"Cold" New podcast about Susan Powell

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I thought I remember hearing they thought they found the mine that she was dumped in, they went in to explore and the air quality and conditions kept them from being able to descend any farther into the mine shaft

i've seen that too; that there's a particular mine somewhere out west that it is thought she was dumped in, which was then burned. Mine shafts don't just burn by themselves....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We know he clubbed the boys on the back of the head/neck when he started the fire that killed them all. I just kinda assume he did something similar to Susan.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Re: mine grates, he had a oxy/acetylene setup
Re: mine on fire, very suspect
Re: other mines that could be potentials, we were threatened from searching them

Personally I think he went north. He didn't camp at Simpson Springs

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I think Josh unsuccessfully tried to poison Susan. Then roofied Susan and handed the body off to his Dad half way between Utah and Washington... who knows what Steven Powell did or how long he kept her alive before disposing of her. That way Josh could honestly say he didn't know where she was.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

Whoa

--

One area he believes will be scrutinized soon is near Pendleton, Ore., where Michael Powell — the brother of Susan Powell's husband Josh — allegedly had car problems while driving back to Washington from Utah just two weeks after Susan went missing. He sold his 1997 silver Ford Taurus to Lindell Salvage there for $100.

West Valley police did not find out about the sold car until August or September of 2011. At that point, Deputy Chief Phil Quinlan said Michael Powell became an elevated person of interest in the Susan Powell investigation.

"We interviewed Michael shortly after we discovered his car. We went back to interview Michael about his involvement in the case. During that interview he was extremely nervous, he was evasive, he provided incorrect information about the car — he didn't know we had the car, and we broke the news to him that we had his car. He lied to us about where it broke down," Quinlan said.

West Valley detectives traveled to Pendleton and found the car "had been stripped of some parts such as the right front passenger door, taillights, steering components etc.," a police report from September 2011 states. A cadaver dog was brought to the yard and "intensely searched the back portion of the vehicle and then indicated by a final result of sitting." The vehicle was sealed in plastic by police the next day and was towed to a holding facility. It was later processed by the forensics unit.

Investigators, however, said the DNA evidence collected from the trunk did not match Susan Powell's profile.

At one point, Michael Powell went to a Colorado company in Boulder — Apollo Mapping — seeking a high resolution image of the salvage yard in Pendleton, according to police reports.

Like his father and his brother Josh, Michael Powell refused to give his full cooperation to investigators, Quinlan said Tuesday.

"He was asked a very pointed question. He was asked, 'If you knew what happened to Susan, would you tell us?' And he said, 'Absolutely not,' and it was because he was bent on protecting his brother Josh."

Police said Monday they believe Michael Powell likely had "intimate involvement" in Susan Powell's disappearance. That announcement was a big surprise for Cox, he said, especially considering that his daughter had said she always thought that he was the "most normal" person on that side of the family.

"It's clear he was deeply involved in this, and it's a shock," Cox said Tuesday.

Bremner said her suspicions were raised when Josh Powell made his brother the 93 percent beneficiary of Susan Powell's $3.5 million life insurance policy.

On Feb. 11, 2013, Michael Powell committed suicide by jumping off a seven-story parking structure in Minnesota. No suicide note or will was found.

"What caused him to commit suicide? Remorse, guilt or the fact that people were closing in," Cox said. He believes Josh Powell's suicide was also an admission of guilt.

--

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yup. At some point I was traveling for a few weeks and was hunting something to read... I ended up with this massive PDF of all the case files when WVC released them following Josh's murder/suicide. Michaels car always creeped me out, he called the satellite company asking if they could determine if a car was still in a wrecking yard. He and Josh were communicating via an encrypted app that they have never cracked as I recall.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I don't remember a mine on fire? Sounds like they missed a opportunity with the hidden GPS unit on his car. He left 10 mins before they got the van back. If I recall he rented one and drove some 1000+ miles in 2 days. The fact he snagged his sim card was also interesting. Was a sociopath but he wasn't dumb. Hince he got off. Sad because his kids payed for it with there lifes. That's better then spending the rest of their lives with him. I wonder how long he was planning the murder.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I through episode 5. I'm addicted too, hoping to listen to 6 tonight. Horrible situation.

I'm really hoping the story about the kissing 29 yo single mom from CO doesn't turn into the same type of situation. The Financee says he is cooperating, but the police say he isn't. Scary!

LJTim

I just started dr death you guys should check it out you can find it on iTunes
Good to know. I was wondering what else to listen to. I'm not much of a podcast guy, but this series has been super intriguing for me, and I wondered if there were other podcasts I should try.

Jesser04

Good to know. I was wondering what else to listen to. I'm not much of a podcast guy, but this series has been super intriguing for me, and I wondered if there were other podcasts I should try.

If you’ve never listen to the first season of serial you need to definitely give that a listen also very good.