Cody's '85 4Runner "SUV"

Owners Name & City- Cody Colvin, Salt Lake City

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1985 Toyota 4Runner

Engine- stock 22re

Transmission- w56

T-Case- dual stock cases

Axles- stock toyota, e-locker rear, about to install 5.29s and detroit front with longfields and chromo inners.

Suspension- Allpro 5" front, centerpins moved 3" farther forward. Allpro 5.5" rears with fixed traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 15x10 crome mods, 37x12.50 SSRs

Winch- Don't have a picture of her...OOh, WINCH, with an I.

Favorite Trails- I like the 3 1/2 to 4+ trails in moab...hard enough to make it fun but not to the point of vehicle abuse.

Other- On board air, rear axle moved 6" back, home-fabbed crossover steering, custom quick detach mud flaps, street legal.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
A link to one I posted in another thread:

Pic

Here's one with the top on- poser shot though. Also another from Lower Helldorado.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
How much? Well, let's find out:

Clean '85 - $2600
Timing chain, change all fluids, plugs, etc - $400
Lift springs - $600
Shackle hardware - $50
Front driveshaft work - $225
Materials for bumper & sliders - $100
Crossover steering stuff - $160
Parts truck - $700 ('86 Runner for PS box, t-case, rear axle)
E-locker - $400
5.29s for it - $325
5.29 3rd w/Detroit for the front (used) - $500
Longfields on sale - $160
Chromo inners on sale - $140
Knuckle rebuild kit - $90
Rear wheelbearings and seals - $100
Traction bar materials - $50
T-case doubler - $475
Budbuilt crossmember - $275
Tires (used) & wheels - $1000
Body supplies & paint - $500
On board air - $250

Total: $9100

A bunch of miscellaneous bolts, cleaners, etc. I guess I'm probably into it $10k. I didn't pay for any work except the driveline and rear gear set-up. I was able to trade the rest of the parts truck for the body work and paint labor also. If I was doing it again I would probably go with junkyard springs (rears up front and chevys out back) to save some dough, and I wouldn't have made it that pretty if I didn't get such a deal on the bodywork & paint.

suv said:
How much? Well, let's find out:

Clean '85 - $2600
Timing chain, change all fluids, plugs, etc - $400
Lift springs - $600
Shackle hardware - $50
Front driveshaft work - $225
Materials for bumper & sliders - $100
Crossover steering stuff - $160
Parts truck - $700 ('86 Runner for PS box, t-case, rear axle)
E-locker - $400
5.29s for it - $325
5.29 3rd w/Detroit for the front (used) - $500
Longfields on sale - $160
Chromo inners on sale - $140
Knuckle rebuild kit - $90
Rear wheelbearings and seals - $100
Traction bar materials - $50
T-case doubler - $475
Budbuilt crossmember - $275
Tires (used) & wheels - $1000
Body supplies & paint - $500
On board air - $250

Total: $9100

A bunch of miscellaneous bolts, cleaners, etc. I guess I'm probably into it $10k. I didn't pay for any work except the driveline and rear gear set-up. I was able to trade the rest of the parts truck for the body work and paint labor also. If I was doing it again I would probably go with junkyard springs (rears up front and chevys out back) to save some dough, and I wouldn't have made it that pretty if I didn't get such a deal on the bodywork & paint.

Very cool. Man, for 10 g's, that is a sweet ride. I'm jealouse. Keep it upright.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Thanks, bro. Like most of our rigs, I have to thank the friends and shops that helped out. Man, looking at your avitar makes me anxious to get back to Moab. Haven't done Poison Spider in a few years, and it's one of my favorites.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
sweet ride...... you know paul rossiter(stripeshirtman on RME) :D ? in the same ward huh?.... don't lie, he's sitting here next to me!

for 10K's that thing is bad@$$!!!!! :cool:

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Goodness, I look into the money I have put into my vehicle I could have bought a new Rubicon. 10 K is not bad at all!

How did you rig your mud flaps?? I need ideas.

richpblaze

Mud Flaps

PierCed_3 said:
Goodness, I look into the money I have put into my vehicle I could have bought a new Rubicon. 10 K is not bad at all!

How did you rig your mud flaps?? I need ideas.

Go to White Freightliner or another semi-truck shop you can buy brackets and flaps for about 30.00 (Have them cut them to size) I'm running mine upside down. Pull a hitch pin and there off. That's the cheapest and easiest way I was able to find. Blaze

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Elder Sami...Of course I know Paul! I've seen your Zuk rolling around here a few times, too, but I don't know if we've ever met. Let's go wheelin' sometime.

As for the flaps:

I had built the bumper already, and thought for a while how I could rig them. Here's some photos of the design I came up with. I just made a bracket out of some 1/8" steel strap and bent a piece of 1/2" rod in a U shape. I welded a washer on the one side, and drilled a hole for a hitch pin. Now I can just pull the pin and yank 'em. I got the flaps from Pep Boys for about $20. They're just right for my 12.50s, but the semi flaps would be better for bigger tires.

On my buddy's truck (bobbed p/u), the setup was a little different. He had a jeep bumper welded on that was much narrower. We welded a square tube to the bumper, and hooked the flaps to a smaller square tube that would slide in. A pin was used to secure them. This wouldn't work on my rig because the bumper was right where the flaps needed to be.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
suv said:
Elder Sami...Of course I know Paul! I've seen your Zuk rolling around here a few times, too, but I don't know if we've ever met. Let's go wheelin' sometime.

Paul and I are hopefully gonna do some quick test runs, towing my zuk to 5 mile to get ready for EJS... when we get dates we'll let ya know for sure. i sat out in front of your house admiring your toy afew weeks ago.... i almost got out and knocked on your door, but didn't..... obviously.... lots of toyotas 'round your house! :D

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Sweet yota! My little bro would be totally jealous, he's 15 and has like 500 bones to shell out at this point. I'll have him check out your rig (maybe he'll get a job then) l.o.l. :D