Coronavirus

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Work has decided to limit hours. They are seeing a slow down in the sales/new orders...and exp3ct with the panic it will be this way for a few weeks up to 90 days....assuming things level out by then. They are pushing work from home and are limiting hours of non-essential people. Current jobs will finish out as normal.

This slows down some plans for me....and gives me a little free time....not enough to really enjoy unfortunately. Also, my daughters school (private catholic) is shut down until 3/31 and it's not even spring break.....so it will be closed for 3 weeks out of the next 5. That means even more time off work to tend a kid

I wish my hours were being cut. I was told on Thursday that I will be working every day with no time off until further notice.

Yesterday I started @ 6:00am and finally left work around 10:00pm.

This shit is getting old real quick and I don't know how long I can keep up these 14-16 hour days, hell 10-hour days anymore kick my ass.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wish my hours were being cut. I was told on Thursday that I will be working every day with no time off until further notice.

Yesterday I started @ 6:00am and finally left work around 10:00pm.

This shit is getting old real quick and I don't know how long I can keep up these 14-16 hour days, hell 10-hour days anymore kick my ass.

Mike
They're trying that with us. I just flat told them no. I gotta take care of my family.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yesterday all of our drivers were sent a message from our new transportation CEO. The message was about personal safety. It mentioned things like
"keep your eyes open for people loitering near the dock area"
"unsafe situations with mobs of people"
And then went into detail about when to "abandon the equipment and leave the property"

This tells me that there have already been incidents. I've spent a lot of time thinking about why I need to be at work, if work is not safe to be at.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This tells me that there have already been incidents. I've spent a lot of time thinking about why I need to be at work, if work is not safe to be at.

And this is when it all gets real :confused:

Supply and demand will take care of itself. If I have to use a hose as a bidet for a few weeks, not a big deal. But if the guys that get our food to the stores stop showing up out of fear for personal safety... 💩

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
And this is when it all gets real :confused:

Supply and demand will take care of itself. If I have to use a hose as a bidet for a few weeks, not a big deal. But if the guys that get our food to the stores stop showing up out of fear for personal safety... 💩
Yes, exactly. I'll risk my life to defend my family and friends, not a water trailer.

There isn't a shortage on any of these items like TP and bottled water. The problem is freight flow. We can't move it quickly enough.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Costco off 18th and 300 west had a line of people waiting to get in at 730 this morning that reached around onto the sidewalk of 300 west.. crazy, the gas line was nothing, when I filled up

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
There isn't a shortage on any of these items like TP and bottled water. The problem is freight flow. We can't move it quickly enough.

Exactly. We are shipping product to our stores as fast as we receive it. Yesterday our driver's hours were up and we were contracting with outside carriers just to get product to the stores. That will at least be alleviated by Monday with the transportation announcement on hours being lifted but hurting right now. Flow is also held up by having enough bodies to select the orders and load trailers as well as having enough equipment period for this spike.

I'm not happy about the 7-days or the long hours because I feel like I'm helping to feed our communities but when people in our communities are being stupid by panic buying that is what becomes frustrating.

Mike

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yes, exactly. I'll risk my life to defend my family and friends, not a water trailer.

I have a cousin who is an OTR owner operator. He only posts 10 or 15 memes a day stating how if he stops driving, the country stops. It was extremely annoying until right about now.
I have always figured we are all a community and we all fill a role. Cops, construction, truckers, sewer treatment plant, healthcare workers, we all contribute and if any major loss of an industry occurred it would affect us all as a community. I always felt like he was being pretty egotistical.
Now, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that entire stores can be drained in 12 hours in UT. If trucking stopped for a day, it would cause a lasting ripple effect for at least a month. I have a renewed appreciation for you guys hauling our stuff. We are much more hand to mouth than I thought we were.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Rant ahead.

My son was hanging out with some friends last night. He had been hanging out with them at school so we didn't see much of a difference. While there one of the girls get a call from her mom and she left immediately. The girls uncle had just been confirmed to have Covid19. He has been living in Italy, but came to Utah for a funeral. This girl did not have direct contact with him, but he visited the house and her dad had direct contact while at the funeral.

Here is the part that ticks me off. The parents sent the girl to hang out knowing they were waiting for the uncles test results. They knew something was up, he went and got tested and they sent her to a "party" while waiting to hear. I am super bugged right now. There was no direct contact with her and her uncle or my son and her. However, I cannot wrap my head around sending her to hang out with a group of friends.

I am not overly worried about my son having the virus. The link between him and the uncle is a distant one.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I feel like I am the most likely to get in my family it as I work closely with a large, very diverse group of coworkers. The rest of my family doesn’t see much out of Magna.
Now I’m in the doghouse because I don’t want to visit the in-laws tomorrow who I know will be in the VERY serious group if they get sick.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I feel conflicted about going and doing stuff while the state is on lock down. I want to go talk to someone at the bike shop to fill in some blanks about what I've been thinking. I want to have my brother and his family come up for dinner tomorrow. I want to carry on as almost normal but without all the mouth breathers out in mass everywhere. My wife seems to think doing all that is a bad idea and I ought to chill at home.

Without sports on TV chilling at home is trouble. Especially since with my knee and ankle still healing and hurting I'm not feeling up to working on projects at home.

Corban_White

Found out last night that kids were out of school for the next 2 weeks, went online and booked a hotel in Moab Monday and Tuesday! Should be awesome bike riding! 😁

I feel like that's amazingly irresponsible. I'm not worried about me or my kids getting it either, but we all have relatives/coworkers/neighbors that could be vulnerable to this thing.
Rant ahead.

My son was hanging out with some friends last night. He had been hanging out with them at school so we didn't see much of a difference. While there one of the girls get a call from her mom and she left immediately. The girls uncle had just been confirmed to have Covid19. He has been living in Italy, but came to Utah for a funeral. This girl did not have direct contact with him, but he visited the house and her dad had direct contact while at the funeral.

Here is the part that ticks me off. The parents sent the girl to hang out knowing they were waiting for the uncles test results. They knew something was up, he went and got tested and they sent her to a "party" while waiting to hear. I am super bugged right now. There was no direct contact with her and her uncle or my son and her. However, I cannot wrap my head around sending her to hang out with a group of friends.

I am not overly worried about my son having the virus. The link between him and the uncle is a distant one.

Rant reply ahead.

I have an issue with this attitude that "anyone who knows someone who has a relative who might have a connection to someone who might be getting tested needs to stay away or they are being irresponsible." Especially from some of the very people who have been advocating for everyone to calm down! What happened to "if you feel sick stay home?" When did it turn into "if you have an acquaintance who feels sick, even if you haven't had direct contact with them for months, stay home, go to the hospital, get tested, keep the world safe??" I expect that I and/or my family members WILL get this "cold." I also expect not to visit my elderly grandmother for a while. I plan to go on with my life without panicking and I expect others to do the same! If individuals or families are worried about their PERSONAL health, they should make changes to their OWN lifestyle to address those concerns, not expect to go on as normal while everyone else makes changes to accommodate their concerns.

Rant over.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
if you have an acquaintance who feels sick, even if you haven't had direct contact with them for months, stay home, go to the hospital, get tested, keep the world safe

I don't know who you're replying to, but I didn't see anybody in this thread say anything like that. Read Mesha's post again. "If you feel sick stay home" is great advice and the responsible course of action. So is "if you've been in contact with your dumbass uncle who just came home from Italy and has a damned good chance to be carrying and shedding the virus even though he's asymptomatic, stay home".

It's not enough to stay home when you're sick. You need to stay home if you might be sick, because there's a period of up to 14 days between when you catch the thing and when you start showing symptoms. And even then, it might be mild enough that you don't even notice. You're still contagious. It's not panic. It's part of living in a community. It's part of smoothing out that spike in cases that's going to devastate our hospitals. It's common sense.

How the f*** Mr. Uncle came from Italy and managed not to be quarantined in the first place is beyond me.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Found out last night that kids were out of school for the next 2 weeks, went online and booked a hotel in Moab Monday and Tuesday! Should be awesome bike riding! 😁

Rant reply ahead.

I have an issue with this attitude that "anyone who knows someone who has a relative who might have a connection to someone who might be getting tested needs to stay away or they are being irresponsible." Especially from some of the very people who have been advocating for everyone to calm down! What happened to "if you feel sick stay home?" When did it turn into "if you have an acquaintance who feels sick, even if you haven't had direct contact with them for months, stay home, go to the hospital, get tested, keep the world safe??" I expect that I and/or my family members WILL get this "cold." I also expect not to visit my elderly grandmother for a while. I plan to go on with my life without panicking and I expect others to do the same! If individuals or families are worried about their PERSONAL health, they should make changes to their OWN lifestyle to address those concerns, not expect to go on as normal while everyone else makes changes to accommodate their concerns.

Rant over.

I feel like you are painting what I said with a much broader brush than my post intended.

Her uncle came from Italy, the country that has 17 million people quarantined, the country with the highest mortality rate. The family had enough concern to have him tested for the virus (which he had). He visited her house. He hugged her dad. She hugs her dad. The virus lives on surfaces for up to 9 days. Did I mention he visited her house? Not months ago, this week.

You are right, if I was as concerned health as I maybe should be, I should have kept my son home. I should have changed my lifestyle. I really didn't expect people to be so relaxed about something that is having such a big impact on the world right now. I will keep my son home now until I find out if he has the virus so I don't put anyone else in danger. My whole family will keep their distance from people. I don't want people to get infected if I can help it. I won't visit my elderly/at risk relatives. I hope people who are unconcerned about infection don't visit them either.

The other family got tested today and in a few days we should know if they have the virus. If they don't then I was concerned for nothing. I still think it was irresponsible. I am glad that when they found out the uncle was positive they took her home.

So far 5,814 people have died from it in a really short period of time. That is not a "cold". This has a much higher mortality rate and an R naught value double the regular flu. I bet Italy wishes it would have taken it a little more serious from the beginning. A 7% mortality rate is no joke.