Communication

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Another question for you guys...

When out with a group, trail riding or what not, what frequencies do you actually find yourself using? Ham, GMRS, etc.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
146.520 is the de facto simplex frequency, but it's frequently busy, at least along the interstate. 146.460 is where I hang out. The band plan has that frequency listed for the Utah County ARES but I haven't heard them on it yet.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
When out with a group, trail riding or what not, what frequencies do you actually find yourself using? Ham, GMRS, etc.

Ham is always my default choice, so long as most/all of the group is so equipped. I will usually suggest a 2m simplex frequency to accommodate the hams without dual band capability. 145.550 is common for me, as is 146.520 (though I usually only use that one to establish contact, then I suggest we change frequency to something less commonly used).

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
With Wasatch Cruisers we use ham on 146.460 simplex. I've connected to a repeater a few times but have never used one in conjunction with a trail run or getting to camp. That stuff has always been on simplex.

Like others we (WC) typically have extra hand helds to pass around to the people that don't have one so they can listen in.

(I also took my test at the BYU library. They so a half day class but studying on your own then just showing up for the test is a better option.)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm in the market for a new vehicle mounted HAM. I'd like it to be 50W dual band with a remote head unit.
I've been eyeballing the ICOM IC-2730A. Anyone have opinions on that or another recommendation?

Reactions: DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I picked up a 4100a a few months back, was also considering the 2730a. The GPS with the repeater memory sold me since I’m ham dumb. More than welcome to come push buttons if you want

Wish I had bought the Bluetooth chip before I installed. Can tether to my iPad for maps

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I'm in the market for a new vehicle mounted HAM. I'd like it to be 50W dual band with a remote head unit.
I've been eyeballing the ICOM IC-2730A. Anyone have opinions on that or another recommendation?

I have no personal experience, but I’ve heard wouxon radios are a great bang for the buck. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DAA

No real opinions, but the Yaesu FTM400 meets your criteria and I've been pretty happy with mine. I can't remember now why I chose it over the Icom though.

- DAA