Coronavirus

DAA

I had to go to Walmart yesterday for regular groceries. Needed a case of water too, for a trip this week. The aisle was half empty, but still had a lot of bottled water. People were loading up carts FULL of it though so it might not have been there long and wasn't going to be there much longer. I grabbed my one case. TP wasn't gone, but almost!

But over all, the shelves were eerily empty. Canned goods, whole sections of bare shelf, etc. I was able to get everything I went for and bought nothing extra. Except, seeing only about six packs of TP left, I grabbed one of them, just in case :D. Oh, and they had the corned beef brisket flats on sale, so I grabbed a few of those to put in the freezer and throw on the smoker.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I haven't been to the store. I'm not really worried. I have thousands of rounds of ammo and my neighbor is anti gun but comes home with a minivan full of groceries every Saturday. Some people have to learn things the hard way.

My brother has always said he will just stock guns. "I can get food or transportation with a gun, but you can't get a gun with food or transportation"

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I haven't been to the store. I'm not really worried. I have thousands of rounds of ammo and my neighbor is anti gun but comes home with a minivan full of groceries every Saturday. Some people have to learn things the hard way.
My neighborhood is a little rougher, at 2 guns per person I'm feeling a like I need to buy more to keep up... ;)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I know that most of this is in jest, but be careful when picking fights. I have supplies and guns and would be willing to defend my neighbors against people who believe stock piling guns and ammo gives them the right to take from others. Community is the ONLY way to thrive long term.

Again, I understand we are mostly joking.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I know that most of this is in jest, but be careful when picking fights. I have supplies and guns and would be willing to defend my neighbors against people who believe stock piling guns and ammo gives them the right to take from others. Community is the ONLY way to thrive long term.

Again, I understand we are mostly joking.

100%. Pretty sure we're all just flex'n / joking

Coco

There is a gas station next door to our shop. I stopped in for my normal ice this morning around 10 AM. The lady behind the counter (super nice, I am in almost once a day for ice, and the occasional Monster [try the Monster Mule, Fiesta, or Paradise. All really good!]) asked me how I was on gas. I said I think around 3/4 tank. She said you might want to fill it up. I asked is it going up? And she said oh yeah. It was currently at $2.18/Gallon and going to $2.45/Gallon. I was like wow, people are really freaking out about this virus aren't they? She said I had 5 minutes while she would be switching the sign. Well I filled up the truck. Glad I did, I was actually a half tank or just under, and it took about 20 gallons!

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The current craziness is definitely an emotional response.

In the case of Corona virus, the wide spread sickness could cause a disruption in the supply chain of certain things. The biggest disruption will likely come from people hoarding supplies. Think of the .22 ammo shortage a few years ago. There was plenty of .22 ammo for everyones normal shooting habits, but people panic bought so there wasn't any available.

Preparing for a pandemic should be about social distancing. Not having to go to crowded places to get stuff you could reasonably have at home. Of course this should all be done before the disease is spreading. My mom has quite a few health issues that would mean bad news if she caught it. It means bad news if she catches the flu.

I wouldn't consider myself a "prepper". I do consider myself careful and prepared. Given the current run on stores, imagine the chaos in a real emergency. I want no part of that.

Tonkaman

I needed distilled water for my nebulizer since it has one teeny tiny hole for medicine that minerals can easily clog.

I just returned from Walmart in Sandy. The entire water isle was empty! Luckily, I remembered that the baby isle has sterile and distilled water to mix with formula. There were only a few gallons left with the whole shelf section laying bare.

They were also completely out of bleach. I thought that was pretty crazy, because it was anything with bleach in it!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
There is a gas station next door to our shop. I stopped in for my normal ice this morning around 10 AM. The lady behind the counter (super nice, I am in almost once a day for ice, and the occasional Monster [try the Monster Mule, Fiesta, or Paradise. All really good!]) asked me how I was on gas. I said I think around 3/4 tank. She said you might want to fill it up. I asked is it going up? And she said oh yeah. It was currently at $2.18/Gallon and going to $2.45/Gallon. I was like wow, people are really freaking out about this virus aren't they? She said I had 5 minutes while she would be switching the sign. Well I filled up the truck. Glad I did, I was actually a half tank or just under, and it took about 20 gallons!
That isn't due to a virus. There is 1 refinery shut down in the valley right now with another going down at the end of March. Both are planned maintenance, but have tightened supply in the state putting pressure on prices to rise.