CJ7/8

I've been working on this project for a few years, which is a long time for me. Seriously, from my track record, that's a long time owning the same rig. I switched directions from changing it to a Willys truck to leaving it a stretched CJ. Recent mods include the new CJ louvered hood and early CJ grill. We're also completing a much needed roll bar build. I realize builds like this are a dime a dozen, but I thought I'd share anyway. Thanks to a patient wife and help from friends it will be down to Winter 4x4 Jamboree next week. First time on the rocks in over 6 months.
CJ2.JPGc1.JPGc2.JPG

Bart

I was hoping to get the new color on the hood and grill before next week, but do to the cage work that didn't happen. I did manage to get some good primer sealer on so it's somewhat protected from the moisture.
paintbooth1.JPGpaintbooth2.JPG

Bart

Running a Chev 5.7, 700r4, Atlas II 3.8, 60 front 14 bolt rear, and 4.88s. New update this morning and I'm as excited about this as almost anything so far.

Attachments

• zplate.JPG
    zplate.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 7

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Running a Chev 5.7, 700r4, Atlas II 3.8, 60 front 14 bolt rear, and 4.88s. New update this morning and I'm as excited about this as almost anything so far.

Welcome to the "old iron" club.

Look forward to seeing you next week.

What are you running? We have John's Trail Friday and Plan B Saturday...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Are you going to add in some of the triangulation that was missing in your old-version cage?

Bart

Thanks all.

Welcome to the "old iron" club.

Look forward to seeing you next week.

What are you running? We have John's Trail Friday and Plan B Saturday...

I'm gunning Double Sammy on Friday and Milt's Mile on Saturday. See you there.

Are you going to add in some of the triangulation that was missing in your old-version cage?

Adding a lot of things that were missing on the old cage, mostly looks and functionality. Can't wait to add the bling that you're bringing to town.

Bart

I never did post pics of the CJ front clip installed so here goes. I was extremely happy with the way the roll cage turned out and Carl (ILean) made the bling filler panels on the B pillar with speed holes. The rig did extremely well at Winter 4x4 Jam, but still has some issues. My original plan was to come back and prep for paint before EJS but that has changed. I have decided to get it running and driving well before going into body work. First projects will be to fix an overheating problem and address a sticking TV cable valve in the tranny. After that I need to get some tunes working, fix the rock lights, finish triangulating the roll bar, enclose the rear fenders, install a rear tow point, and about 50 other small items. Wish I would have gotten some pics on the trail.
fclip1.JPGfclip2.JPG

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Looks great, Long CJs are awesome!

maybe we can get the body work done on both of ours at the same time... (oh wait, I have kids that is where all my money is going!)

Function before fashion, despite what Clay says. :D

Bart

I've been doing a ton of work on the CJ in prep for EJS, so much so, that I didn't get to some of the things that I actually have parts for. Items checked off the list since Winter 4x4 Jamboree have included:
Moving the trans cooler out of the radiator into an external cooler
Installing trans gauge
Installing oil cooler
Installing steering cooler
Fabbing bump stops

The work that has taken me the longest has been prepping and finally installing some inner fenders in the rear. I had to lower my rear suspension mounts 1" which was a ton of work, then build some supports to support the sagging tub floor. It seriously had 5" of droop in it. After that I was able build and install the fender wells, and floor patches. I didn't have time to finish them like I wanted but they are finally in for Safari. It will be nice not have rocks, dirt, and mud flipping up into the tub. I'll eventually remove all of the crappy bed liner and either paint or add a quality type of liner. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• ifender1.JPG
    ifender1.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 35
  • ifender2.JPG
    ifender2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 34

Bart

The rig worked really in Moab although it still has a couple of issues. I had just fixed one problem and went to Potato Salad Hill to test it out. After doing the main hill on the right, left, and middle, I decided to try a far right line I did in the old Willys buggy. It almost crawled until the front end sprang loose and went sideways quickly. Thank goodness for shift gates cut out of the Speedway shifter to reverse, and quick throttle response, and I was able to save the roll. It did loosen something up so my drive train moves about a 1/4" which causes my rear CV to occasionally hit the cross member. It also overheated on long climbs so I need to build a shroud of figure out how squeeze my Taurus fan between the radiator and motor.
CarliMe.jpgIMG_2954.JPGIMG_2953.JPGIMG_2955.JPGIMG_2958.JPGIMG_2956.JPG

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Do you wish this thing sat lower? It sits higher than the normal LCG builds were used to seeing and all love so much, but in a real world scenario do you wish it was lower?