Coronavirus

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Thought this was an interesting take on how a different country is handling this.
It is going to be very interesting to see what the postmortem is on this. I suspect that when all the dust has settled in a year or two and the data is analyzed, we'll find that the worlds response was on the extreme side. Is that wrong? I don't think so. In the absence of quantifiable data about the virus and our best models predicting that millions were going to die in the US and Europe; our only option as a society was to lock everything down hard to avoid that horrible outcome. But as we move through this and we get more hard data from reliable sources (in other words, not China), its looking more and more like this virus is not the mass killer that we feared. Still deadly and unknown, yes. And should we still be taking mitigating action, absolutely. But, we may find that Sweden had the right solution and the US did not. In the moment, there is nothing wrong with that and I personally am glad that we did something to stunt the advance of this rather than let it run rampant.
Hopefully we learn from this for the future, though.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
You would think the DMV would be getting every ticket booth they could find and setting up more than 3 stations to get things done. I think they normally have 20 different places on the inside and now they are down to 3.

xjtony

For what it is worth, my son registered a new motorcycle in Tooele last week. We parked in the parking lot and texted their number and they texted him back to come on in. No waiting!
How weird. I renewed my tags last week and they made me do it online and wouldn't let me in the building

JeeperG

So sorry to hear that man! They must really be hurting from this.
What kind of work do you do?
It's all good, could be the best thing to happen to some of us really. Utility trailer manufacturing, our plant specifically only builds refrigerated semi trailers, some of the trucking industry might be swamped but they aren't buying new trailers. I haven't heard an official number but has to be 3-400 of us. It's also bad in other manufacturing, my brother drives a local route for Autoliv and he says they are reducing by 80%. Guess I'll work on my truck for a few months at least and get back to trying for a HAFB job again or something. I know I can get work easy.

JeeperG

I worked there for 5 years right out of high school. Leaving was one of the best things I ever did.
Seems like everyone around the area has either worked here or lifetime. I certainly can't totally knock the place cause I just needed work when I moved back up here 6 years ago. I've definitely had way worse jobs. I was already trying to get out, actually interviewed for a base gig last year and I am pretty sure I blew that interview, most intimidating interview ever. 😄. So I'm one step ahead of most these cats, I already have resumes uploaded to job service, too bad nows a shitty time to be looking for a job. I'll get something no doubt, never coming back here. Plus since I already got rid of the wife and have no kids I got it pretty easy, I'm sure some here are gonna be really screwed with loads of debt and a family.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It's all good, could be the best thing to happen to some of us really. Utility trailer manufacturing, our plant specifically only builds refrigerated semi trailers, some of the trucking industry might be swamped but they aren't buying new trailers. I haven't heard an official number but has to be 3-400 of us. It's also bad in other manufacturing, my brother drives a local route for Autoliv and he says they are reducing by 80%. Guess I'll work on my truck for a few months at least and get back to trying for a HAFB job again or something. I know I can get work easy.

Sorry to hear that.

We're trying to do our part as we ordered 31 trailers a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Are you getting a severance or just a "don't let the door hit you on your way out?" Either way I guess you qualify for unemployment with the millions of others that have filed the last few weeks.

My wifes best friend works for the states workforce services. Well, she started there years ago and had pivoted around a bit in that office to where she wasn't working directly with the public. When they locked the doors about a month ago they moved her back to working directly with the public and told her, and everyone else, to work from home and as much as they were able to. I guess she's been pulling 0800-2200 Monday through Friday and the calls just keep coming in. I find it incredible that we were able to go to historically low levels of unemployment to record numbers of people applying so quickly.

I don' know about all of you but this pandemic, the earthquake, and listening to Darknet Diaries podcast (specifically the "not petya" episode thanks @moab_cj5) has given me a list of things that I need to improve on and I've come up with a strategy on how to do that when things calm down. I'm not going to try and stockpile now, that'd be ridiculous with the product shortages we're already seeing, but I have a rough plan.

J-mobzz

My little sister worked for Utah unemployment but quit 7 years ago when she had her first child. They called her two weeks ago offering her Full time job back with an approved 15 hours a week overtime working from home only. She said they didn’t give her any new training or recap on her job just a motivational “do what you can” speech. She also told me she used to average 200-300 cases and she currently has over 2,000. Scary stuff that they need help so much they hire employees that have been gone for nearly a decade bring them in with no training and give them 10X the work load they had when they left. It’s an indication of how many people are out of work right now.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It’s an indication of how many people are out of work right now.

1 in 10 of folks that had a job last month are unemployed now, I think is the number I heard.

I'll confess to being a bit annoyed with the response from the varying levels of government. I see the need for social distance and isolation, but if you're going to strong-arm businesses into closing (on questionable legal ground, no less), you'd better be front and center with relief for those business owners and their employees and that hasn't happened. I don't think the money should have gone through the banks, I think it should have been handed straight out with very little strings attached. A lot fewer would be filing for unemployment if their bosses could have afforded to keep them on the payroll during the closures.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I suppose with all the economic meltdown I can finally be grateful that I’ve chosen a career that has basically put me out of work every winter for the last 15 years (landscape design is as seasonal as it gets). Having to figure out how to save enough money for months of annual unemployment during college, with multiple kids, during the friggin recession, seared into my soul an expectation of financial uncertainty. So while I’ve been married 17 years, almost all of our furniture is free, second hand stuff, yet we have awesome food storage and healthy liquid savings. I recognize that a huge amount of people facing distress never had an option to get ahead. But I wonder how many people freaking out have thousand dollar cell phones and nicer cars than me. My grandparents on both sides were financially prudent their whole lives after growing up in the Great Depression. My parents and in laws were boomers that owned bigger houses earlier and saved far less. I wonder if there is ever a silver lining for society when it all hits the fan.

DAA

You just don't understand how graft - "The System" - works Kevin. It helps to turn off the sound and not hear a word that is said but only to see what politicos "actually do". They're very consistent, really.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
You just don't understand how graft - "The System" - works Kevin. It helps to turn off the sound and not hear a word that is said but only to see what politicos "actually do". They're very consistent, really.
- DAA

I'm waiting to see how and who gets rich from this shipping container of money thats about to flow.