Coronavirus

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
You just don't understand how graft - "The System" - works Kevin. It helps to turn off the sound and not hear a word that is said but only to see what politicos "actually do". They're very consistent, really.

- DAA

I have this funny mix of pessimistic skepticism and a belief in the basic goodness of people, and it screws with me. I think I'm getting a complex over it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I recognize that a huge amount of people facing distress never had an option to get ahead. But I wonder how many people freaking out have thousand dollar cell phones and nicer cars than me.
Maybe I have a skewed perspective here, but I don't think there are many people who didn't have the option to get ahead, maybe 1 in a million, so a few hundred in the entire US. There are many people who don't take that option.
I have too many friends, family and acquaintances who started from nothing and are successful now to believe that the American dream is dead. Times like these galvanize people and true character shows through.

Pike2350

We've finally had a lull at work. I was able to take a couple extra days off because we have started to catch up with demand. Lory and I have been working a lot of extra time and we're absolutely ready for some quarantine time. In the mountains.
I'm having the opposite problem. I was cut back on hours and the wife was furloughed. My work has stayed so busy I'm back at full time+ and my wife has been doing side work for her employer under the table. Both of us trying to work at home with a 2 year old and the part time 10 yr old is trying and it's making me itch for some quarantine time alone in the mountains or something.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Maybe I have a skewed perspective here, but I don't think there are many people who didn't have the option to get ahead, maybe 1 in a million, so a few hundred in the entire US. There are many people who don't take that option.
I have too many friends, family and acquaintances who started from nothing and are successful now to believe that the American dream is dead. Times like these galvanize people and true character shows through.
I agree, generally. But maybe I wouldn’t get too literal on the concept of “option.” Through poor life choices, many, many people give up options for improving their life and get stuck in a rut of their own making. No while nobody is holding them down but themselves, they’re not in the same position of upward opportunity as you or I. And I think that number is a big number; huge, one could say. But certainly not the majority, and certainly not the majority of even those that think they are in that situation.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I believe in the American dream, and I've gone on record saying that through all of this, I'm certainly not a victim despite how shitty my situation and timing may be. I've had the opportunity to try and make something of myself, and I may go down in a massive fireball of financial ruin, but I had the chance to take the chance and that IS more than some people get.

Through all of my experience building this brewery thing, and to a lesser extent the brew shops, it became abundantly and painfully clear how much easier this kind of thing is if you have money. Money makes making more money easier. Nothing rings more true that "it takes money to make money". It may not be the ONLY way to make money, but it's the only way to make making money easier. Money literally buys time. It can buy the time you need to go to school. It can pay for delays in building something. It can pay to fix something. It can sustain you while you wait for the other guy to financially implode. If you come from any sort of money, you have an advantage. I didn't come from money at all, but I wasn't necessarily poor either. I was able to get a good education, and was raised in a good, relatively safe environment that allowed me a substantial head start on the road to the "american dream". I would say on that path, I probably started at like maybe a 5 or 6? I've seen what starting at 10 looks like (my elfing land lord for example, born on 3rd base, thought she hit a triple), and I've seen people that came from shit beginnings. Obviously you can start at 10 and fail and you can start at 0 and make it but it is SOOOO much easier the higher you start. But I think from starting somewhat in the middle, I can see where both sides come from and I'm forever thankful at the opportunity I had to start where I did and not even further behind.

So yes, everyone is born with an opportunity in American, but that opportunity is not equally distributed. Some people have that opportunity all but eliminated by environmental issues before they are even out of grade school.

JeeperG

Are you getting a severance or just a "don't let the door hit you on your way out?" Either way I guess you qualify for unemployment with the millions of others that have filed the last few weeks.

My wifes best friend works for the states workforce services. Well, she started there years ago and had pivoted around a bit in that office to where she wasn't working directly with the public. When they locked the doors about a month ago they moved her back to working directly with the public and told her, and everyone else, to work from home and as much as they were able to. I guess she's been pulling 0800-2200 Monday through Friday and the calls just keep coming in. I find it incredible that we were able to go to historically low levels of unemployment to record numbers of people applying so quickly.

I don' know about all of you but this pandemic, the earthquake, and listening to Darknet Diaries podcast (specifically the "not petya" episode thanks @moab_cj5) has given me a list of things that I need to improve on and I've come up with a strategy on how to do that when things calm down. I'm not going to try and stockpile now, that'd be ridiculous with the product shortages we're already seeing, but I have a rough plan.
No severance, roll over the profit sharing and move on, although I am certain there will be some that cash that out. Yes I can collect unemployment, I am still uncertain what that will be and hopefully I can personally limit my outgo ASAP, I am no stranger to rice and beans.

I am not concerned with myself and my situation. I am not on fakebook, I don't watch much T.V. but I did earlier and WOW. commercials are sad about you and your situation... I'm concerned for many

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I believe in the American dream, and I've gone on record saying that through all of this, I'm certainly not a victim despite how shitty my situation and timing may be. I've had the opportunity to try and make something of myself, and I may go down in a massive fireball of financial ruin, but I had the chance to take the chance and that IS more than some people get.

Through all of my experience building this brewery thing, and to a lesser extent the brew shops, it became abundantly and painfully clear how much easier this kind of thing is if you have money. Money makes making more money easier. Nothing rings more true that "it takes money to make money". It may not be the ONLY way to make money, but it's the only way to make making money easier. Money literally buys time. It can buy the time you need to go to school. It can pay for delays in building something. It can pay to fix something. It can sustain you while you wait for the other guy to financially implode. If you come from any sort of money, you have an advantage. I didn't come from money at all, but I wasn't necessarily poor either. I was able to get a good education, and was raised in a good, relatively safe environment that allowed me a substantial head start on the road to the "american dream". I would say on that path, I probably started at like maybe a 5 or 6? I've seen what starting at 10 looks like (my elfing land lord for example, born on 3rd base, thought she hit a triple), and I've seen people that came from shit beginnings. Obviously you can start at 10 and fail and you can start at 0 and make it but it is SOOOO much easier the higher you start. But I think from starting somewhat in the middle, I can see where both sides come from and I'm forever thankful at the opportunity I had to start where I did and not even further behind.

So yes, everyone is born with an opportunity in American, but that opportunity is not equally distributed. Some people have that opportunity all but eliminated by environmental issues before they are even out of grade school.

You are absolutely right. It's far easier to be successful when you take over the multi million dollar family business vs start your own. There are downsides to the inherited wealth model though. Imagine the stress of not breaking what your family had built. Being the generation that ruined the family business because you are an introvert and your dad was a great salesman. True you can sell the business and use the cash to start your own thing.
Another aspect of this is that we aren't all equal. I consider myself to be 51% (I mean who wants to be below average) on the intelligence spectrum. I work with people who aren't just well educated, but have actual intelligence. They have multiple global patents for software design, electrical engineer and so on. What I'm saying is they are smart and they know how to apply it in the real world. I sit in meetings where I am intellectually sprinting to keep these people in sight. Being that smart seems like a huge advantage to a dummy like me.

One thing that I have learned in the last 5 years (a lot from desert racing) is that hard working competitive people who aren't afraid to do what other people won't, are almost always successful, regardless of intelligence. You can be as dumb as me and make a good living. Too many people are happy to coast until they see what the guy grinding gets. I laugh when I hear people who think 40 hours a week is working full time. I'm sure you have been grinding Cody and no doubt you are getting the short shaft right now. That sucks big time. I can't imagine someone like you not coming back from this. I don't really know you but anyone who is driven enough to build the businesses you have, will rise to the top over time.

Sorry for the tangent. Now back to the impending doom.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Speaking of impending doom, MIT argues that we're still better in the long run:

Verner points to the fates of two cities in particular: Cleveland and Philadelphia. Cleveland acted aggressively, closing schools and banning gatherings early in the outbreak and keeping the restrictions in place for far longer. Philadelphia was slower to react and maintained restrictions for about half as long. Not only did far fewer people die in Cleveland (600 per 100,000, compared with 900 per 100,000 in Philadelphia), but its economy fared better and was much stronger in the year after the outbreak. By 1919 job growth was 5% there, while in Philadelphia it was around 2%.

I'm sure that's zero comfort for the guys getting the short end of the stick right now. Posting this while I sit here collecting a paycheck is making me profoundly uncomfortable.

Troop92

*TARGET UPDATE 4/10 *

I'm convinced that people are idiots. No matter your position on all this, common sense is apparently dead.

Knowing what COVID can do, why would you come to a Target and wander just to wander? Why bring your entire family to wander and have your kids touch every. surface. in. the. store? Why let you kids meet up with their friends and wander the store?

The store itself is mostly back to normal, with the exception of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes. I'm not convinced those will ever be back on shelves. 🙄 Grocery is stocked, albeit with a smaller selections on some things.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I see is those that wear gloves and then touch their face, phone, purse/wallet. Clearly they're unfamiliar with how gloves work.

Coco

We are now required to wear gloves and a mask at work (probably old news here) but I wear gloves pretty much all day every day, and now I just sanitize my gloves for the most part, and then swap to another pair later in the day. I will say this though, the mask moves down my face, and yes, I find myself touching and moving this effing mask wayyyyyy more than I ever touched my face without a mask on... 🙄 but hey, we have to have them.....

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
1 in 10 of folks that had a job last month are unemployed now, I think is the number I heard.

I'll confess to being a bit annoyed with the response from the varying levels of government. I see the need for social distance and isolation, but if you're going to strong-arm businesses into closing (on questionable legal ground, no less), you'd better be front and center with relief for those business owners and their employees and that hasn't happened. I don't think the money should have gone through the banks, I think it should have been handed straight out with very little strings attached. A lot fewer would be filing for unemployment if their bosses could have afforded to keep them on the payroll during the closures.

The decision to go through the banks makes way more sense than trying to administer the program through the SBA. At best the SBA is set up to handle a regional disaster like a hurricane or an earthquake, but now way can they handle the whole country at once. Farming it out through the banks is like hiring all of the trained loan officers you need overnight.

Banks were/are struggling with this because of a lack of direction from the SBA. Some are handling it better than others but all are a bit in the dark because the government cant get their poop in group. I promise you, it would be exponentially worse if the SBA tried to administer this itself.

Talk to other business owners and find out who is handling this successfully, it may be time to evaluate your banking relationship. Today is the first day since last Wednesday that I have worked less than 15 hours writing $2-3MM in loans a day.

PM me if you have questions or need insight

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
We are now required to wear gloves and a mask at work (probably old news here) but I wear gloves pretty much all day every day, and now I just sanitize my gloves for the most part, and then swap to another pair later in the day. I will say this though, the mask moves down my face, and yes, I find myself touching and moving this effing mask wayyyyyy more than I ever touched my face without a mask on... 🙄 but hey, we have to have them.....
We started wearing masks this week. I hate them and agree I constantly pull at it. I have a new found respect for dental hygienists.