Colorado Road Trip Planning

Seth

These go to 11
So, we have tickets to a show at Red Rocks in July and I want to make a road trip out of it. We will take the JK and spend an extra day on the way to Denver and one extra heading back to SLC. My youngest is three so adding many more miles will be a disaster. So I can't go too far south. My thought is to take some of the side roads through the resort towns and get off 70 as much as we can. We are traveling alone so we can't head off on some of the classic passes but I still want the kids to see some killer sights. All the years I spent in Colorado I was focused primarily on getting from account to account in the fastest way possible. I am not really that familiar with the scenic routes.

The kids would love the pool at Glenwood Springs. So maybe we stay there the first night. From there we could drop through Aspen and back up through Copper Mountain. I would love to go back to Breckenridge but there are no real easy ways to cross-navigate at that point. You kinda get stuck heading pretty far south again.

I am just spitballing. And I haven't even thought about what to hit on the way back.

What would you guys put on your must-do list? I need to plan this out so I can get some hotels lined up.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
US 50 in Colorado is one of my absolute favorite roads. I would consider taking it on the return trip. Canon City to Montrose is the best part. It is parallel to I-70, just further south.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you're going to Glenwood, get dinner at The Pullman.... it's one of our favorites! Or Juicy Lucy's if you're feeling rich. ;)

From Glenwood, I'd head up I70 to Silverthorne, then exit the freeway, head North to Kremmling and then drive to Granby.... that area is the headwaters of the Colorado, its beautiful and the fishing is excellent. From there head into the Rocky Mountain National Park, it's an amazing drive... highest paved road in the USA, come out in Estes Park. They have a neat main street, stores and restaurants that are fun to see. You can get to Denver from there in about 45 min.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
If you are coming through GWS and want to take the road less travelled I would reccomend I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, get off at Dotsero and go north following the dirt road along the CO river (35 miles). When you hit the pavement again on HWY 131 turn right and drive south about 10 miles to State Bridge where you will turn left and follow the CO river on another dirt road that dumps you out in Kermmeling. from there head along HWY 40 to Granby and head through Rocky Mtn National Park over to Estes Park. This path is actually faster, more scenic, and fairly relaxing vs. I-70. From there you have a couple different paved option south to Red rocks. Both dirt roads i suggested are well maintained and I drive them regularly year round in my clown car.

If you need suggestions around GWS let me know

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you are coming through GWS and want to take the road less travelled I would reccomend I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, get off at Dotsero and go north following the dirt road along the CO river (35 miles). When you hit the pavement again on HWY 131 turn right and drive south about 10 miles to State Bridge where you will turn left and follow the CO river on another dirt road that dumps you out in Kermmeling. from there head along HWY 40 to Granby and head through Rocky Mtn National Park over to Estes Park. This path is actually faster, more scenic, and fairly relaxing vs. I-70. From there you have a couple different paved option south to Red rocks. Both dirt roads i suggested are well maintained and I drive them regularly year round in my clown car.

If you need suggestions around GWS let me know

I was going to suggest that, too.... but hadn't got around to it. Good call! I drive it often for work, know that Colorado River road like the back of my hand... X-D The drive between State Bridge and the Gore Canyon is one of my favorites! Should be some train traffic too, if your kids like those, Seth.

boogie_4wheel

Minturn to Leadville, then back to Copper Mountain. Plenty of mining sights to see along this route. Just East of Leadville town (and South), just a few minutes of driving, there is a bunch of old buildings that you can pretty much drive to. Plus there is the museum in town. Head North from Leadville to see the reopened Climax Moly Mine (you can see structures but not the pit).

I've always liked the drive going through Vernal (don't judge yet) and just east of Craig and Hayden, turn south on state 27. Go on past 20mi coal and tie in at Oak Creek. Take the 131 in down to Wolcott. I spent a year working at Leadville/Climax and that was the route I would take; not very busy and scenic.