Cj7 w/ sb350 and cooling....and carbureting...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a friend that struggled with overheating issues with a V8 powered YJ, typically at higher speeds. He tried several different radiators and fans but nothing fixed the problem. The problem ended up being a simple fix, the lower radiator hose did not have a spring in it and would collapse restricting the water flow. He put a spring in the hose and no more overheating.

I've had that on a Buick 455 before as well. (not the one I have now)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is all good stuff. It's currently a quadrajet carb. Is that 670 carb the wrong size?
It could be that your float is set too high. Britney had a Quadrajet until last year, and she still climbed all over Sand Hollow with the previous owner.

Reactions: DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This is all good stuff. It's currently a quadrajet carb. Is that 670 carb the wrong size?

I used this all the time when I worked at Super Shops to determine needed carb size for any engine using maths... aka Volumetric Efficiency;

Cubic Inches x RPM / 3456 = CFM (cubic feet per minute)

A stock 350 probably isn't going to rev over 5,500 RPM, so 350 x 5500 ÷ 3456 = 557 CFM

Better to have a bigger carb than needed, verses smaller... so 650 CFM is just fine.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Although the overheating could be caused by the fan / radiator don’t overlook the block passages being clogged. When I ran my 4.2 in my CJ7 I put a motorcraft,,, 2200 or maybe it was a 2500 on it and it ran fine at angles. Still have it and it has very low miles on it.