CJ Spring Setup

My little brother just bought a 78 CJ-5. It needs springs and shocks *BAD*. He wants to get a 2.5 inch lift. I don't really know much about what people are running on jeeps, so I am just looking for ideas. We are trying to keep it kinda cheap. He has been looking at a lift kit from Rancho, or Rubicon Express.. Thoughts? Thanks.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Stay away from Ranchos, atleast with it Sprung Under. I found some used CJ 4" Skyjacker softrides at a local 4x4 shop for $120. Look around at shops and see what they have. Rubicon Exp. springs are good, but expensive.

burke

I have had good luck with skyjacker 4 inch springs. I would go with the 4" because you only get about 3" of lift. Which will also work well if you decide to go spring over. I think the ranchos are to stiff in a spring under situation and the only other lift spring I have run on my 7 is tuff-countrys and my kidneys are still sore.

Thanks for the replies.. If he goes with the Skyjacker 4" lift, he will have to get new brake lines, pitman arm, and possibly drop the t-case or mess with the drivelines though, correct?

DToy

I put some 4" Skyjackers on a '74 CJ-5 that I used to own and didn't have to do anything with drivelines or brake lines. I'd still go that route and see if you need to drop the T-case or modify brakelines. Skyjackers are the way to go IMO, and he'll regret only going with the 2-1/2".