"Comp cut"=hideous

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is anyone else disgusted with the popularity of the "comp cut" rear fenders? I think it's gotta be one of the worst modifications ever conceived. The word "hack" comes to mind. The majority of the comp cut rigs I see could have retained some resemblance of an arch. Comp cut is just lazy. Cutting a decent arch into a tub takes almost no skill, even I can do it.

Discuss.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
As long as its cut strait and the wheelbase stretch is enough to make it look right I think the comp cut looks good and gets rid of the rear corners that get bashed in anyways. So I say long live the comp cut

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think they can look good when properly executed. I didn't mind Braden's back in the day:

Murdock02-034.JPG

Murdock02-006.JPG

Murdock02-007.JPG

cjncustoms

Here is mine! I think it looks FAR FROM "poop"! After all the poop statement is coming from someone driving a samurai!:rofl: lol im just teasin. Everybody has their opinions...:ugh::D

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 37

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you are gonna cut that far back, why not dove tail it with some tube? I can at least respect that. You at least get SOMETHING with the ugly then. Braden's looked okay for the time, but I bet he wouldn't cut it like that again. That was the beginning of comp cut, before we knew better.

Coco

I like comp cut. Looks good. If your wheelbase is stretched, why not comp cut it? My dads jeep IMO looks awesome with the comp cut rear crusher corners. It is NOT the traditional "V" shaped cut either. it just takes the corner off.

011-1.jpg

003-5.jpg

cjncustoms

If you are gonna cut that far back, why not dove tail it with some tube? I can at least respect that. You at least get SOMETHING with the ugly then. Braden's looked okay for the time, but I bet he wouldn't cut it like that again. That was the beginning of comp cut, before we knew better.

I didn't dovetail mine because I didn't want to redo the back half of the cage re mount shocks and redo the inner fenderwels.... But my comp cut is done with 1.5x.120 Dom and the top rail is cut off and replaced with 1.25x.120 tube... IMO it looks better than just cutting it or just using crusher corners just for the fact of it having a finished look and a little more protected... Just my .02;)

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
the idea of a comp cut is functionality. it dooesnt always look good but some of the pics on this thread look great, I have to agree with CJNcustoms sometimes you need the clearance but don't want to go and redo everything. That said on my 4runner i have just cut the arch bigger and bigger but if i ever go to a larger tire i might have to do a type of comp cut i think they can look great if you use tube

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
if the wheel placement, tire size, lift size and amount cut is proportioned correctly they can look good but it seems like a lot of them are hack-jobs and they look terrible. i would also prefer a dovetail job or even more of a juggy/tubed out look but i can see how that doesn't fit the bill for everyone. it's a shame that "real" jeeps need to add wheelbase to climb well.

101.4" wb from the factory FTW ;)

ID Bronco

I like Comp cuts a lot. Some are ugly and not needed in stock form but the orange one above looks fantastic!

Every thing we do to our rigs can be hacked or done nice. to each his own.

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
I've never really liked comp cut. With a stretched wheelbase I understand the reason, but I don't like the huge gap infront of the rear tire. On the other hand, comp cut on stock wheelbase = superghey.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Marcs rig does look good but im pretty sure my rear axle is moved back considerably farther than his therefore that cut wont work with most stretched wheelbases.....Post up pics of your cool looking rig so we know what our rigs SHOULD look like

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Marcs rig does look good but im pretty sure my rear axle is moved back considerably farther than his therefore that cut wont work with most stretched wheelbases.....Post up pics of your cool looking rig so we know what our rigs SHOULD look like

That's as far back as I can get it with a leaf spring (at least from what I know--XJ spring with the short side to the rear of the Jeep). My tank's up through the floor to make room for the 14 bolt, if that says anything.

You could make it further back, but I'm not sure why you would unless you wanted to comp cut or really stretch your wheelbase to Toyota pickupish or similar? I'm at 100" and would move the front axle fwd rather than do anything else with the rear. I think with an Astro steering box and a front link suspension I could get 105-108" out of my Jeep without much change at all. The 100" seems to work pretty well for my use.

All that said, I really do like Hardline90's setup. It doesn't bother me at all as his axle is back about 6-8" from where mine is. It's good, clean work and looks good to me. I think one of the things Jeremy is eluding to is that "hack" (in a literal manner) that a "comp cut" can be and is in a lot of cases. If you look at RockMonkey's rig, just adding the tube gives it a much more "finished" appearance than my "hack" above. I like that Hardline90's Jeep is NOT dovetailed. I'm not often a fan of that (WallySheata's new Jeep is an exception. Very clean rig and good fab work there.)

Last edited: