Chips, Boxes, and Utah Vendors

kirk86CJ

I just put guages in my 2003 HO Dodge with the auto. I want a mild chip for towing - not interested in racing anyone. I don't want to do anything that will hurt the tranny.
I have basically decided to get the Van Aaken 3.1 tow module. I think i can get it for around $350.00 I has 3 settings 0, 40, 70. It is a pressure box, but saposedly gives most pressure at low rpm, then backs off at higher rpm - this (they say) keeps it safe.
The reason a really like this is the 40 hp setting. I have heard that the torque converter is only good for an addition 50 hp. I sometimes tow as much as 14k pounds - I wouldn't dare have a box on a setting higher than 40.

Question - anyone heard anything bad about these boxes? Is there a better one for less than $500.00.

Also, what vendors are there in Utah that sell this type of stuff.

Thanks
Kirk

Matt

Give Performance Chips of Utah a call, Brett or Bob could probably tell you everything you want to know.:D

Jeeptj1998

kirk86CJ said:
I just put guages in my 2003 HO Dodge with the auto. I want a mild chip for towing - not interested in racing anyone. I don't want to do anything that will hurt the tranny.
I have basically decided to get the Van Aaken 3.1 tow module. I think i can get it for around $350.00 I has 3 settings 0, 40, 70. It is a pressure box, but saposedly gives most pressure at low rpm, then backs off at higher rpm - this (they say) keeps it safe.
The reason a really like this is the 40 hp setting. I have heard that the torque converter is only good for an addition 50 hp. I sometimes tow as much as 14k pounds - I wouldn't dare have a box on a setting higher than 40.

Question - anyone heard anything bad about these boxes? Is there a better one for less than $500.00.

Also, what vendors are there in Utah that sell this type of stuff.

Thanks
Kirk

I have 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins HO with the 48re Auto Tranny and I have the Edge EZ chip. I really like it, seems to help my Hand Calculated Gas Milage, and well as give me the power I need for tower. I just watch my Tranny Temp and by EGT Temp.