Cooler Experience - Opinions

ID Bronco

I was at Sam's Club Saturday and saw an Igloo brand Yeti knock off.

It looked pretty dang nice and I wondered if any of you have used one or know if they are worth the money. I realize it was $200 ish 55qt and the Yeti of similar size is a bit more, so is the Igloo worth it? There was also a Pelican cooler that was one size smaller 45qt. for about $209. I like some features on it better but it was really heavy. What are your experiences with them?

This may be my Christmas present from my wife to me, so I better get educated.

Thanks - Scott

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought a Yeti 45 this spring and have really like it. I wish I would have gotten one size bigger. The claims about having ice 7 days later are for real if you pre cool the cooler, chill/freeze the stuff you put in it, and make an effort to not open it up every 15 minutes. When I knew we were going to be around a town for ice refills I didn't necessarily follow those guidelines but when I did my food stayed real cold.

I passed on the pelican for the same reasons you stated above, it seems bigger and heavier for the same internal capacity. I don't have any experience with the Igloo. I got my yeti at Sportsmans Warehouse, I was researching them and wandered in one Saturday and they happened to be having a customer appreciation sale with anything 15% or 20% off (can't remember which). I hadn't planned on buying one that day but with the sale I jumped on it and have been pretty pleased.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've looked hard at the Yeti and other high end coolers. I decided that my $60 Coleman Extreme that keeps ice three days is enough for me until I get around to getting a fridge. That's my experience. :)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I also have a Coleman that I bought from Walmart that claims 5 days ice. I have found that it works for 3 days. I could probably get 5 days out if I did what Nate suggests at the top, but with an 8 yo and 14 yo, they are in the cooler WAY too much. I have been impressed so far.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I need to try Steve's dry ice trick, and I want to make a thermal blanket for mine, and I bet I could get five days out of it.

I can't remember the last time I needed to make ice last more than three days though.

ZUKEYPR

Coleman steel cooler, freeze your water bottles prior to trip, place in cooler, place towel over, place ten pd brick of dry ice, place towel over, place everything else on top. 100 + degrees, ice still there well after 7 days,

amp713

Coleman steel cooler, freeze your water bottles prior to trip, place in cooler, place towel over, place ten pd brick of dry ice, place towel over, place everything else on top. 100 + degrees, ice still there well after 7 days,

Heat rises though.... Does all your stuff stay cold??? Or are you putting dry stuff on top and your cold stuff down low? OR is it just cold enough to keep it all cold inside? Just curious cuz when i was out of state hunting i put everything i wanted cold on the bottom with dry ice over the top.....

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I would guess that the space it needs to chill is small enough in a cooler that its going to stay cold regardless if you are using dry ice.

rholbrook

I start the cool down process of the cooler itself a day or two ahead of time and use dry ice as well. I have big coleman that I use, dont really pay attention to the number of days but if you can keep the kids out of it, I know I get over 3 days easily.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Don't you have a problem with dry ice lifting the lid on the cooler? Just thinking back to being a teenager and making dry ice bombs.

ID Bronco

The only experience I have is hearing my wife say NO, when I tell her how much the Yeti cooler is. I hope to one day be able to share my experience.:(

This is why I was intrigued by the Igloo - Yeti knock off. It was $150 less than a Yeti. It seems to be a good knock off, I just wondered if anyone had abused one and how it held up.

Lot's of good ideas in this thread on ways to conserve ice. Thanks!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What's the current scenario on a good cooler that fits behind a TJ rear seat and the tailgate? Looking for drink storage for the most part and wanting cold drinks for 3 days. (my 29 yr old Coleman had it's last trip a few weeks ago unfortunately)

Those look cool and I like that they could be "strapped" down. Kind of a "hot" price in my opinion? Should I spend the $?

ID Bronco

Marc,

Since 2014 I've been rocking the Igloo, and added a smaller one to the mix about 3 years ago. They are still in perfect working condition, with lots of bangs and scratches but hold ice for days. I like them. They are heavy but I can live with that in the back of the pickup.

I was very skeptical because of the price and I have not wished I'd done it differently ever since. I still won't pay for a Yeti.

I also have an Ozark Ridge soft cooler that works great, I bet the roto molded ones would be fine. Igloo for the win!

DesertRam

I've been using the Sam's Club Igloo for several years with great results. I recently added a smaller Cordova Cooler to the arsenal. They're a US-based, veteran-owned, 2A-supporting company that makes roto-molded coolers in the US. After nearly a year, I have only good things to say about their cooler. Mine is the Companion and would be well suited to mbryson's use.

Jesser04

I have a few yeti’s they are great coolers. They keep ice just fine the biggest plus for me is there durability we are hard on coolers. If I were in the market I think I’d go lifetime two siblings and one friend have them and they seem great.

The rubber feet are also awesome I have a yeti 65 I can set on theswim deck on our boat and it’ll stay put without tie downs.

Last edited: