Considering a 2006 F350 Crew Cab

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I just did over 700 miles in mine. I got 18.5 mpg according to the factory gauges. Its been running great again. My coolant and oil temps are always within 7 degrees of each other. I'm starting to feel good about the truck again and will probably keep it until it falls apart from rust. I don't think I'll have anymore big issues. Its a fairly comfortable truck and gets the best mileage out of all my vehicles. I feel comfortable towing some pretty large loads with it, and it pulls like crazy. It impresses me any time I tow something, almost like there isn't anything behind it.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
This morning my father in law and I noticed it was leaking water. I was a bit pissed and didn't want to look at it. But I'm 8 hours from home and had to fix it.

I went back inside for a hour to collect myself. When I came back I filled it back up with water and the leak started again.

I got out my Flashlight and finally figured out my EGR delete was leaking.

I tried to tighten it up, but on of the bolts sheared off. I didn't get mad. I just unbolted it and was able to get it out without taking the intake manifold off. Saved 5 hours on the job.

Inspected the part really quickly and noticed the Chinese orings were crapped out. I was also able to get the broken bolt out without a problem.

I called ford for new bolts. Of course they didn't have them in BFE Wyoming. So I went to fastenal and found a suitable replacement. $3.00 out the door.

Then I went to carquest for orings. $4 out the door for new orings.

Went back to my in laws house and put it all back together. Filled it up with water, no more leaks.

Cheapest ford powerstroke fix ever.

Its amazing, the more I work on it the easier it becomes. Hopefully it shouldn't leak again for a long time.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The offending part.

11745851_10153089495835028_8130787347711238514_n.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Update:

Been using the truck a lot for the last two weeks for work and hauling kids to a High Adventure trip in Wyoming. I've probably put another 3000 miles on it.

It had been having a rough idle issue. I decided to try a liquid fix for it. I dumped in some lucas fuel injector cleaner for a diesel. It was enough to clean 100 gallons of diesel. I put it in a full tank of 38 gallons. After 100 miles the truck is running 95% better. I might have a little stiction issue. I'll get something for that too.

I've been getting about 18.5 mpg out of this thing since the injector cleaner too. Its doing great. I have a small oil leak from the pan. Nothing major, just a couple drips overnight. I'll live with it for now.

Just need to replace the lines on the AC compressor and refill the system. So, I've been pretty damn happy with it for the last couple of months. I'm at about 197K miles on it now.

KWight

Have you noticed the rough fuel injector issue at other speeds? I have felt a stutter in mine (either under load or at constant speeds 65ish) 4-5 times since I purchased it nearly two years ago. I bought it with 114.000 on it and it has 125,000 on it now. Even though it is very intermittent, it is still something I want to troubleshoot. I baselined mine with new fluids and filters when I first got it. The only thing I did not do was the transmission flush as the mechanic told me it was not needed. I have been happy with mine as it also gets 18mpg average and 11-16 towing, depending on the load.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Mine does that occasionally. I've used the Hotshot Stiction Eliminator and it worked until I changed my oil. Then it came back. I'm going to try adding some more next oil change. But since I put the fuel injector cleaner in it has really fixed the stutter. Tuesday I did 500+ miles in a day and only felt it once going up I80 into Wyoming. Never felt it again. I think it has finally cleared up.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I bought a camper for my truck back in June. Its a 1970's Lance Camper. It does not have a shower or toilet. I finally got to go try it out in the truck. The camper doesn't seem to weigh much. I drove 4 hours in total East of Kamas Utah with this weekend. The truck handled it well. It didn't feel tippy and didn't seem to slow the truck down at all. I used about 1/3 of a tank. Overall, it was pretty good. I don't know how long we will keep it, but it was a little nicer than tent camping. We even tried doing a little Stand Up Paddleboarding.

Some pictures from this weekend. Camping isn't always easy with 4 kids. But this was easier then when we have gone in a tent. For $900 the camper has paid for itself in one trip. Its so nice to just throw all your crap inside, and then unload your chairs and start camping.

11960011_10153171978440028_6511410303015867869_n.jpg

11903816_10153171978505028_4069367943312470791_n.jpg

11148791_10153171978570028_7743396899616423557_n.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Just a few more of my farmers tan and the paddleboard, i fell in the lake. Its an inflatable board. I could only get it up to about 8 PSI with the pump. I'm going to try 10 psi next time. It was a little to floppy at 8 psi.

11953143_10153171978720028_3913531300265983035_n.jpg

11925996_10153171978820028_7358701753005568948_n.jpg

11953017_10153171978875028_6294319906981102315_n.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Those sure are nice looking trucks!!! Looks good with the camper on. Did you need to add anything to the bottom of the camper to get it to clear the cab? (looks pretty close in the pictures) The best thing (and most redeeming quality in my opinion) about a camper or trailer is that you just load up and head to the grocery store on your way out of town.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The camper has about 1/8 inch of clearance. Maybe it's less turbulent that way. I like it so far. But I expect in the next year or two we will out grow it as the babies grow up. And our older boys get into their teenage years.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The camper has about 1/8 inch of clearance. Maybe it's less turbulent that way. I like it so far. But I expect in the next year or two we will out grow it as the babies grow up. And our older boys get into their teenage years.

i think I'd want to allow about 2-3" of space above the cab to allow for frame flex over uneven terrain (say a driveway or parking lot approach?) so the camper doesn't kill the cab or vice versa

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
i think I'd want to allow about 2-3" of space above the cab to allow for frame flex over uneven terrain (say a driveway or parking lot approach?) so the camper doesn't kill the cab or vice versa

I agree...2-3" might be a lot, but definitely more than 1/8". Mine sits probably 1.5"-2" above my cab, and that's after I put in a rubber bed mat. That gives around 3/8" height, and helps keep the camper from sliding around in the truck.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nothing to add truck wise, but you need to stand way closer to the center on the SUP :greg:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have always laid 2x4's across the width of my bed to put the camper on. This give me that extra little bit of room above the cab.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Thanks. HA HA, I had no idea. I'm going to have to get some taller jacks. I can barely get it in my bed as it is. Plus I don't have an inch of level terrain at my house. My driveway is on a 15 degree pitch or worse.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Just hit 200k last night. My trailer brakes and controller have developed some weird short or something. I haven't figured it out yet so I removed the fuses so it would stop freaking out everytime I hit a bump.

uploadfromtaptalk1445177913283.jpg