Chop saw blades

Kevin B.

Big hippy
A while back I scored a free chop saw that needed some work from an RMEer (DaveB?). It's been collecting dust, but I'm tired of trying to freehand my cuts with an angle grinder and I'm going to try to bring it back to life. First things first I need a blade, and I'd love some advice on that score...

How bad do the abrasive blades suck? A good toothed blade is not in my budget right now, but if that's what I'm going to want then I'll spend as little as I can on a cheap abrasive while I get the saw running. If a good abrasive blade will serve, then I'll go ahead and buy a good one right now.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You need to make sure your saw is the right speed for a toothed wheel. If it is too fast or slow it will rip the teeth off. In the mean time I like the dewalt or hilti abrasive blades.

Rock Taco

I have only used abrasive blades and the dewalt ones last for a while. How many cuts do you think you will be making? Also don't try to make your cuts super fast and that will help conserve them.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Most abrasive saws cut about 4000 RPM the evolution saws cut at 1500 RPM so I doubt you could run a carbide tipped blade in your saw

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I dunno if hes just got the right combo or what but the guys at metalmart sold my brother a dewalt chop saw and a toothed blade and he had used it quite a bit with no issues. I now own that saw and have used it a couple times with no issue at all, cuts like butter. It cut through a set of leaf springs without even blinking when abrasive blades would just make a hot spot and then do absolutely nothing. I wear a full face shield when I use it but that's just because I've gotten in the habit of full face shields with any metal cutting/grinding tool. But it does work.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have used 14" abrasive cutoff wheels from Milwaukee, Norton and Sait and have had very good results with either. I agree with others, don't waste your money on the HF crap.

Mike.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Bumping this up because I'm really going to get a chop saw. I mean it this time.

@skippy, are you still keen on that Evolution saw, three years later? I like the idea of the combo blade doing whatever I want but I'm worried it'll be a "do everything poorly" sort of situation. Home Depot has them for under $200.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Kevin, the one you used at my place is an Evolution Evosaw 380 (called Raptor in some places). It's the big brother and comes in closer to $400
I've had it for 5 years now and really like it. There are times when a nice self-feeding, horizontal bandsaw would be nice, but this takes up much less room. Advantages of a toothed blade over abrasive is you can get it sharpened and it doesn't lose any depth of cut with use. In use, use very light pressure or you will dull the blade faster. Oh yeah, like an abrasive saw, use eye and ear protection.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I read some reviews about the smaller, cheaper one and it seemed like people pretty much said to save your money and buy the bigger one because it is substantially better.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Do you use the combo blade? Have you had it get dull yet?
It's the 66 tooth 14" for mild steel and that's what I use it for (well, that and hunks of wood 2x4 to get an angle set correctly.
I've had it sharpened once in the 5 yrs I've had it. That was about 3 1/2 years ago then I learned to use lighter pressure when I cut.
The blade is made in Japan if that means anything.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
New tools are so exciting! I pulled the trigger on one yesterday, and I'm pretty pleased so far. The info online says the 14" version that I bought and Eric's 15" have the same motor, a 15a 1800w dealy. When I got it out of the box though the sticker said 2200w? Neat. I suspect that the 15" version has a broader heavier base, which would be nice for sure, and the larger blade would mean larger cuts but this one will handle over 4" square and that ought to be plenty for me and my silly little bootyfab projects.

It's fast. Faster than any abrasive saw I've used in the past (and a million times faster than a cutoff wheel on my little angle grinder which is what I've been using :D). It really is a nice clean cut too, it leaves a little bit of flash on the last edge on occasion but it doesn't need nearly the cleanup that I'm used to. This one has the combo blade that's supposed to do everything. I haven't tried it on aluminum or wood yet but it's working great on the 2" 3/16ths square tube I'm working with now, and as long as it doesn't get dull too fast I don't know that I'll need to buy a dedicated steel blade? We'll see.

I wish it had a lock to keep the handle in the down position, but that's just because I'm cramped for space and don't have anywhere to set it up and leave it. I'll probably rig up a strap or something to keep it compact while it's on the shelf. But that's my only complaint so far. I should have bought one of these a long time ago.

20180510_084719[1].jpg 20180510_084731[1].jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
It's been quite a while, but I'm pretty sure I took it to American Saw and Hammering. If I remember right, it was about $35. Most places that can sharpen carbide can also replace a missing tooth.

2002maniac

I have the evolution sliding miter saw and it is awesome! It's probably not as beefy as the larger saw but I have done a bunch of cuts on up to 1/4" thick steel and it has done great. The miter is very precise as well. I had to cut some 45s for a project and fitup was excellent.