Coolest Trar Evar!!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I've been having a rough time getting spark from the coil. I have power at the coil and it turns over, but no spark coming out from the coil. I replaced the coil with a new one and same deal. I'm not totally frustrated yet, but I think I'm going to start looking for a cheap, running Chevy 350. :D

I did get something really cool from UPS today for the El Combino... I bought them off Ebay. I picked up a set of rear fender skirts!! :greg: They will really add to the look of the vehicle once it gets dropped down.

I need to get some pics up, will work on that this weekend.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Check the points in the distributor, sounds like the coil is not getting a signal from the distributor. Easy to check with a voltmeter or preferable a simple test light. You should be able to tap into the line that comes from the dizzy to the coil and ensure it is firing, as you turn over the key your light should flash as it sends a 'fire signal' to the coil.

Greg

Admin
Check the points in the distributor, sounds like the coil is not getting a signal from the distributor. Easy to check with a voltmeter or preferable a simple test light. You should be able to tap into the line that comes from the dizzy to the coil and ensure it is firing, as you turn over the key your light should flash as it sends a 'fire signal' to the coil.

Good call Kurt, I'll check that out after work. I'll probably pick up a new set of points and a capacitor just to be safe. The cap & rotor look like they were replaced fairly recently... well, not long before it was last parked. :D

Greg

Admin
Nice, what did it need?

The points were stuck closed! I picked up a new condenser and a new set of points from NAPA, but before I pulled the old ones out I started playing with them. At first the points wouldn't open, they were stuck or rusted closed, but a little prying with a screwdriver and they opened and there was a spark! I decided to put the distributor cap back in place as-is and see if I had spark from the coil and I did... I put the coil wire back on, sprayed some stating fluid and cranked it over. Right away it was trying to start... a little more effort and it fired right up!

Awesome! The fender ornaments are circa '57 Oldsmobile if I remember right.

:cool: Good to know! I was curious what they were from, since they weren't factory. I really like them. :D

Greg

Admin
Sweet! Needs whitewalls and install those fender skirts and go out and scare old folks with it!

I'm trying to get it there! One thing at a time... I filled the radiator with antifreeze and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank today and started it again on starting fluid, until the gas was pumped up to the carb. It ran on gasoline for a bit, then the carb started puking gas out. I figured that since it was leaking gas onto a warm exhaust, it was a good time to shut it down. :eek:

I picked up a carb rebuild kit at NAPA for $15 and did a quick & dirty rebuild. Put the carb back on the car and started it again. It ran good for a few minutes, then started acting like it wasn't getting any gas. I think the fuel pump may have taken a dump... it would high-idle, but didn't want to rev up.

I also noticed that the water pump had a bit of seeping coming from it. Good thing that parts are cheap for this car!

Here's some pics from today. Obviously you got a good idea of what it looks like from the video, but hopefully the pics are fun to look at.

p1010001medium.jpg

p1010002medium.jpg

p1010003medium.jpg

p1010006medium.jpg

p1010007medium.jpg

p1010008medium.jpg

p1010009medium.jpg

p1010011medium.jpg

p1010012medium.jpg

p1010014mediumb.jpg

p1010015medium.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Something tells me those skirts don't work just yet LOL

Love the Monkey Ward's regulator, that's pretty sweet. Can't say I've seen a driver for those screws, either, bonus!

None of the hard-to-replace sheetmetal looks to be rusted out, just straight stuff.. that's awesome too. I freakin' love it! Looks a lot better than the first pics.

Very nice. :D

Chevycrew

Those screws are fairly common in the old stuff, you can still buy the bits to fit them, even come in different sizes.

Really liking this thing!