Wanted CJ Hood

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I didn't know there was a difference. I'm using a '72 hood so I guess that won't work.

I am pretty sure it was 1971 that Jeep went to the inline 6 engine and change the CJ5 wheel base from 80” to 84” to make it fit.

Might need to double check the year.

Let me know if I can help you.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I am pretty sure it was 1971 that Jeep went to the inline 6 engine and change the CJ5 wheel base from 80” to 84” to make it fit.

Might need to double check the year.

Let me know if I can help you.

Pretty sure that's 1973. I think '72 and older were all the shorter lengths.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
72's are a weird year. I fixed one up for my friend and being the first year that AMC owned Jeep some of the parts were older Willys parts and others were newer AMC parts. I ended up having to use some 73 parts and some older than that.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It’s easy to tell which hood you need by looking at the front fenders. At the rear of the tire opening there is a small horizontal area that extends to the rear of the fender. If that horizontal run is just an inch or so, you need a short hood. If it’s more like 6”, you need a long one

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
It’s easy to tell which hood you need by looking at the front fenders. At the rear of the tire opening there is a small horizontal area that extends to the rear of the fender. If that horizontal run is just an inch or so, you need a short hood. If it’s more like 6”, you need a long one
Great point Brian!

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
The hood is originally of a '72 CJ-5 with the 3.8L straight 6.
If I just measure the overall length of the hood is that a good enough measurement?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The hood is originally of a '72 CJ-5 with the 3.8L straight 6.
If I just measure the overall length of the hood is that a good enough measurement?
If it was an original straight 6, you need the 72 and later long hood. Anything 72-86 will work - CJ5, CJ7, CJ8.

Yes, a simple overall length measurement is all you need to match.

Pile of parts

I just measured mine for you so you have a reference. Mine is the longer style. I measured in the center from front to back and just eyeballed the measurement as I did not bend the tape measure to follow the contour of the hood on the front edge. It was between 39 3/4 - 40". Hope that helps you identify what you need.