CJ front axle... build?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've done this a few times now. If it were me, I would cut it to dimensions that allowed you to run off the shelf inner axle shafts. I would also do as Carl suggested. Mix and match some inners to get you around 58" WMS. I know Waggy axles come in a 59" flavor, but you will have to outboard the springs with a Waggy. Actually, I think a scout is 58" and that looks too wide for this build. 56" and call it good.

If I can find inners that will fit, I'll run them. That Billavista article has some great inner axle measurements, for off the shelf inner axles. I think it's info from Warn? I want to run 4340 shafts, for a bit more peace of mind.

I did look at custom inner axle prices and Dutchman has pretty decent prices, but still $400/pair.

I agree, 56" wide seems like a happy medium.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If I can find inners that will fit, I'll run them. That Billavista article has some great inner axle measurements, for off the shelf inner axles. I think it's info from Warn? I want to run 4340 shafts, for a bit more peace of mind.

I did look at custom inner axle prices and Dutchman has pretty decent prices, but still $400/pair.

I agree, 56" wide seems like a happy medium.
Yukon has a great website for the measurements as well.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do you remember how wide early Toyota minitruck stuff is? I'm remembering 55" front, 54" rear, give or take. I thought those widths worked pretty well under my old flatty.

So yeah, 55"ish front. Or whatever allows you to run easily-available shafts. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You can buy the axles from a Roxor for really cheap from the dealer. Lots of good info on them. they are basically a dana 44.

I think I saw a price of $1200 somewhere? I realize it's a brand new axle, but that's a decent bit of coin for a funky Dana 44.

gertsch

you can do a 30 spline conversion on them and supposedly will take a regular dana 44 carrier and gearset. don't quote me on the last part. there is a bunch of cool stuff the flatty guys have been figuring out with them.