concrete?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So can we talk concrete? Working on putting in a side pad/patio at my house, called up the closest concrete company to me (can see the trucks from my back yard) and they basically asked if I had an account, I'm a homeowner so no, and they told me to check back in September. Is this an industry wide thing? Is this just a that company is stupid thing? Any company you would recommend if you deal with concrete?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have a buddy that works for Intermountain Concrete (supplier) and he said most companies are giving quotes that are good for a few days only due to prices going up so fast. FWIW

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I got a bunch of concrete done last year when it was starting to get crazy. I'm glad I did.

My sister on the other hand is putting in a pool right now. Well at least they have a hole in their back yard and are waiting for concrete :grimacing:

Tebbsjeep

My brother does concrete for a living, and he has to call in at 5am to even have a chance of getting mud. He says they typically give the biggest jobs priority, and then go down the list of smaller jobs to fill in the cracks. So you might get mud or you might not.

Pike2350

This sucks. I need my final driveway poured from front driveway to new garage, after I demo the existing carport/garage. I was also going to have a patio poured on the side of the garage. Looks like it will be this fall instead....fingers crossed.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My brother does concrete for a living, and he has to call in at 5am to even have a chance of getting mud. He says they typically give the biggest jobs priority, and then go down the list of smaller jobs to fill in the cracks. So you might get mud or you might not.
Is this just a planning thing? Is there a difference between calling at 5am vs calling and saying you need some in 4 days?

comingdown

Is this just a planning thing? Is there a difference between calling at 5am vs calling and saying you need some in 4 days?
Nope, my co-worker was waiting and scheduling for weeks only to get bumped the day before and told they had no concrete available for him and he’d have to wait. And he was only able to get it because his buddy is a contractor and had an acct. it’s crazy. Most finishers are working 4 days because that’s all the concrete available.

SnwMnkys

I had heard its partially due to companies not being able to stock pile cement and materials all winter when concrete pouring is slow. Partially because of our mild winter and partially from booming construction.

Since their is a "shortage" concrete companies may be prioritizing mud to their loyalist customers and customers who are good at paying their bills.

Tebbsjeep

Nope, like it has been said above. They're feeding the big fish first, and everyone else gets the leftovers. You used to be able to call it in a couple of days in advance or even the day before and get the amount/time slot you wanted. Now they just fit you in if they can/want to. There's a big difference between starting a pour at 6:30am and 3pm.

Last edited:

DSN91

It’s the same here in Colorado. My concrete order to install my lift pads (<2 yrds) was canceled twice before I finally got it delivered.