Christmas Tree Lights

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'll decorate for Halloween, but want nothing to do with decorating for Christmas.
I'm the opposite. I rather enjoy tasteful Christmas decorations. Dunno, maybe its because I grew up in a house where my mom always did really classy Pottery Barn/Modern Display-esq decorations that I really enjoy taking the time to make my house look good for the holidays.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This is the first year I have ever put lights on our house. I did it while everyone was gone and was a fun surprise for them when they got home. The payback I received was worth the effort.

We usually travel to Arizona for the week of Christmas, so its hard to get too excited about decorating for Christmas, or even putting the tree up. I'd be fine to skip it all.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I just paid $400 to have the eave outlets installed. That said I'm hoping to install one and done lights next year which I've wanted to do for a while. This is a little video on the setup.

The problem with putting up lights on the inside tree is that I seem to always pick a charlie brown tree, partly because I'm cheap and wouldn't drop big money at the tree lot or the choices are just meh. We are also in the "never fake" tree camp and this year and last cut one down with Wasatch Cruisers up in the Uintas after Thanksgiving. That was awesome and going up with the family and spending the whole day doing something like that makes the memory much better while having a scrawny up in the house. Right now our tree is in a bucket in my parents garage. lol. #soon

Houndoc

Like the tree decorating, but will admit lights are not the fun part.

Far better than outside lights, but that can really be blamed on the fact that I don't care to heights and our current roof is too step for my taste.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm a roofing contractor so ladders or cold don't bother me. It's the fact that I'm so busy, I never take stuff like that down. I've been married 12 years and this is the first year I did lights on the house. I did lights around our front porch like 5 years ago after my wife begged me, and they were there until like June so I haven't done them since. My kids are now old enough to REALLY want them, so I had one of my repair guys help me throw them up on the eaves before it snowed. I'm glad I did it because I wouldn't have gotten to it had I waited until after the snow and my kids would think I was a scrooge.
My wife is OCD about doing a magazine-worthy tree so I let her do her thing. We have 17' ceiling in our great room so I kind of want a 15' tree for the wow-factor but then I'd be tasked with decorating the upper portion on the ladder while my wife directs from below. That sounds like my worst nightmare, so I think we'll stick to the 7' fake tree.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Until those lights don't work when you pull it out the next year........ Story of my life.
This is why I ditched the pre lit tree. Now I go cut one down with the family, then string the lights on loose and sloppy. It's good enough for us and easy to remove when the season is done. We dont need a "Modern Display" Festival of Trees display at our house. Just a fun representation of the spirit of the season! I'm not perfect, so my decorations dont need to be either!

Coco

This is why I ditched the pre lit tree. Now I go cut one down with the family, then string the lights on loose and sloppy. It's good enough for us and easy to remove when the season is done. We dont need a "Modern Display" Festival of Trees display at our house. Just a fun representation of the spirit of the season! I'm not perfect, so my decorations dont need to be either!

Agreed. I am now stringing lights on a non-working pre-lit tree every year. Its easier than trying to hunt down the bad bulbs on pre-lit trees, but would like to do a fresh tree sometime. I'm already stringing lights, might as well enjoy the smell of a real tree too.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have a long standing fight with the wife about lights on the house. Our house is a split entry, eves are 20' off the ground. I did them a couple times and decided if loose feeling in my lower extremities (mostly my smallest lower extremity) it's going to be from a motorcycle accident, not hanging Christmas lights. She thinks I'm overstating the risk. Maybe it's not much of a loss for her. Either way, no house lights for the last decade.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a long standing fight with the wife about lights on the house. Our house is a split entry, eves are 20' off the ground. I did them a couple times and decided if loose feeling in my lower extremities (mostly my smallest lower extremity) it's going to be from a motorcycle accident, not hanging Christmas lights. She thinks I'm overstating the risk. Maybe it's not much of a loss for her. Either way, no house lights for the last decade.

If she helps warm things.... (nah, not worth it)