Coronavirus

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was talking to my dad a while ago (former teacher) he was saying that kids were over 6 months behind in math knowledge, at what point are the kids just not going to make it up to where they should be?

My kids (jordan school district) are frequently the only kids fully finishing their 'home' packets for school. My niece (apline school district) was the only one in her class to even turn in anything for a week of school.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Covid delays from California shipping facilities are legit. The state has a ton of crazy rules for all of our operations down there. Most of them are operating at about 60% capacity because they have so many people out on quarantine. They aren't in quarantine because they actually have the virus, but because they came within 8' of any person who had it in the last 10 days, even briefly.

January is usually our slowest month. My distribution center is taking over servicing a bunch of Las Vegas stores that are usually serviced by our Apple Valley DC. That DC has over 400 employees out on quarantine. Our DC only has 700 people working there and only 3 are out with Covid. January won't be slow for us this month.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
In February, my department lost half of our Techs to go to Virginia to help with a fab startup there. We have been swamped. 1/3 of my department is on quarantine on average. They just handed out bluetooth trackers last week that will make contact tracing easier for our safety team. They are super inaccurate. The first time someone test positive, it will end up quarantining our entire team and they will bag the whole thing. It's silly.

On the education front, I am involved in hiring Electronics techs. We require associate degrees in robotics or electronics. Many of our hires (including me) went through UVU and they had an awesome program. The last people I interviewed this summer were from UVU and had done 1/2 of a semester online. They admitted it was not the same. Now imaging an entire class going through the training online. I won't be able to find qualified candidates to fill $60K starting wage jobs. That doesn't even take into account the kids in high school who won't be able to pass college entrance tests due to most of their high school education being bunk.

The end of our collective patience is spring in my book.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I'm always curious about this type of thing.
View attachment 134032

29 deaths reported by KSL. .gov has 8 reported....

View attachment 134033
You have the .gov disclaimer of "Deaths during this time may not yet be reported".......so it begs the question.......Where is KSL getting their information from? Who do we trust? At this point I don't put a lot of faith into anything other than looking at the trends and averages and the picture if very clear. While infection rates may be rising or staying high.....the hospital and death rates as a % are not rising.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You have the .gov disclaimer of "Deaths during this time may not yet be reported".......so it begs the question.......Where is KSL getting their information from? Who do we trust? At this point I don't put a lot of faith into anything other than looking at the trends and averages and the picture if very clear. While infection rates may be rising or staying high.....the hospital and death rates as a % are not rising.

There's been previous discrepancies from "news" sources citing higher death counts (significant type like today) that don't show in the .gov history. I think I have another post in this thread showing the same thing? Looks like there's a 9 day potential lag for "Deaths during this time may not yet be reported"? I'll try to quote the above 9-10 days from now?

mbryson

Supporting Member
anyone else find this interesting?
View attachment 133353

View attachment 133354

Then there's the state's own data.....
View attachment 133356
View attachment 133355

For a while, the press matched the .gov. Now the .gov is painting a WAY different picture than the local press. Sensationalism and ads are definitely an influence. I wonder why people don't trust media outlets?

I don't really care much about case counts. I think we're all going to be exposed to this as I've mentioned before. I am curious about the case counts in relation to the death rate (sounds kind of morbid and I could be a statistic there as easily as anyone? I certainly don't wish that on anyone or their family members). Case counts the past few weeks have been somewhat accurate with some slight discrepancies. Death rates have been GROSSLY exaggerated by the press or WOEFULLY underreported by the .gov. Truth is somewhere in the middle? (in this case, I'm trusting the .gov which is kind of unusual for me)

Here's my Dec 9 post on the same thing. 23 deaths reported that day by same "news" source (that has good classifieds). Utah.gov reports 11 deaths after all reporting has come through.

1610052907675.png

mbryson

Supporting Member
Why aren't the non-mask wearing people dropping dead? Why isn't the homeless population decimated?

Shit is fake.

These are good questions. Corona is a real thing and can be quite debilitating and even cause death. I have a hard time believing it's worth wrecking world economies over? An at-risk based response would seem MUCH more reasonable than a full on quarantine?

I know a few folks that have had SERIOUS cases, no one I know has had to be admitted to a hospital. I do know one person that lost someone in their family and I have seen someone on RME lost a mom to the disease. I do think it's a bit of an odd disease and we should be aware of it. I've been in the office since March still while working with 400-500 of my closest friends making bacon. We've had hand sanitizer and hand washing stations put up everywhere. A lot of encouragement for personal hygiene. We've installed thermal cameras as people come in to work to check temperatures. I've handed masks out at shift changes to departments. I'm not the biggest mask fan at all. I don't see that they are really helping but from a legal standpoint, I believe we have to do everything we can to keep our workers safe. We've had some cases and quarantined according to guidelines (which has hurt production at times) but I don't know of any serious cases at my work (I'm not in HR so I wouldn't know everything).

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Why aren't the non-mask wearing people dropping dead? Why isn't the homeless population decimated?

Shit is fake.
I'm across the street from the 4th Street Clinic. The nurses are our most regular customers. All I can say is that they feel like they are on the front lines of a war zone right now. According to them, COVID Is a major problem in the homeless population they deal with.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm across the street from the 4th Street Clinic. The nurses are our most regular customers. All I can say is that they feel like they are on the front lines of a war zone right now. According to them, COVID Is a major problem in the homeless population they deal with.
They seem to be flourishing in CA. I'm guessing flu + cold weather in Utah and this is a normal thing for them. But surely they would admit that.
edit: oh nevermind there's no flu this year.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would imagine accurate numbers from the homeless population are not easy to get, regardless of what those numbers are representing.

xjtony

Shit is fake.
I completely agree that the numbers being reported are over inflated at best, that the protection provided by masks is questionable and that the rushing of vaccines could hold some serious consequences in the future. The problem is that I personally know enough people who have lost family members (including ones with no known medical conditions) that I cannot believe anymore that the whole thing is fake. Keep in mind that I also know MANY people who have had it and recovered fine. I'm even pretty sure the wife and I both had it last month even though her test was negative (she was very sick for a few weeks with most of the normal symptoms). Try to console a friend who has lost family members including a parent and it becomes much more real.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The nurses could be in on the conspiracy too. Lots of possible explanations. It's like Occam's Razor, only the opposite.

Really though, the homeless is so disconnected from the system that it really is impossible to account for what is happening in that population. As for why maskless folks aren't dropping like flies, I don't know. Again, Occam's Razor, but maybe it's because Covid isn't super deadly to most of the population and the masks are meant to slow additional spread more so than be a lightning bolt cure. I don't recall anywhere being fed a fairytale that if you wear a mask, you're not going to live.

xjtony

I remember a report stating that something like 70-80% of new cases at the time claimed that they wore a mask at all appropriate times. I would have to assume a fair percentage of those people were probably streching the truth, but not all. I think for a lot of folks the mask thing is for reassurance, like when you're a kid and hide under the sheets from the monster under your bed. I will say that in the last few weeks in Grantsville mask wearing has become much more sparse than it was

JeeperG

I do know people that think you are IMMUNE to COVID if you wear mask. A couple of them have gotten sick despite their mask wearing
None of us like wearing masks, most at my job don't wear them properly, far as I know nobody there has got it from there, we are also not packed in like sardines, we are at 70+ positive cases reported since March, of those that have had it that I have spoken to either it was the sickest they have been or they've had worse. My cousin who is between 45-50 and I assume was healthy, former olympic diving trainer in his younger days, car salesman by day, he was placed in a coma and intubated for 13 days, I hear he is recovering and on oxygen right now. I assume he got it from his job, I was told many of his co-workers also had it.

Pike2350

I'm always curious about this type of thing.
View attachment 134032

29 deaths reported by KSL. .gov has 8 reported....

View attachment 134033
I explained it in a previous post, but you are looking at 2 separate statistics. The top story is REPORTED deaths..not that they died today (or yesterday) It was when it was reported to the Health department as a Covid death. The 2nd is the DATE OF DEATH. There can obviously be a lag between when the person dies and it shows up as reported.

Not to mention that the KSL article also goes on to state that 17 of the deaths were from prior to Dec 20th after the Health Dept. investigated them and "confirmed" them as Covid deaths.

Another example of it.

Sept 23.

1610058158488.png

1610058248827.png

EDIT AGAIN. i just took the time to add all the deaths on that chart and I came up with 1363. The KSL story reports that there are 1359 deaths reported...so I likely just fat fingered an extra entry or something.

Last edited: