Coolness vs Warranty: story by JL Rockies

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Having worked in consumer electronics for a long time, I can appreciate the value of extended warranties on certain products, and I think they are a waste of money on others. One thing is for certain, even though most people don't use them, they sure can be nice when you do. I've been begrudgingly paying $8 per month on a replacement plan for my phone, and last week I had to make a claim and I'm stoked that I had the additional coverage. I may have spent $300 over the last 3 years paying for the service, but that is still cheaper than buying a new phone out of contract.

As for vehicles, if you're going to pay for the additional coverage, you probably shouldn't modify the vehicle and risk nullifying that coverage.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I've had to have probably 5 or 6 phones replaced with the insurance. The $8 per month is WELLLLLLL worth it, IMO, and I'll never ever not have it! I've probably saved over $2k in new phones with the insurance.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I cannot believe some of the vehicles people buy without aftermarket warranty support. I wouldn't be caught dead in a european car without one.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I bought a really nice warranty on the 4runner when we bought it, 100% of the factory warranty extended until 100k+, zero deductible. When I decided to lift it, I looked at the warranty and the verbiage was that the warranty was still in effect with modifications, just not for the parts associated with the modifications. Well, since it is full-time 4wd, I figured it fubars the entire warranty as it is all associated.

Called the company, sure enough since it is modified for off-highway use, everything but perhaps the seats are not covered. I cancelled it, and it cost me a little over $200 to have it when the truck was unmodified (I was refunded the difference).

I think it is best to just have a savings account with a couple of thousand in there for anything big...even though it is only earning you 2%...

ret32

I keep a savings account for repair and replacement, if something big goes, I decide then which to do, repair or replace; funds are there either way.

I don't buy vehicles new enough for a warranty of any kind. Never owned anything with much less than 100k. Then I run them to 200k+. I can't imagine owning a vehicle where I had to worry what would happen if an engine or tranny went out. With my current vehicle it would be few hundred dollars at a junkyard, a weekend of hard work and I'm back on the road. Unless, of course, I decide to do a major upgrade while I'm in there. But that's optional depending on time/ funds.

Last edited: