Cody's First Frame - 1980 CJ7 Family Trail Build

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
A 1" body lift isn't bad, especially if used like Skippy said to clock the tcase to flat. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless the pucks are cracked or falling apart.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would also vote to keep the body lift. If the pucks are cracked, I would still replace them with new 1" pucks.

Since your engine and trans have been changed, they may keep you from removing the puck lift.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
OK then... I guess I need to figure out a suspension setup that will lower it 2-3" then.

@xj_nate what are we talking about here. Stock yj leafs? I've seen mention of OME leafs? I guess I need to modify spring perches to accept the wider leaf springs?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
OK then... I guess I need to figure out a suspension setup that will lower it 2-3" then.

@xj_nate what are we talking about here. Stock yj leafs? I've seen mention of OME leafs? I guess I need to modify spring perches to accept the wider leaf springs?
Your stock leaf spring hangers will accept 2.5” springs in the front. You just need to swap out the perches on the axle.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

I run stock YJ leafs from Crown automotive on my XJ. You can choose between 3 or 4 leaf packs IIRC. I would move frame mounts forward in the front and back in the rear before running longer springs. I see no performance changes in my XJ after moving to YJ springs and not having the shackles hang out a mile is amazing.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Your stock leaf spring hangers will accept 2.5” springs in the front. You just need to swap out the perches on the axle.
Is this an unbolt old, install new or cut off old, reweld new sort of project? Seems like on my taco the perches were welded to the housing.

One would think having been around for 20+ years I would know this basic stuff. I'm leaf spring dumb

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Love seeing a CJ getting some attention. I used the Daves Unlimited outboarding kit (as in I bought it and Josh/Unstuck installed it). Pretty beefy and comes with the bumper etc. It keeps the shackles up front so the ride is still bumpy but no weird nose diving characteristics. I have a 1" Bl and is not very noticable. The 2" I had before was too much and looks silly.

Not sure where you are located but you are welcome to take a look or I can post pics.