Are you a mudder or a Rocker?

• Slimey and Sloppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard and Rocky

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Me and a buddy of mine (1995 Toyota Tacoma) went up corner canyon on the 11th of January. It was about 8 PM. Since it was right afte our little fog storm we had on Friday it had snowed and rained up there. The main trail which is usually rutted and really rough (especially in a YJ) the whole way up, but it was all mud. Now I'm not a big mud fan, literally I hate mud just because it gets in your brakes and ruins your vehicle. Even weeks after you wash it, you still find mud in places. Once we got to the top, we decided to go over to Highland/Alpine area. We just kept on the trail and the mud just kept getting thicker and thicker. Now I have some pretty bald tires on my YJ. If I did a penny test on them, the date would be above the tread. I have a LSD (trashloc) which I do not know how to engage it. We went through that whole hillside which was extremely fun, I do not recommend to fullsize vehicles, I got a little bit of Rocky Mountain Pinstriping. There was only 1 hill that both of our vehicles could not make it up, it was pure mud, really slick... I would go up in first gear try crawling, and my tires would be spinning forward, but my jeep would be going backwards.

Even though I do not like mud all that much, it was challenging and created something that I'm not experienced with (mud) a new task for me to defeat. I overcame it and had a blast doing it.

I didn't have a camera, but I am taking pics today, and I will post when I can figure out how to upload them from camera to computer.

Only bad thing is when I got to Highland/Alpine, I couldn't see because headlights were pure mud, hellas were pure mud, and when I almost got home the Check Engine Light came on!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Corner canyon... I could really tell you some stories about corner...helicopters, sherrifs, guns, bonfires, couch's...rolling old cars... man that place brings back some memories...call next time you go up cuz' I wouldn't mind another ticket to go with the ones I already got up there...:D ;)

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Ahh the Rocky mountain pin striping. I did do that trail in a full size and it wasn't fun. I don't know if you still come out in someones back yard but he he that was fun at 3 in the morning. Is that area still open or not??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by SmokinCamel
Is that area still open or not??

Some it... basically the Upper and Lower Corner Canyon roads are open to licensed motorized vehicles. Anything off of the trail is illigal because it is mostly private property in the lower area and Forest Service land in the upper area. I have an old map of the area I received when I went to court on a ticket I got up there... it shows alot of the trails still open that I think are closed now but I'm not 100% sure... I just keep the map in my Cruiser when I'm up there...;)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I talked to a sheriff right after he busted 2 wheelers coming down the main trail, and he said you can go up there as long as you stay on the main trail. Even the huge sandhill is off-limits. We just stayed on the main trail and took it all the way to highland, since it was really wet from the day before the trail was really muddy... If you were to step out of your vehicle, you would probably lose your shoe unless it was tied on tight.

Heres an update with what happend...

Saturday night after we went wheeling (of course we had girls) We stopped at my bro's house in highland to get some DVD's (he is the DVD archive man). Then went to my house. We started watching the movies and at about 12:30, I took some kids home. On my way back, I stopped at Chevron to get a drink, and when I started it up and hit the road again, my Check Engine light popped on. So then I was concerned. That night checked oil: clean and full, checked air filter box: Clean. The next day I didn't start it until about 5 P.M., it struggled to start (it has ever since it got cold.) So I thought things were normal let it run for about 15 minutes just idleing. Check Engine light was off so I thought it was fine. Then this morning when I went to school, I started it up, turned on my lights, had my stereo on, but my Subs weren't hitting. So I turned off the stereo. About 5 minutes after driving, my headlights turned off, turn signals stopped working, and heater shut off, and the Check Engine light came back on. Then after my Tech class, I have about 45 minutes before going back to Alta. It had a really hard time starting, then I headed home. Grabbed some grub, went back outside, and it wouldn't start. You could hear the engine cranking, but extremely slow. Tried again and you could then just hear the starter clicking. Had my friend pick me up for school. After school I washed off most of the mud (very dirty) and I tried starting it, it worked! I then pulled off the positive cable (haynes repair manual test for alternator) and it ran for a second, then it stalled out.

So, now my Alternator is shot! (sorry for the long story)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Take your alternatr off and take it down to Autozone and have one of the geeks there check it out...:D

Sounds like an alternator...:(

I'd try to just clean the hell out of it. Spray inside the alternator with $5 worth of Brakeclean and see how things work.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I threw in a Deep Cycle battery and drove the jeep down to Autozone, the geek told me I didn't have an output from the alternator, so either a faulty alternator, or the wires got disconnected. I couldn't check it last night cuz it was dark, but I'm gonna take it off, and clean the crap out of it (thanks Bryson, good idea! :D ), then maybe rewire, then have them retest it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The best way to test it is with it removed from the vehicle... I have performed 100's of these tests and never had a problem with the bench tests... the vehicle ones on the otherhand...not very reliable...

oh yeah and at AZ...make sure you talk to the right geek...some don't know their hand from a screwdriver...:D

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Yea, some guys at AutoZone were trying to tell me that my Dana 35 was stronger than my dana 30 because the number was higher. He didn't know it was RC, and HP.

Thanks Kurt!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by tweakeyjeep
Yea, some guys at AutoZone were trying to tell me that my Dana 35 was stronger than my dana 30 because the number was higher. He didn't know it was RC, and HP.

Thanks Kurt!

Don't listen to those idiots... if you need something right done over there, call me first... I am still good freinds with the manager and he gets things done the right way...;)