Cordless Electric Lawnmowers

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm in the market for a new lawnmower and I'd like it to be battery operated. My main motivation is that I want to mow my lawn at 6am or 9pm when it's not hot as hell out and not piss my neighbors off with the noise of a gas mower! 😁
Seems like there are lots of options out there nowadays, anyone have experience with them? Recommendations?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm in the market for a new lawnmower and I'd like it to be battery operated. My main motivation is that I want to mow my lawn at 6am or 9pm when it's not hot as hell out and not piss my neighbors off with the noise of a gas mower! 😁
Seems like there are lots of options out there nowadays, anyone have experience with them? Recommendations?
We've had a Greenworks model for 6 years this summer and it's been great. The only maintenance I've done on it is replacing the blades (yes, it has two) because they were starting to get dull. Yes, I could've sharpened them but I didn't want to. My only other input is that we went with a push model for simplicity. All of the reviews said it's so light it doesn't need to be self-propelled and I feel that is accurate.

My FIL has had a few different units simply because he's picky. I think the one he landed on is an EGO with a headlight. That would work well for your night-time endeavors.

EDIT: one more piece- when this one dies I am going to consider a Kobalt unit just because if it has any issues Lowes seems to exchange stuff with zero hassle. Worth considering IMO

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We've had a Greenworks model for 5 or 6 years now and it's been great. The only maintenance I've done on it is replacing the blades (yes, it has two) because they were starting to get dull. Yes, I could've sharpened them but I didn't want to. My only other input is that we went with a push model for simplicity. All of the reviews said it's so light it doesn't need to be self-propelled and I feel that is accurate.

My FIL has had a few different units simply because he's picky. I think the one he landed on is an EGO with a headlight. That would work well for your night-time endeavors.

EDIT: one more piece- when this one dies I am going to consider a Kobalt unit just because if it has any issues they seem to exchange stuff with zero hassle. Worth considering IMO
I've heard good things about the EGO's. With yours and your FIL's, any issues with batter life?

Homefryy

I love having an battery operated mower. It is so much more peaceful when mowing without all the noise and so nice to just hit a button and go rather than having to pull start it and deal with all that. I have to stop frequently when mowing to pick up dog toys and not having to pull start it every time I resume makes that a lot less annoying.

I have a Ryobi 40V mower that I have had for 3 summers and am satisfied with it. My only complaint is I wish the blades had more lift/suction. It doesn't always stand up grass that is laying down as well as I would like. So I can end up with grass that is laying down and doesn't get cut. That may also have to do with the poor condition of my grass and the fact that it is constantly being trampled by 2 100lb dogs.

I think EGO is probably the top brand out there but I haven't been keeping up with things. My brother has one and really likes it. I would have gone with EGO but had just bought a house and needed a mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, and hedge trimmer and was on a tight budget so decided to go with Ryobi. If you are just looking at a mower the additional cost of an EGO isn't that huge but it adds up if you are trying to buy a bunch of tools.

N-Smooth

I've heard good things about the EGO's. With yours and your FIL's, any issues with batter life?
Battery life has been great on mine, don't know about the FIL's but I know he loves it. Our last yard wasn't huge but the batteries always lasted the whole time. It's crazy because it's a 40V unit and now I've seen 80 and even 120V out there.

I was really concerned about making the jump from a gas mower that was like $100 to a $279 electric unit but it really has been nice- especially since we moved to a cordless trimmer as well. I had a few years there where I didn't need a can of gas in my shed and I liked it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
With these modern batteries, you need to keep them from freezing. My garage is really well insulated, so it never really hits 32 degrees where I live. You might consider moving them into the house during winter.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
With these modern batteries, you need to keep them from freezing. My garage is really well insulated, so it never really hits 32 degrees where I live. You might consider moving them into the house during winter.
New garage is insulated and I'll probably get a shop heater of some variety out there.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A lot of the mid tier lawn nerds seem to like the egos. (Real lawn nerds use a reel mower.) The thing I've noticed is that ego has tended to release updated batteries or specs and not necessarily change the look or model number. If you go that route I'd just suggest you check online to see what the latest and greatest is for your price point.

shortstraw8

EDIT: one more piece- when this one dies I am going to consider a Kobalt unit just because if it has any issues Lowes seems to exchange stuff with zero hassle. Worth considering IMO
Not sure about the new kobalt mowers, but mine from 2018 80v is terrible and the reason I will just buy a gas mower next. My moms ego seems fine but my kobalt was for the first few years too. My 80v trimmer was great, instead of fighting it to stay running I am fighting the trimmer head now.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
A lot of the mid tier lawn nerds seem to like the egos. (Real lawn nerds use a reel mower.) The thing I've noticed is that ego has tended to release updated batteries or specs and not necessarily change the look or model number. If you go that route I'd just suggest you check online to see what the latest and greatest is for your price point.
I had a push reel mower at the duplex I lived in years ago. It did cut nicer, but it was a PITA to use when the grass was long.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have an EGO Mower, trimmer and snowblower. Love my mower and trimmer I can probably mow my yard 2-3 times on a single charge, could probably trim my way through the amazon on charge. Snow blower is meh, its fine in lighter snow up to about 10 inches. Get anything kinda heavy and its not so great.

I know you can't charge them below freezing, but is there a problem storing them in freezing weather? Asking mainly from the standpoint of my battery snowblower.

N-Smooth

I'm pretty sure greenworks says to charge the batteries once a month over winter and not store below freezing. Whether or not I do that though...

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I have a sixteen year old so I haven't mowed a lawn in years, but the boy likes the Ego. I'm gonna get him an Ego snowblower for Christmas. :D

He does a couple of the neighbor's yards too, he can get all the lawns on one battery most days.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had a push reel mower at the duplex I lived in years ago. It did cut nicer, but it was a PITA to use when the grass was long.
Thats generally how it goes. Its also why real lawn nerds will mow multiple times a week. :D I'd mow every couple days if I had the time. Last year I did my front lawn pretty short and would mow it twice a week with my retired golf course mower and would do the back yard once a week and taller with my rotary mower. My front lawn isn't very big comparatively speaking so I can do it in about 15 minutes.

Also, I love hearing people mow on summer evenings. I don't know why but that sound is like a lullaby to me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I know you can't charge them below freezing, but is there a problem storing them in freezing weather? Asking mainly from the standpoint of my battery snowblower.
Something about the lithium and freezing temps. Every M12 battery I've accidentally left at my property during freezing temps is dead.

DAA

Hmmm... none of my Milwaukee 18v batteries have ever seen the inside of the house. And it definitely gets below freezing in the garage.

Maybe I should show them a little more love.

The battery in the impact, that mostly lives in my Jeep has seen a lot of way below freezing nights.

- DAA