Cold Chop saw

Gawynz

Everything you read says, "it's amazing", "cuts like butter", "cool to the touch", etc... I was expecting something good but trying not to set my expectations too high and be disappointed. After trying it out on a few things last night I'm happy to report the reviews aren't all hype, night and day difference over an abrasive saw, big fan.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
How are you guys still liking these saws? I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger. I've been using my dewalt handheld bandsaw for most tubing that doesn't have to be super accurate due to notching but I dread using my abrasive saw anytime I want to cut something other than that.

That and I have a $200 amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket... might as well throw it at one of these...?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How are you guys still liking these saws? I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger. I've been using my dewalt handheld bandsaw for most tubing that doesn't have to be super accurate due to notching but I dread using my abrasive saw anytime I want to cut something other than that.

That and I have a $200 amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket... might as well throw it at one of these...?

Still loving mine, too. I've done a cage, cut 2" link tubing, 1.5" solid steel etc and I'm still using the blade it came with, without needing to have it sharpened. It's a great tool for the guy that does a decent bit of fabrication... its way better than a chop saw.

20211219_151552.jpg

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm going on 12 or so years on mine, and on the second blade. It certainly doesn't get used daily, but still a fair amount of use over the years. I'd buy another today if this one died, but so far so good! The only issue I've had with mine is that one of the three legs broke off the cast crank handle for the clamp. Looks like the newer ones are plastic(?), so maybe it isn't an issue anymore.

Gawynz

I just got mine and love it, that said I haven't used it for more than a handful of times thus far. I think it was @Greg that made the comment about sharp chips, he wasn't kidding, taking the effort to contain them is worth it.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the R355CPS and the EVOSAW380. The price difference is pretty large, the 380 seems to have a better base and clamping system... but I'm not sure it's worth that much more?

I found myself in this same situation a few months ago, I ended up going with the EVOSAW380. Given the reviews on longevity I figured this would be a tool I'd have for a long time and figured I'd pay... I've never used the R355CPS, but the 380 is great. I don't know if it's worth the extra $, but there's my input (though not terribly helpful) ha.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm trying to think if there is any down side to going to one of these versus a band saw. I've had my bandsaw about 18 years now and I've cut a TON of material with it, but it's always been slow and super finicky. The bandsaw does actually still work, but I let a LOT of magic smoke out of it the last time I used it, so the motor isn't long for this world.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well it finally showed up and I'm pretty damn happy with it. Solid machine and it just cuts like nothing is there! I checked the cut and it was dead on with no modifications just like above.
I ended up with the Evosaw380, mostly because the other one I had in my list went out of stock (for who knows how long).

Attachments

• IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8670.jpeg
    IMG_8670.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 24