Chinese knock off Products claiming Made in USA?

SnwMnkys

Bought an IPR sensor for my Super Duty off Ebay. I filtered for only OEM Ford ones but didn't pay attention to where it was coming from. After it not showing up for a while I noticed it was coming from China. Doesn't make sense to build something in the US, ship it to China to have it shipped back to the US.

Are they counterfeiting the packaging and claiming made in the US now?

Attachments

• 20220804_085842.jpg
    20220804_085842.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220804_085847.jpg
    20220804_085847.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 13

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Bought an IPR sensor for my Super Duty off Ebay. I filtered for only OEM Ford ones but didn't pay attention to where it was coming from. After it not showing up for a while I noticed it was coming from China. Doesn't make sense to build something in the US, ship it to China to have it shipped back to the US.

Are they counterfeiting the packaging and claiming made in the US now?
Yes. I ordered motorcraft spark plugs and coils a few years ago from amazon and when I installed them I had 3 cylinders missing. I pulled them all out and did some research... I got chinese knockoffs. It's pretty bad...

They looked legit too, but there were subtle tells in the product markings.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Yep. There are some youtube videos that show the slight differences in packaging. Ebay needs to step up their seller reviews to prevent this.

You can report the seller.. and I would for sure get you money back.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yes, not car parts but I bought some Gillette shaving blades on Amazon and about 6 months after the purchase I received a notification from Amazon that they were not genuine Gillette products.

They instructed me toss them in the trash and sent me a refund. The packaging looked identical to Gillette brand, you would have never known the difference. They didn't last as long or work as well as the originals.

The Chinese are getting pretty sneaky with packaging their copycat products and passing them off as originals to get full price values out of cheap items.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Counterfeit Motorcraft parts are the worst I’ve seen—ever. It’s unreal how close they look to being genuine right down to the packaging. Glowplugs and spark plugs especially get them from a reputable source for sure.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We had a large batch of counterfeit Nox sensors cause a lot of trouble last year at work. Crazy thing is, those actually came from a Freightliner dealer.

SnwMnkys

Sent it back and got a refund. They also claimed their sensor is Made in Mexico even though the package says made in the USA. So they dont even know what theyre knocking off. Then this week I received a second one from them? In-between then I ordered one from an actual Ford parts distributor. Heres what a legit one looks like versus the knock off product. The legit one on the right appears to be double packaged.

7.3 IPR CM-5013 Incase anyone is googling this.

20220818_163745.jpg20220818_163750.jpgEbay message.jpg

4x4_Welder

Yes. I ordered motorcraft spark plugs and coils a few years ago from amazon and when I installed them I had 3 cylinders missing. I pulled them all out and did some research... I got chinese knockoffs. It's pretty bad...

They looked legit too, but there were subtle tells in the product markings.
I went through this at work a couple years back. They would last a few hundred miles and drop the center electrode out. There was a big recall on them from corporate and I had to redo spark plug jobs in six of my V10s.