Computer Monitors

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been considering using a TV as a computer monitor to jump from the 27" I have up to the 40"-ish range. Are any of you nerds doing this? I know there are trade offs for gaming or things like that but for just regular interneting and youtube it seemed like a good option. At work I have 2 27" monitors side by side on a kvm which is convenient.

I'd probably pick something off this list from rtings.com if I decide to go this route.

Thoughts?

LJTim

I'm personally not a fan of the idea. The bigger you go, the larger the pixels become. I am a full time computer graphics illustrator, and at the smaller distance you're sitting from computer monitors requires smaller pixel definition. In-fact, anymore, I struggle to not have a 4k monitor. I currently use dual 27" 4k monitors and I think it is perfect. Plus, you wouldn't enjoy looking up and down on a large TV monitor. In my experience, looking side to side is much easier on the neck than up and down.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like the dual 27" units still over a single large monitor. I haven't tried a newer 40"ish unit for quite a few years though. We do use 70" TVs in our conference rooms.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm personally not a fan of the idea. The bigger you go, the larger the pixels become. I am a full time computer graphics illustrator, and at the smaller distance you're sitting from computer monitors requires smaller pixel definition. In-fact, anymore, I struggle to not have a 4k monitor. I currently use dual 27" 4k monitors and I think it is perfect. Plus, you wouldn't enjoy looking up and down on a large TV monitor. In my experience, looking side to side is much easier on the neck than up and down.

Panel quality makes a huge difference too. I always try to go for an IPS over a TN panel. TN panels are cheaper but the color quality is always bad.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess I hadn't really considered the up down motion as a potential concern. My work 27s are 1080 and I like them well enough. I do have a old and bad quality 32" on a shelf (I inherited it a couple years ago after others discarded it for burn in) above my 27s that stay on my work computer so I can see if chats come in and to monitor processes. I don't mind glancing up for that but thinking about it if I need to do any actual work I drag whatever from that monitor down to the other ones which are lower. The viewing distance at home and work will be about the same when I finish out my home office, about a 30" wide desk.

You guys are making me rethink the big size though and maybe I ought to just get a second 27 and wall mount both.