Cooler Experience - Opinions

Jesser04

I'm trying to find a 20"-25" wide x 12-15" deep and 12-18" tall cooler/fridge for the "Jeep". Needs to fit behind the back seat and the tailgate
For day single day or multi day? We have the yeti hopper and love it doesn’t leak and fits almost anywhere. Works great for single day trips.

shortstraw8

We picked up one of these at costco a few years ago. It is the best cooler I have ever had, stayed cold for 5 days for us.
I freeze a case of costco water and place it on bottom, then we put ice/gel packs on top they tend to keep cool usually thawed by day 3 though.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We have the Lifetime roto cooler. Not too impressed. We were in Moab a couple weeks ago. Temps were 100-102 and the cooler was in the back of my truck the whole time. Because of this we decided to stuff my AO soft cooler inside of it. The fit was perfect and we still had room for 2 days of drinks for 5 people and snacks inside the AO, inside the Lifetime. Each morning we woke up to cold water, but little to no ice. I know it was hot and in direct sun the whole time, but between the two I was surprised with how much water we had and so little ice. The third day we had to drain the cool water and refill with hotel ice machine ice.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Ozark Tril 26 qt fits your size reqs $86

Ozark Trail 45 w/cute wheels, just a tad over your size specs $150

Lifetime 28 qt does too $78

Yeti Tundra 35 is close but is 16.25" deep $250

Yeti Tundra 45 is also really close, same depth as the 35 $300

RTIC 45 is basically the same size at the yeti 45 for $100 less $200

KSL
yeti 45 $150 used

I had a yeti 45 that i bought before a lot of the copies came out and really liked it for an ice cooling cooler. I ended up adding a second yeti, a 20 or 25 for quicker trips or whatever. I then won a fridge in a raffle and sold the 45 and kept the small one. I haven't done a ton of camping lately so the fridge has been sitting but still regularly use the smaller one cooler. I'm intrigued by the soft side coolers but not enough to buy one over what i
already have. FWIW I told my little brother to buy the ozark trail when he tried to borrow my yeti 45 that I had sold. Not sure if he did but I also don't know that the Yeti name tax is worth the extra coin at retail prices.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ozark Tril 26 qt fits your size reqs $86

Ozark Trail 45 w/cute wheels, just a tad over your size specs $150

Lifetime 28 qt does too $78

Yeti Tundra 35 is close but is 16.25" deep $250

Yeti Tundra 45 is also really close, same depth as the 35 $300

RTIC 45 is basically the same size at the yeti 45 for $100 less $200

KSL
yeti 45 $150 used

I had a yeti 45 that i bought before a lot of the copies came out and really liked it for an ice cooling cooler. I ended up adding a second yeti, a 20 or 25 for quicker trips or whatever. I then won a fridge in a raffle and sold the 45 and kept the small one. I haven't done a ton of camping lately so the fridge has been sitting but still regularly use the smaller one cooler. I'm intrigued by the soft side coolers but not enough to buy one over what i
already have. FWIW I told my little brother to buy the ozark trail when he tried to borrow my yeti 45 that I had sold. Not sure if he did but I also don't know that the Yeti name tax is worth the extra coin at retail prices.

I think I'd have to move my back seat fwd 1-2" to accomodate the dimensions of those? A few of those have the ability to be strapped down, others do not. I do like to strap almost everything down in my "Jeep"

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
when you say strap down do you mean strap the sides and keep the top available to open quick? I know the yeti has loops that can accommodate that, not sure about the others. For the $ though I'm not sure I'd be opposed to loosening the ratchet to grab a beverage.

to stay in your size range exactly I think you're going to be limited to the 20-ish quart range of coolers. I'd put eyes on one to see if thats going to hold the amount of dr pepper you're going to need.

mbryson

Supporting Member
when you say strap down do you mean strap the sides and keep the top available to open quick? I know the yeti has loops that can accommodate that, not sure about the others. For the $ though I'm not sure I'd be opposed to loosening the ratchet to grab a beverage.

I'd love to have the ability to strap down the cooler independent of the lid. The current Igloo that's pictured was "secured" by smashing a moving blanket against the closed tailgate. That sort of worked but I was hoping to secure to the Jeep via footman loops in the floor and a bracket or similar on the cooler.

This Grizzly has some tie down functions but it's 16" deep (but 13.5" at the base :thinking:). $300, I'd rather find a refrigerator that has a smaller foot print and not worry about ice?

Not sure at all of that brand but that footprint could work really well?

1598449250391.png
Plus the couple bottles of wine, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, shrimp and wouldn't there have to be some cheese and cocktail sauce in there that would have to be included?

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
The yeti's have the same footprint, narrower at the base. That griz is a copy of the yeti, just like the rtic.

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/hard-coolers/tundra-45-cooler/10045150000.html <------------ dimension spec sheet.

No idea why I missed the taper when I was looking at dimensions earlier :D Thanks for pointing that out. :D

1598449632934.png

The ARB would fit with a bit of seat reconfig. It's a wee bit more than a cooler though. It'd be nice to find a 14" fridge that would fit behind a TJ rear seat as factory configured as well.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
If that 45 size would fit I think the yeti i linked from ksl would be pretty darn hard to beat for the money. If all you need it for is drinks though you might consider something smaller. There are slots in the middle inside of the 45. I cut a hdpe cutting board down to fit in there as a divider. Drinks on one side and food on the other. It worked out pretty good for me.

mbryson

Supporting Member
If that Yeti 45 size would fit I think the yeti i linked from ksl would be pretty darn hard to beat for the money. If all you need it for is drinks though you might consider something smaller. There are slots in the middle inside of the 45. I cut a hdpe cutting board down to fit in there as a divider. Drinks on one side and food on the other. It worked out pretty good for me.

I think that 45 with the divider and strategically placed ice/wire rack/dry ice would keep drinks/food for at least 3-4 days? I have favorited that link on KSL as that's a pretty swinging deal for a cooler of that ilk? Hopefully it lives up to the hype? Time will tell.

These do appear to be tie downs?

1598449984180.png

I'm not sure what else they would be?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Depends on how often you're opening the lid and how hot the drinks are that you are back filling with but I don't think you should have trouble with it. I did a wed-sat trip to bears ears with moody with mine and it worked great without ice refills. There are tricks with these types of coolers that will help maximize ice retention. i.e. pre-cool the cooler before you load it to go, I would try and throw frozen bottles of water in the night before. make sure everything you are putting in is already cold if possible, if it can be frozen even better.

yeah those are the tie down loops.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Dry ice will freeze everything in the cooler solid. You don't want to go that route for drinks.

I took ice cream sandwiches on a scout camp and kept them in my yeti with dry ice. The co2 leached into the ice cream so that wasn't great but they were SOLID frozen. I wouldn't use dry ice.