Cold Chop saw

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So my new to me, but used metal bandsaw let the magic smoke out of the motor a few months ago. I have looked for a replacement motor, but at $100 I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and start over?

I was about to buy a new 4" x 6" HF metal bandsaw, but figured I'd better look at all my options.

I was checking out the Evolution Cold Chop saw and it looks pretty good. They're priced at $240. My concern is that I need to cut some link material and it's massive. Anyone have experience with one of these and cutting thick material? How long do the blades last?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd like to know more about them as well. Mainly the disadvantages. I can definitely see them being faster than my bandsaw.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I have a Rage 2 and it absolutely gets the job done. I've cut through a bunch of inner hitch steel on a couple different projects and the blade hasn't even blinked. It's loud AF and gets chips everywhere, but it's way better than an abrasive saw, cuts cleaner and faster by a mile.

My only regret is that I didn't spend the extra for the miter saw. The 10" blade might not be as fast but the extra flexibility with cuts would be nice.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
What makes that different than sticking a metal blade on a regular chop saw??
I've been cutting that way with a chop saw, table saw, and handheld circle saw lately and really love it.

Greg

Admin
I've been cutting that way with a chop saw, table saw, and handheld circle saw lately and really love it.

My understanding is that they run at a much lower RPM than an abrasive blade chop saw, therefore less heat and a cleaner cut.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The Rage cuts at 1550 RPM. I think most abrasive saws run at around 4000?

My understanding is that they run at a much lower RPM than an abrasive blade chop saw, therefore less heat and a cleaner cut.

And longer blade life.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've had my evolution 380 Raptor for about 5 years and love it. (I'm the one that tool shamed Kevin into buying one :) ).
about the only downside besides what Kevin mentioned: the clamp likes to slide when you cut miters (screw is fixed, pivot face on the moving side of the clamp rotates more and more). to overcome this I usually clamp an angle block to the backstop and clamp the work to the angle block and not use the saw clamp.
Blade life is great and any shop that can sharpen a carbide woodworking blade can sharpen it for you.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have a Fein Slugger 14", and it is the balls.
It's SO much better than the abrasive saw I used for years before that.
The cut quality can't even be compared between the two. The speed of cutting is faster, and the workpiece doesn't really heat up either.

Negatives:
- Expensive
- makes thousands upon thousands of sharp metal burrs every time you use it
- can't cut anything hardened like an abrasive saw can

I'm still on the original blade, so I can't really comment as to the longevity. I can say that I wouldn't hesitate to cut some heavy wall link material in mine though.

RockChucker

my brother has an evolution cold saw. i've used it and it is sweet. the blade lasts a long time and he has had it sharpened multiple times. i've been looking at getting one for myself. definitely more space friendly than a horizontal band saw.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have the rage evolution miter saw and it is pretty awesome. I do hate the chips it sends flying though.

Greg

Admin
The saw arrived yesterday and I was able to unbox it and spend some time setting it up in the shop today.

20210818_120915.jpg
20210818_121626.jpg

The saw itself looks like a quality tool and the blade is incredibly sharp. I appreciate how large the clamp handle is. The blade lock has multiple options so you don't have to spin the blade all the way around to find the lock. It also came with a piece for the clamp that secures round tube better.

20210818_121640.jpg
20210818_121908.jpg

The first piece of material I loaded up in it was some 2" x .250" wall round tube link material. I figured if the saw could cut this stuff, it would have no problem cutting anything else I was going to throw at it.

I went ahead and used the box that it came in to catch the burrs and material that came off the blade, thanks for the heads up on that part! The saw itself is quite loud and earplugs are needed, but it chewed through this thick material in no time at all. The small piece that came off was relatively warm to the touch, not hot like a chop saw. The speed which it cut through this thick material is very impressive and the cut is nice and straight.

20210818_122104.jpg
20210818_122028.jpg

I'm going to be sure to keep safety glasses, hearing protection and gloves around when I plan on using this thing. If the noise it makes and the burrs it puts off could both cause problems, so better safe than sorry.

At this point I'm very happy with the purchase, I think it was a better buy than a Harbor Freight metal band saw. I think both pieces of equipment have their pluses and minuses, and eventually I would like to fix my metal band saw.