Concrete bolt anchors

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Thinking of using the concrete bolt anchors to put a basketball hoop up. I have never used them before so I don't know the load ratings and if they will be able to keep the base of the basketball hoop solid. Anyone use these and know how they hold up? I am talking about the kind that you drill a hole, then pound the bolt in and tighten up.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
commonly called redheads... they are use all over town... the strength depends on the size you get... I use them all the time to put network racks in to hold up to earthquakes... I can't tell you how well they will do but if you look on the box they come in they will have a load rating on them

Cascadia

Undecided
Redheads are not approved anymore on residential houses. What you want is called a Titen hd bolt. That is what is required now on retrofit straps and hold downs. You probably can't get them at a home improvement place but you can at any lumber store. They are a threaded bolt. So you drill the hole and then tighten the bolt in with an impact wrench. 1/2" would be great but 5/8" would be no question. And you don't have to worry about any extra bolt sticking up. It's just the hex bolt head.

Tonkaman

The load ratings depend on the concrete density and the depth of the anchor as well. Just use 3/8" anchors even with softer concrete and 2" depth they will hold a couple thousand pounds. Do yourself a favor and drill the hole deeper than the anchor length so that you can just bury them if you drill it wrong or want to move the hoop later

blznnp

Redheads are not approved anymore on residential houses. What you want is called a Titen hd bolt. That is what is required now on retrofit straps and hold downs. You probably can't get them at a home improvement place but you can at any lumber store. They are a threaded bolt. So you drill the hole and then tighten the bolt in with an impact wrench. 1/2" would be great but 5/8" would be no question. And you don't have to worry about any extra bolt sticking up. It's just the hex bolt head.
I am not familiar with "red heads," are the the same as quick bolts? at least thats what we use to call them. I used quick bolts all the time when setting big steal stairways (concrete treads bolt pre cast treads and also a pan set up where the concrete was poured into the steel pan of the stairway), railings, landings, columns..... we always used them when setting anything into concrete that had a baseplate. I have used the titan bolts also, they work good but I preferred the quick bolts personally, maybe thats just cause they were faster. I would have no problem using them to mount a basketball hoop set up if I had the chance to.

Like Tonkaman said, if you decide to move the hoop later and go with the anchor (quick) bolts, drill the hole deeper so you can pound them in and not have to worry about cutting the head off and or grinding it smooth.

STAG

On my grind
These aren't approved anymore for residential use Tyson?
w3o1.jpg

I used to use them every day back with JR, never had a single issue.

Cascadia

Undecided
Or use the titen and just back it back out when removed. I don't know what quick bolts are. May be the same thing. If you tighten too hard on a redhead with an impact, sometimes they will just start to pull back out. I used to have no problem with redheads either but all you have to do is drill a hole, and tighten it in. No hammering or cutting off the top of a bolt. But to each his own.

Cascadia

Undecided
These aren't approved anymore for residential use Tyson?
w3o1.jpg

I used to use them every day back with JR, never had a single issue.
Nope. Not allowed on foundation hold downs or on post hold downs. I have heard it now from 4 different inspectors in different cities and in one of our continuing education classes we have to take for our license. He was probably using them on window wells and permanent power conduit which is fine because it is not structurally a part of the house.

Last edited:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Interesting.

I havent heard anything about not using redheads up this way. Just used a bunch of them yesterday to install some vinyl railing

Cascadia

Undecided
Interesting.

I havent heard anything about not using redheads up this way. Just used a bunch of them yesterday to install some vinyl railing
Again, a vinyl rail isn't going to hurt the house if it gets ripped off so you can use them. It's only on foundation and post hold downs.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
They're called wedge anchors, they are insanely strong. Best to use an impact type gun to really seat them.

Tonkaman

If your close to Taylorsville I can hook you up with a hammer drill and wedge anchor or drop-in anchor since I've got plenty from around work.