Coronavirus

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I know there is a number of self employed members on here. I’m interested in what you do and what effects you've had already from the social distancing. I own a small dry cleaning business with two locations my revenue has dropped to 30% of normal for the last two weeks (it literally happen over night) I went from 13 employees to 2 not including myself. I had a coming to Jesus talk with myself and made some tough decisions in a short period of time. I’m confident I can ride this out till Christmas but I’m not sure after that.

The only silver lining if there is one is we as small businesses are mostly in the same boat they can’t evict us all! I think adversity builds character the last two weeks I’ve had an extra bounce in my step it’s weird but for me there is something exciting about having you back against the wall.
As soon as I'm wearing my dress clothes again for work, we will return. I haven't worn a button down shirt or slacks in 3 weeks now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Now that the State of Utah has travel orders, work has secured essential documents for everyone. I don't think it's needed for me, as I'm either in my work truck or at least in my uniform all the time. My wife also works there, so it could be beneficial to her.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Interesting read on shutting down state borders. Hawai`i has also done this. My hours have been slashed where it doesn't financially make sense for me to remain here full-time also if people start getting funny about securing food for themselves I want to be home to defend the castle. But right now i'd have to self quarantine for 14 days if I left punishable by $5000 fine and 1 year imprisonment.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Also curious when the shit heads of the world will start looting all these closed businesses because they are now easy prey. Easy targets = easy money for bad guys just like cars parked at trailheads with purses left on the seat.

Houndoc

Fortunately we are considered an essential business and continue to work.
We are not seeing routine exams for healthy animals, limiting vaccinations and are required to delay elective surgeries including spays and neuters.
We have gone to curbside service where staff brings the pets into the clinic while owners wait in their car. All communication and payment done over the phone.
Also eliminated Saturday hours.
So far working well and have had minimal impact on staff hours.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

The COVID-19 virus does not mutate very fast. It does so eight to 10 times more slowly than the influenza virus, said Anderson, making its evolution rate similar to other coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

It’s also not expected to spontaneously evolve into a form more deadly than it already is to humans. The SARS-CoV-2 is so good at transmitting itself between human hosts, said Andersen, it is under no evolutionary pressure to evolve.

I think that means it won't be a yearly vaccine thing, but maybe every five years or longer? @mesha?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Did our first attempt at a restaurant dinner last night. Cafe Rio in Magna. What a joke! We ordered and paid on the app. It then says to pull up at our appointed time and they run the food out to us. Our time was 6:20. When we pull up there was probably ten people/groups waiting at the door. I park and go up to the crowd. A worker finally comes out with a bag of food that belongs to no one in the group. People are shouting their names at the worker who then goes back inside, puts that bag on a table next to the door and disappears. Another worker comes out and does the same thing. More people are coming and standing around. There is no order at all. I gave my name to the workers a few times but it didn’t do any good. The crowd is getting larger and no one is happy. One lady kept her face pressed against the window and would occasionally bang her fists on the glass. We all tried to stay spread out, but as more people came they needed to fill in the area to have any hope of talking to a worker. We may as well just been inside sitting down. There’s lots of laughing amongst the crowd as another wrong order was brought out which was good, but I kept thinking this could go from crowd to mob any second. My wife was sitting in the truck which was very close to the crowd. I kept looking at her and could see her face saying “get ready to run”. Our order came out. I grabbed the bag and jumped into the truck without even looking at it. It was just after 7pm. We would eat whatever they gave us. Every other order that had come out before ours was in some way wrong. My wife dove into the bag as we drove away. It was all right. Perhaps because two of the meals in the bag were going to our local set of missionaries. We dropped those off and went home and eat. I need to check the news to see if Cafe Rio burned to the ground last night.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We ordered takeout from Chipotle last night, they now have free delivery. Everything was just as ordered, it was quick and damn good. The delivery guy was a bit odd, like you could tell this wasn't his 'normal', but no complaints otherwise.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I ate at Morty's in St. George last week. Ordered online, it said 6:15 ready time. We showed up a little early, I went in to see if it was by chance done....it was not, but the guy just wrote down the color/make of my car and said he'd bring it out. (same thing he told a couple other people in there at the same time)

I went back out and sat in my car. Every couple minutes someone was running a bag out to a car in the parking lot. By about 6:10 my bag came out. Everything was correct, and REALLY good burgers and fries. :)

@UNSTUCK I think your biggest problem was the Cafe Rio aspect.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We’ve done Cafe Rio in South Jordan once without issue. Bombay House a few times, always spot on. That place is great! And I’ve done BeWilder for lunch twice. Aside from having to see Cody, they’re great.

Tonkaman

Did our first attempt at a restaurant dinner last night. Cafe Rio in Magna. What a joke! We ordered and paid on the app. It then says to pull up at our appointed time and they run the food out to us. Our time was 6:20. When we pull up there was probably ten people/groups waiting at the door. I park and go up to the crowd. A worker finally comes out with a bag of food that belongs to no one in the group. People are shouting their names at the worker who then goes back inside, puts that bag on a table next to the door and disappears. Another worker comes out and does the same thing. More people are coming and standing around. There is no order at all. I gave my name to the workers a few times but it didn’t do any good. The crowd is getting larger and no one is happy. One lady kept her face pressed against the window and would occasionally bang her fists on the glass. We all tried to stay spread out, but as more people came they needed to fill in the area to have any hope of talking to a worker. We may as well just been inside sitting down. There’s lots of laughing amongst the crowd as another wrong order was brought out which was good, but I kept thinking this could go from crowd to mob any second. My wife was sitting in the truck which was very close to the crowd. I kept looking at her and could see her face saying “get ready to run”. Our order came out. I grabbed the bag and jumped into the truck without even looking at it. It was just after 7pm. We would eat whatever they gave us. Every other order that had come out before ours was in some way wrong. My wife dove into the bag as we drove away. It was all right. Perhaps because two of the meals in the bag were going to our local set of missionaries. We dropped those off and went home and eat. I need to check the news to see if Cafe Rio burned to the ground last night.
We have had similar experiences with cafe food takeout over the last year. Their problem is the app doesn’t adjust the availability times based on how busy they are. It always starts at 15 minutes out regardless if it has 100 orders already.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I did notice that 3-4 other had the same 620 pick up time we had. I’m not kidding though. I thought any minute the mob was going to crash the place.

I think we need to have a Coronavirus party at DAA’s and eat good meet.

Reactions: DAA