Topic of Discussion CO2 Bottle Size for airing up tires.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
For those that do, what size do you typically run for a cylinder to air up your tires. I work at Norco so price for air/gas isn't an issue for me. Just wondering what size people typically run and how many trips it lasts them. Thankyou in advance.

AaronPaige

I run with a ten pounder in the buggy, and have been told it will air up 30 tires. I have only used it to reseat a few beads (42-54in tire). But the regulator is capable of 300psi and that helps a ton, great trail tool.

LJTim

I use a 10 pounder I have 37's. I've only used it like 3-4 times. I'm not sure how many fills I'll get out of it, but I found a super cheap place to fill it up in Draper and they're fast too. PS, pic shows it laying down, but when I fill, I have to stand it up.IMG_E8911.JPG

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've got a 20# someone gave me they found during a neighborhood clean up thing. The place I usually went to fill it closed though and I have no idea where to go now. My tank is pretty big and heavy. If I was buying new and concerned with space I'd consider going smaller.

Pike2350

I have a 10#. I have no idea how long it lasts. I seem to think it runs out before it should but i really have no way of knowing. I think my regulator is bad so it arroz before im truly out.

I think 10# is great for most people though. Id only go 20# if i had a hard time getting it filled and didn't want it as portable.

A great place to get them filled, or swapped ut like i do is Universal Cylinder, although they changed their name not too long ago. They are on 900 west at about 1900 south

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I have both a 5lb and a 10lb. I haven't used the 5 in a looooooong time. The 10lber will fill my 40's probably 4 to 5 times from 5 psi to street pressure. While in Moab, I'll usually only air up to low teens to conserve CO2 and it lasts for more than a week of trails.

I'm looking for a good place to refill my bottles vs. exchange. Does Norco fill?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I have both a 5lb and a 10lb. I haven't used the 5 in a looooooong time. The 10lber will fill my 40's probably 4 to 5 times from 5 psi to street pressure. While in Moab, I'll usually only air up to low teens to conserve CO2 and it lasts for more than a week of trails.

I'm looking for a good place to refill my bottles vs. exchange. Does Norco fill?
Depends on which one you go to. The Orem store I work at will exchange the bottle but the Salt Lake store has the fill plant right next to it. With CO2 they can do a same day fill up but depending on if they're backed up it can be 2-3 business days. It's at the Fill Plants discretion. If you're filling any other Gases it depends on how many they are filling due to bottle heating and other requirements.

Simply put, CO2 can be same day fill-up on a good day, at worst 2-3 business days. Any other gas, a lot of other variables change the timeframe.

AaronPaige

I have used a paint ball shop to fill mine in the past(25$) but I’m not sure if there still around... mine is the polished bottle so I want it filled and returned not beat up or exchanged for a old one, any other fill locations?

Pike2350

Universal cylindetr will do the fill up. I believe they told me it was a 24 hour turn around. I have only had breast up ones so i just usually exchange for $18-20 or so.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Utah Air guns in Orem fills carbon fiber scuba tanks to 3500 psi so they should be able to fill C02 tanks too. I'd check them out. They are on state street in the old Van Wagonens building.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I use nitrogen since we use it alot to fill up shocks around here. It cost the same and you get the same psi per tank but i guess you get more out of co2. I like the nitrogen because it leaks out of my beadlocks more slowly and isnt as susceptible to temperature.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't know when you guys have last been to Universal Cylinder but they are not on 9th west anymore. That was my go to place but its been shuttered at least since summer. I prefer to exchange so I don't have to go back or wait but if I have to I'd do either. My tank has been empty since spring.

I don't rock crawl and only have 33s on my cruiser. I go from about 45 psi down to 20 or so when I air down so a big 20#er like I have lasts me a long time. I end up using it around the shop to blow sawdust a bunch because its been more convenient than firing up the compressor.

Pike2350

I don't know when you guys have last been to Universal Cylinder but they are not on 9th west anymore. That was my go to place but its been shuttered at least since summer. I prefer to exchange so I don't have to go back or wait but if I have to I'd do either. My tank has been empty since spring.

They did change their name but i didn't know they shut their doors. A little googling and i see they are now owned by/a susidiary of Rocky Mountain Air, which was US Welding. Their website says they still do the services. Maybe you have to go to their location now. It's at 1000 S Redwood Rd?

http://www.rockymountainair.com/services/universal-cylinder-services/

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I use a 10 pounder I have 37's. I've only used it like 3-4 times. I'm not sure how many fills I'll get out of it, but I found a super cheap place to fill it up in Draper and they're fast too. PS, pic shows it laying down, but when I fill, I have to stand it up.View attachment 117112
Where in Draper? I have a 10 pound power tank and it works great. Never counted the fill ups but universal cylinder was my go to for recertification and fill ups after Airgas started to give me the run around.

LJTim

Where in Draper? I have a 10 pound power tank and it works great. Never counted the fill ups but universal cylinder was my go to for recertification and fill ups after Airgas started to give me the run around.
I use Premier Medical Distribution. they are a couple blocks west of i15 on 12300 S. Fast and cheap. I don't remember how much I paid, but it was cheaper than I expected. Maybe like $10