Contemplating a Box/ Cargo Truck

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My wife got excited about this idea so I'm going to run with it until I get see a reason not to.

We are contemplating replacing our 2000 F250 longbed supercab (5.4L gas) and Flatbed Car Hauler with a cargo/ box truck or van.

Building it into a Motovan/ Crawler hauler camper/ delivery vehicle.

Thinking somewhere along the lines of a Isuzu NPR, Mitsubishi Fuso, Chevy or Ford truck van front like a former Uhaul.
And I'd like some direction and education.

isuzu-nprhd.jpg

Reasoning: we don't drive the truck much, but it's indispensable when we do a big job and haul big boxes for work. I occasionally have to pickup a single pallet shipment from a freight depot as well. I love being able to load 3 bikes into my truck with the 8" bed.

We don't use the trailer that often either but when we need it we need it. So two big things taking up space.

I would love some kind of enclosed camping space for motorcycle races/ Delta OSRC (about 14-16 weekends a year), but my wife strongly dislikes the idea of a trailer/ RV/ popup trailer as irrationally as some people hate snakes, and she dislikes the idea of another "THING" taking up space in the yard.

If we were to consolidate those two objects and my enclosed sleeping space desire into one, we could save space and have some storage space for inventory when it sits.
We could also use it as a quasi-RV for motorcycle races.

Ideally here are my needs:
1.) Big enough to fit my Jeep into (83" wms to wms) and 165" or so long. (and a low enough loading height to make loading a Jeep or a car easy). But not so big as to be cumbersome to maneuver or uncomfortable to drive long distance.
2.) Bench seat. (I don't know if there are any that can seat 4 across or have a larger cab that can seat 4 but I think that will be necessary as our family grows).
3.) Somehow outfit it to have some amenities for camping like a sink, sitting and cooking area (perhaps fulfill some requirements to register it as an RV and some on insurance).
4.) Some power. I've driven some old sucky uhauls with underpower motors and I can't imagine any worse punishment than maxing out at 10 or 20 under the speed limit.

What should I look for?

Who done it?

I'm kind of excited to build something really different.

Attachments

• isuzu-nprhd.jpg
    isuzu-nprhd.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I think its an excellent idea. If my rig was normal size id have done a box truck instead of the flat bed semi

There is one for sale here by me at a farm. Izuzu i believe and i believe its ext cab??? Ill snap a pic

None of the medium duty trucks came with giant powerhouses. It will be tough to find one that doesnt max out around 65. You may find one with a 5.9 Cummins which you can mod

You really think youll wheel the jeep again??

Tonkaman

Sounds like a sweet plan! You'll need a double cab truck to fit the family so I'll bet that cuts your options way down or doubles the budget. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Uhauls are nice because they have low decks so it's easier to load. But that also means they have a small wheel well inside the box. Not bad for your jeep or bikes, but they will get in the way for a car and be trip hazards. Uhauls, for the most part, are only powered by gas engines. Uhaul thinks their customers can't put diesel in a truck. Finally, Uhauls "good" rentals are BEAT UP. I can't imagine how bad they must be to before they decide to sell them.
I think you'll have to decide between a low deck height and power. Most of the medium duty trucks are designed to fit to a loading dock. So 42 or so inches. But really, the gassers I've rented from uhaul didn't seem underpowered, considering the load.
My last thought is the smell of sleeping in an area used for hauling anything with a motor. I've slept in an inclosed trailer a few times. We could never get the gas smell out of it. Even with the bikes and gas cans put outside. I often wondered if that was the case with expensive toy hauler RV's. I could put up with it, but my wife and kids weren't to happy about it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The u-hauls are usually dirt cheap and the location in bountiful has a few for sale at the moment. (They have a big GMC chassis there that caught my eye). I drove an International 7.3 from Roosevelt-Woods Cross eleven years ago and was fairly impressed with how it handled the hill. I think I went over at about 60 or so? Stick shift truck without a turbo (they are READILY available from the pickups----check out RoosterBooster's Uhaul build in the towing section on Pirate for a creative build of a Uhaul-pretty cool truck)

way back lack when you were in diapers, I drove a UD crew cab wrecker chassis around this fair town. 200 hp diesel and six speed. That was an extremely capable truck for what it was. If you could stay in the boost, it would take the hills pretty well. Get screwed by a dumb driver or similar, and you're crawling along until you can find somewhere to gain speed again (kind of similar to driving your super duty is assume).

im curious to watch this build develop. An ambulance or old tool truck chassis could be just the ticket for your uses?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I'm sure that type of setup would work really well for a lot of people. It all depends on what you would use it for MOST OF THE TIME. I have always regretted planning my vehicles around the rare, 5% of the time needs, rather than the guaranteed 95% of the time uses. So, my last 3 trucks have been f350 diesels. I rarely needed all that much truck, but on the few times that I did, I really enjoyed it. However, most of the time I wished I had something smaller to drive around. So now, I have a smaller truck, and on the occasions that I need something bigger (like today, as it happens) I borrow or rent a larger vehicle.

So, in your case, I would make sure you aren't going to get bugged with having a huge truck to drive when you could seriously get by with a smaller truck, that would be way easier to drive around, maintain, park, less road fatigue, etc. If it is a matter of saving space, I would get rid of the flat bed and bring cookies a few times a year to some of the guys around here that own one, so you can borrow as necessary, or like me, rent.

That said, its funner for me to watch you do an awesome build of a box truck, so go for it!!

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Also, if the main beef with your current setup is no enclosed sleeping area, I would see if its possible to do a flatbed on your truck for jeep hauling, and an enclosed trailer for bikes and sleeping.
jeep on ford.jpg

That's basically your jeep on there, right? ;)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't think it's a good idea. You will find that you still 'need' a truck for stupid little things all the time. Example: wife wants to meet you after a ride with buddies.. Russ drops you off at walmart. Wife has to bring the freaking box van to pick you up.. want to haul a few branches to the dump?

Who is going to tow you home, or stock parts when it breaks down?

Is your family going to grow? box truck wont work for long.

What about a covered trailer? much cheaper.. hauls the jeep, or bikes.. Can be made into an awesome sleeping area.. You can replace the flatbed trailer and be at a net vehicle amount.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Also, if the main beef with your current setup is no enclosed sleeping area, I would see if its possible to do a flatbed on your truck for jeep hauling, and an enclosed trailer for bikes and sleeping.
View attachment 102271

That's basically your jeep on there, right? ;)

This seems to make the most sense to me. Finding the right wheelbase of crewcab or ext cab is a bit challenging but not impossible.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Perhaps I should have prefaced this with the announcement that we are having another Kid so seating for 4 is a necessity. Hopefully that's not a deal breaker.

And the statement that: I have too much stuff.

At the moment in my yard I have:

1998 Bravada (inlaws somebody please buy it!)
1998 dodge 2500 work van (my work owns this)
2000 F250 super cab
2011 Subaru impreza
2000 Jeep Wrangler bordering a buggy
1976 VW based dune buggy thing
1971 Toyota pickup
1941 Murcel 4'x8' utility trailer
12-14k lb flatbed car hauler

Wow. So some stuff needs to go.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
And the statement that: I have too much stuff.

2000 F250 super cab
2011 Subaru impreza
1971 Toyota pickup

Get rid of the stuff you don't use:
Jeep
Olds
Dune buggy
Toyota

And the dumb stuff:
Gooberoo Unimpressed-a

Haha I had to...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Hey now I use the Jeep.
I think as my kids get older I'll get back into 4wheeling more as it's hard to bring kids to motorcycle races if they aren't big enough to race... and you can't really take a kid on a motorcycle...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Baby bjorn and a side car. Boom, problem solved!

My kid loves the hell out of wheeling and here's to hoping my latest one does too...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

2000 F250 super cab
2011 Subaru impreza
1971 Toyota pickup

At my house:

1994 F-350
2005 Colorado
2004 expedition
20' enclosed car hauler
20' open car hauler
24' camper trailer
12' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
10' open trailer
70's sand rail
2006 F-350 (not currently AT my house.. but will be shortly)

And at one of my other properties:

1978 F-250
4x8 trailer
tear drop trailer

you've got plenty of space for more stuff.. :)

I should show you my brothers enclosed trailer. He has set it up real nice.

ricsrx

At my house:

1994 F-350
2005 Colorado
2004 expedition
20' enclosed car hauler
20' open car hauler
24' camper trailer
12' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
10' open trailer
70's sand rail
2006 F-350 (not currently AT my house.. but will be shortly)

And at one of my other properties:

1978 F-250
4x8 trailer
tear drop trailer

you've got plenty of space for more stuff.. :)

I should show you my brothers enclosed trailer. He has set it up real nice.

i think i will stay out of this pissing match...