Coronavirus

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Nope, this virus existed for a long time before it made the jump to a human host (likely with a little help from the ChiCom bio weapons lab). There are so many similar viruses out there on the verge of making the same jump, the potential was always there. The difference is that you have seen the face of this boogeyman and given him a name.

If there is an increased risk it's not because there are more viruses but rather because we are more interconnected across the globe. 100 years ago this would have infected a portion (or even all) of the local population who would build immunity (or all die) and this type of viral metamorphasis would be contained.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You can’t tell me I’m at risk of getting a virus that only lives in non human animals. When it makes the jump like Covid has then I become at risk.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
People I know that have had the virus:

Me, my wife, and of my 5 kids, only the 13 y/o showed tiny symptoms

Both my parents (both high risk)
Two older siblings, three younger siblings and their spouses

My wife's 96 year old grandma, and my dad's 90 year old uncle. Everyone experienced minor or typical flu symptoms but my great uncle, who passed away.

I think the government response should be 100% focused on high risk individuals, and let the general public go on as usual. For a fraction of the cost, they could pay at-risk people to stay home and have food delivered to their door. It's clear by this point that if you're not old or have other compromising health concerns, covid is no more dangerous than all the other things that can kill you.

2020 has been a banner year for me. My business had done great, basically no church, lots of family time, and a ready excuse whenever I don't want to do stuff. However, I see others struggle because the government is pulling the rug out from beneath then, I see personal freedoms being trampled, I see the national debt skyrocketing, and I see a general spirit of fear and panic across the country, which leads to all sorts of negative outcomes. The broad spectrum response to covid is ridiculous.

rholbrook

How many of you all have slowed down the fast food consumption since the outbreak? Anybody working on themselves to become healthier and have better immune systems? Just curious.
I have, I am down almost 45lbs. Eating better has been a big part of it but mostly learning portion control, and less mashed potatoes, breads and treats. I am also spending more time riding my eBike and dirtbike.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
How many of you all have slowed down the fast food consumption since the outbreak? Anybody working on themselves to become healthier and have better immune systems? Just curious.

I'm still the same "obese", semi-chunky dude. I have put in a 75% of a yard. You'd think that'd help? (I do like my bacon though)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I’ve been taking 5000ius of vitamin D3, 1000 mgs of vitamin C, mens multivitamin and fish oil since March. I haven’t drank beer/alcohol since the 9th of September I was drinking 3-4 beers a day and as many as 8-12 on a good day.

Careful with too much of the fish oil... but you can take Vit E to help with any issues that are caused by that. (Fish oils oxidize in your body and can cause stiff tendons and other issues)

I still do a shot of whiskey at night a few times a week. I didn't all drink all summer until just a few weeks ago though.

Jesser04

Careful with too much of the fish oil... but you can take Vit E to help with any issues that are caused by that. (Fish oils oxidize in your body and can cause stiff tendons and other issues)

I still do a shot of whiskey at night a few times a week. I didn't all drink all summer until just a few weeks ago though.

The fish oil I haven’t been as commit to I only take it after eat and even then I forget half the time. I think I’m going to order some of this and give it a try.

Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Beef Organs (Desiccated) — Liver, Heart, Kidney, Pancreas, Spleen (180 Capsules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP7Z1KN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zZfKFbD7Z1J3R

RockChucker

I'm down 20 lbs since Feb. Haven't eaten much less fast food than normal (which was only maybe every other month). Have eaten out less at other restaurants than before though (which was around once a week), but that was coming down the pipeline anyway as a budgetary measure. I've been more conscious about portions and been riding my mtb 4-5 days a week averaging 8 miles and 1200 feet of climbing each ride. I've ridden almost 600 miles and climbed 80k vertical feet. I feel a heck of a lot better cardiovascular-ly than I ever have and have found my resting heart rate has dropped from higher 60 bpm to mid 50s. Kind of bummed the mtb season is winding down. I'm going to continue riding as much as I can with a headlight in the dark.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'm still the same "obese", semi-chunky dude. I have put in a 75% of a yard. You'd think that'd help? (I do like my bacon though)

I lose about a pound every other day when I switch to the 'Bacon and mountain dew diet'. No joke.
When I can eat all meat and some dew I am a happy person, I feel good, I lose weight, and I enjoy the diet. If I cut out the Dew, I can only assume it would go even better.
The problem I run into is that it is about $350/month for me to eat that way.. so I quit.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I lose about a pound every other day when I switch to the 'Bacon and mountain dew diet'. No joke.
When I can eat all meat and some dew I am a happy person, I feel good, I lose weight, and I enjoy the diet. If I cut out the Dew, I can only assume it would go even better.
The problem I run into is that it is about $350/month for me to eat that way.. so I quit.

I can probably cover the bacon cost if I were to do that. I have a "source". I'm not sure if I could do the 100% bacon diet, though. Especially when I smell it all day, 5+ days a week.

mbryson

Supporting Member
And work ruins yet another hobby...

I do still eat bacon, just if that's all I ate, it'd be a bit to much. If/when I leave here, I still want to like bacon. I try to moderate a bit. FWIW, my dog doesn't care at ALL about my boots any longer. He's in the same boat. If I COOK bacon, he's VERY attentive, but it really takes something serious to get him interested.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't eat great...not horrible, but not great. I try to eat mostly salads at work where 1/2 my meals come from. I have very low energy levels by mid-late day (which is like 10 hours into my workday ha ha), and I've been chalking it up to 2 years of stress and overwork...coupled with getting older and having almost zero time to exercise regularly. But, according to my latest blood test, I also have really low testosterone levels so they want me to start taking testosterone supplements. I don't take medicine generally...I go through maybe 4-6 advil per month at the most (which is usually hangover related) which is the extent of my pharmaceutical use. I'm not sure how I feel about it taking the T in the A, but if it helps me feel more focused and have more energy then it's probably worth the cost/hassle. Besides, maybe it'll bring back the more aggressive Cody rants too? We could all use more CodeRage.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I don't eat great...not horrible, but not great. I try to eat mostly salads at work where 1/2 my meals come from. I have very low energy levels by mid-late day (which is like 10 hours into my workday ha ha), and I've been chalking it up to 2 years of stress and overwork...coupled with getting older and having almost zero time to exercise regularly. But, according to my latest blood test, I also have really low testosterone levels so they want me to start taking testosterone supplements. I don't take medicine generally...I go through maybe 4-6 advil per month at the most (which is usually hangover related) which is the extent of my pharmaceutical use. I'm not sure how I feel about it taking the T in the A, but if it helps me feel more focused and have more energy then it's probably worth the cost/hassle. Besides, maybe it'll bring back the more aggressive Cody rants too? We could all use more CodeRage.
I bet exercise would probably help with the testosterone levels too?