Coronavirus

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
When the stay at home orders came I thought two things.

First, there is going to be a lot of domestic violence. That's based on experience, anytime families have time off work or extended time at home DV seems to increase. KSL says I was right on that point unfortunately.

The second thought was that we are going to have a mini baby boomer episode at the end of the year.

We'll see if the second one ends up true. Regardless, people, be nice to your family.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
When the stay at home orders came I thought two things.

First, there is going to be a lot of domestic violence. That's based on experience, anytime families have time off work or extended time at home DV seems to increase. KSL says I was right on that point unfortunately.

The second thought was that we are going to have a mini baby boomer episode at the end of the year.

We'll see if the second one ends up true. Regardless, people, be nice to your family.

I am worried about mental health right now. Some of my friends that work in health care have seen an uptick in self harm behavior. I bet we see a rash a suicides before this is over.

Kevin B.

Big hippy

They've already got a name. They're the quaranteens.

I am worried about mental health right now. Some of my friends that work in health care have seen an uptick in self harm behavior. I bet we see a rash a suicides before this is over.

This will be an issue for sure. I'm already seeing signs of depression in my kids that aren't getting outside or seeing their friends as often as they'd like, and my wife is struggling with anxiety over the whole thing (the earthquake didn't help).

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
This is all super interesting. In our family we’ve gone full lock down for my parents (in their 60’s with other high risk factors) and grandparents (in their 90’s). As in, they don’t leave the house (except for exercise), nobody else is allowed in their house. Young family members go to the store for them, get prescriptions, etc. My sister is a single mom and works at a grocery store, and my parents had been in charge of her daughter during working hours. The family has taken turns watching her so to keep my parents further separated from risk.

Meanwhile, the rest of us have kept working, from home where possible, but it does include some being out and about. We take precautions with hand washing, 6’ interpersonal distancing, etc. It seems like there can be an acceptable balance beyond broad spectrum locking down and business as usual.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My daughters birthday is in a few days and she is stressing hard about it. It is a small thing in the grand scheme, but big to a 10 year old. I am going to try to set up a google meet for her friends or at least family to sing her happy b-day.

We all get out in the yard and work, play basketball, catch, etc. I am grateful to live in a less populous place than the big cities. I would be brutal in a high density apartment now.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Overall, I believe we will band together as the dust settles and come out more prepared and better for it.

There is no doubt that this is a watershed moment in world history (I hope you are all keeping journals). After this is over, the world community will evaluate what has happened and determine how we prepare for the next such event. I see references over and over to WWII now a days, and thats apt in that that was the last truly global cataclysm. In many ways, this is even more so in the sense that the virus has no respect for borders or who it targets.

After WWII the major actors on the world stage decided that physical security was the name of the game going forward, so you had the establishment of the UN, Security Council, NATO, the Warsaw Pact, SEATO, ANZUS, etc; all in an attempt to make sure that what happened after WWI didn't happen again. We were bound and determine to collaborate to see that a global conflict could be avoided.

I suspect that after this is over, you're going to see a demand for medical security going forward. Countries will start collaborating in unprecedented fashion regarding virology, bacteriology, medical device manufacturing, interchangeability for equipment, etc. It will be interesting to watch and see how this happens.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
As far as mental health goes I thought it was interesting that I got a call from U of U health this morning from a social worker. He said they are calling patients that are currently prescribed meds for anxiety and depression (that me!) and wanted to check up to see how we were doing.

I feel more anxious since I've been staying home. The earthquake really woke up that anxiety and I couldn't calm down all day. There were a few days I didn't feel like doing anything at all, even going out to the shop, and my wife was worried about me enough to say something. I got through it well enough though and spent some time the last couple days out working on some stuff which REALLY helps me and I'm feeling better. The anxiety is higher than "normal" but I feel like I'm coping as good as I can. Its times like these that I'm really grateful to have hobbies that help me relax.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
It really helps me to get out in the sun. Just going outside and puttering around the yard or working in the garage is a huge benefit to my mental health right now.

I'm going to go for a bike ride later. Probably not across town to any MTB trails, but it'll be enough to just pedal around the roads and get my heart rate up and feel some wind in my face.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
My daughters birthday is in a few days and she is stressing hard about it. It is a small thing in the grand scheme, but big to a 10 year old. I am going to try to set up a google meet for her friends or at least family to sing her happy b-day.

We all get out in the yard and work, play basketball, catch, etc. I am grateful to live in a less populous place than the big cities. I would be brutal in a high density apartment now.

I feel bad for her. She's at such a sensitive age when it comes to social stuff, I'm sure it's rough for her to have a birthday and no friends to hang with. I know it's bugging Ian, and there's not much I can do about it and it sucks.

I am grateful to live in a less populous place than the big cities. I would be brutal in a high density apartment now.

^^This. I feel pretty safe in my community, whether I am out taking a walk or whatever. I have been getting a fair amount of motorcycle riding in. I feel like the only risk there is at the gas station.

I visit my 87 yo mother in Murray at least once a week to take care of her groceries and such. I can see this being cooped up taking a toll on her. I feel a bit nervous walking into her apartment/condo building. It likely has 1000 apartments. My thought is that at least a couple of the residents have to be infected, knowingly or otherwise, and they all use the same keypad, front door handle, and elevator buttons. I'm not a germaphobe by any means, but I carry sanitizing wipes with me there and wash hands on the way in and out. I can't imagine living in a big city right now. In that kind of place, it would be almost impossible to eliminate contact with others.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Annual Flu numbers are available from the CDC

I am not an epidemiologist, but I will venture to say that I know more than the average bear about economics and the financial system (yes I have a degree in economics, and accounting, and finance not that you need them to understand this). I am surprised that some keep using the "novel" but also claim that we will develop natural immunity. As I understand it the virus contains RNA from animals, not humans and that is why it is particularly devastating to humans. The moment its RNA mutates to human it becomes a victim of our immune systems and is no longer a going concern. Darwinism tells us that that mutation to human RNA would not be carried forward in the virus.

I can explain to you in great detail how this catastrophically collapses the economy of the world. Perhaps most folks are blissfully ignorant of economics and finance, I am far more afraid of this outcome. Are we to a total collapse yet? I think that if we could get back to work by the end of April with no more disruption we can pull out of this in relatively short order. If this thing drags on for 6 months people will suffer in ways we cant yet imagine, I am talking mass starvation and a world you wont believe possible.

All the Trump haters that can't get over themselves keep criticizing everything that he does but I bet he has the best epidemiologists and economists available ANYWHERE giving him advice right now. I would say his decisions are far more informed than anything you or I are privy to, maybe it's worth listening to what he has to say, he might just know something.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Annual Flu numbers are available from the CDC
That is were I was looking. I found no 85k number. Not that is matter a ton I am sure the numbers at not far off. Just trying to see what I am missing. It seems like there a really wide variation in numbers people are using which also makes this whole discussion hard.

Looks like we are all looking at it from the perspective of things we have more experience in. You in accounting and me in sciences.

6 months to mass starvations and a world we can’t imagine. That is a scary thing to think about. I don’t think it is impossible. Although, many places around the world are living this way already. I would love to read your in depth explanation of the economic collapse. Also, links to some articles. I will even read the footnotes:). I currently don’t have a good enough grasp of economics to make an informed decision. I feel I do have enough background knowledge to understand the virology.

I agree trump has a group of great people working around him. I believe he is handling this the way he believes is best. Which currently says stay home. Avoid groups. Etc. the quarantine many are upset by was put in place by Trump. Maybe they should listen to him. He will probably lift the restrictions sooner than I agree with, but I am sure his team is more informed than me.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Looks like that's what it is.

I dunno, it honestly wasn't even that far... It was stay home unless you need to go somewhere. Work from home if you are able to do so....

It was left open ended in that County Health Depts can raise restrictions if they feel the need.

But as of now there is no 'essential businesses only' directive.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like that's what it is.

Our 'Stay at Home' order was put in place yesterday, today we ran into town and went to Home Depot, got some Tacos at our fav Mexican joint (drive thru only), etc. The mall is closed, lots of empty stores but it seems like a good balance for keeping people at home. There was a MASSIVE rush on the liquor and marijuana stores when this rolled out, so the Governor had to modify the order and call them essential, too. :rofl:

The local Sheriff & PD had to clarify that the borders were still open, they weren't stopping people driving around town and said that they're assuming that anyone out & about was performing necessary business.