Cleaning up fenders

Omgbecki

Hey peeps. I have some smittybilt steel fenders on the jeep. The powder coat has been flaking for a while and I finally got the time to address them. My question. What is a good way to clean these up for either painting or getting the powder redone. I have no idea what it would cost to get blasted or how much actual work it will take. if anyone could chime in on which would be more cost effective that would be great. I do have a basic knowledge of what to do but no practical experience

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Call a powdercoater they'll be happy to quote you.

Funny I did a set of Smittybilt fenders that were flaking too. I guess they cheap out on powdercoat or poor prep.

I sprayed mine with aircraft paint remover and went nuts with a wire wheel on a grinder. Then primed and Rust-Oleum Hammered Black. But 10 years ago I had more time and less money.

Omgbecki

I contacted armour coating. They quoted me 75 a fender. Does that sound even close to right? I'll be really upset if it's been this cheap all along.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I contacted armour coating. They quoted me 75 a fender. Does that sound even close to right? I'll be really upset if it's been this cheap all along.
Yes, that sounds about right. Make double sure you get good sandblasting and pre-treatment/primers.