Coolest Trar Evar!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Drive it around a lot between now and then, and that will tell you if it's reliable enough for you to risk it. :)

Very cool!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Drive it around a lot between now and then, and that will tell you if it's reliable enough for you to risk it. :)

Very cool!

Yep, that's what I'll have to do. It's going to be fun cruising around in!

I really need to get it legal, I don't have a title, so getting it registered may prove to be interesting.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Good call, Curt, I was about to post that. :D

Greg, the old-skool way to drop fronts is to cut the coils, which I'm sure you already know. In for a dime, in for a dollar, DO IT! :D I like the period-wackiness of it. :D About the only cooler thing would be to make it a gasser with a blown 454. :D and Firestone pie-crust slicks in the back. hahahah

Greg

Admin
Did someone say classic whitewalls?

http://www.cokertire.com/

Coker makes some killer tires, but they're to high-dollar for this project. This is more my style- :busted:

[YOUTUBE]xkcm3rh60p0[/YOUTUBE]

Good call, Curt, I was about to post that. :D

Greg, the old-skool way to drop fronts is to cut the coils, which I'm sure you already know. In for a dime, in for a dollar, DO IT! :D I like the period-wackiness of it. :D About the only cooler thing would be to make it a gasser with a blown 454. :D and Firestone pie-crust slicks in the back. hahahah

I have a plan... cutting the coils a little (too much and you screw-up the ability to align the front end) and also stepping the lower A-Arms. That should net me 4" of drop, still have suspension travel and not ride too harsh. :cool::cool:

Here's a link to the idea of stepping the lower A-Arms.-

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317696

No go on the gasser and blown 454... way too much $$$. Drop it & drive it... :greg:

Chevycrew

The tires are a good idea for a project like this!

And for the a-arms, simple and effective. I like they way they were built in post #53!

Greg

Admin
The tires are a good idea for a project like this!

And for the a-arms, simple and effective. I like they way they were built in post #53!

Yeah, I think both of those ideas will be applied here. I agree, the guy that stepped the lower A-arms in post 53 did a great job, they look like he really thought it out. :cool:

Here's some more pics and video from today's cruising... :D I'm going to work on getting it plated next week, so I can drive it around town legally!

832974813_XipDx-M.jpg

832974852_AYuBG-M.jpg

832974883_uKyJQ-L.jpg

832974944_odTAE-M.jpg

I stopped by Badbuggys house to show off the new ride... I think he liked it.

832974734_mKA7D-M.jpg

Some videos-

[YOUTUBE]NbXOMHISL4c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]N17vQeTmNMs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sPihdTRKlkk[/YOUTUBE]

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
How is the rear axle suspended? Will it be easy to lower once you do the front A-arms and stuff?

Greg

Admin
How is the rear axle suspended? Will it be easy to lower once you do the front A-arms and stuff?

Leafs, so yeah it will be easy to drop the rear. I'll probably just build some 4" drop blocks. The springs are 2" wide, so using normal 2.5" wide blocks isn't an option. It does have a torque tube though, so apparently you're not supposed to drop them more than around 4" without converting to an opened driveline.

I want to keep it simple, cheap & easy so it will have to stay on the springs. I dream of having it bagged, but that's big bucks.

I will probably run air shocks in the rear so I can raise it up if I have to. As much as I want to drop the front 4", Jeff thinks that may be a bit much without dragging it on everything. I suppose I could drop the rear 4" and do the stepped A-arms for 2.5" in the front and leave it like that. It would have a pretty cool rake to it like that. :greg:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Guess I'll make some calls back east and see if anyone can get me an actual 6-71 blower... and the front axle from some 60's truck heheh

KWight

Great to see the updates

Greg,

I enjoyed reading the progress you have made on your project. It sounds like you enjoyed your weekend more than I enjoyed mine. Here are some shots from the work I am doing on my new house:

(Disclaimer) No trees were harmed in this project on private land:

I hope that you end up taking this to the car show in Moab, if nothing else just for the nostalgia of it!

Kevin

Last edited:

Bart

That thing is soooo cool. I think you're smart leaving it mostly like it is. I'd have a hard time not turning it into a tow rig.

Greg

Admin
Fast forward 9 years.... :eek: :D

I just got a phone call from the brother of a guy that I sent a title to in West Virgina, about 9 years ago. Long story kinda short, I bought this car w/o a title out of Delta, CO. I found a title for the same car online, but it needed to be notarized and also signed by the titled owner! I hunted down the owner, found his phone # and after a brief conversation, mailed off the title with a pre-paid & addressed envelope and a $100 check for the notary and his effort. I NEVER got anything back. Well the guy I sent it to passed away, his brother found my note and the title sitting around the house. He wondered if I needed the title back! I bet it wasn't signed or notarized... but that check was cashed! I sold the car since I had so much trouble getting it registered... it was neat, but a title and registration would have made it that much more fun.