Coronavirus

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I understand its selfish of me to want my work schedule to remain the same for another month but I've loved working 0600-1000 then to be able to head home and work on my yard or other projects or just take a nap while my kid watches a PBS kids show or two. I'm expecting top soil this week and might be ready for sod by the end of next week. Without 'rona this wouldn't have been possible.

The other side is my wife is 32 weeks pregnant and due July 4. I haven't taken any PTO since December and my knee surgery so when the baby comes I'll have a mess of time I can take off to be home with them.

Tonkaman

I understand its selfish of me to want my work schedule to remain the same for another month but I've loved working 0600-1000 then to be able to head home and work on my yard or other projects or just take a nap while my kid watches a PBS kids show or two. I'm expecting top soil this week and might be ready for sod by the end of next week. Without 'rona this wouldn't have been possible.

The other side is my wife is 32 weeks pregnant and due July 4. I haven't taken any PTO since December and my knee surgery so when the baby comes I'll have a mess of time I can take off to be home with them.
I totally get it. I haven’t worked since February 5th, and honestly I’ve starting to enjoy my time at home. Going back to working is going to be kinda rough!

Houndoc

This is playing out exactly how I was afraid it would.

The direct impact of the disease has been relatively minor in most of our lives, so most people fail to recognize the success of the public health precautions that have been implemented. Conspiracy theories I guess are easier to believe than doctors and scientists.

But even at that as of this morning the US is at over 57,000 COVID-related deaths (and I don't want to hear the 'they aren't really COVID' B.S. Public health officials classify deaths as COVID if, even with other underlying problems, the person most likely would not have died when they did had they not been infected.)

That is not a small number! In roughly 6 weeks the number of deaths is approaching the total for the worst flu season in recent years and equal to about 18 months of auto fatalities.

Yes, we need to start taking steps to allow people to get back to work in smart and safe ways but the continued down playing of the pandemic at this point is rather exasperating.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The direct impact of the disease has been relatively minor in most of our lives, so most people fail to recognize the success of the public health precautions that have been implemented. Conspiracy theories I guess are easier to believe than doctors and scientists.

But even at that as of this morning the US is at over 57,000 COVID-related deaths (and I don't want to hear the 'they aren't really COVID' B.S. Public health officials classify deaths as COVID if, even with other underlying problems, the person most likely would not have died when they did had they not been infected.)

The avenue for doing exactly what those pesky science-denying conspiracy theorists are saying, is there..... USA Today fact check:

Also this.... If PA is reclassifying, is it possible NY, NJ and many other states could do the same?
DEATH TOLL SLASHED
The Pennsylvania Department of Health slashed the state’s COVID-19 death toll on Thursday by 201, saying probable deaths it had previously included in the count were eliminated after further investigation.
The overall death toll now stands at 1,421, down from 1,622 reported a day earlier.
The number of deaths confirmed by a positive virus test actually rose overnight by 69, to 1,394. But Levine said Thursday that 270 probable deaths that had been added to the death toll in recent days have been removed after further investigation.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Dr Erickson on FOX the other day.... Youtube literally pulled their press release video in the time that this piece was airing on FOX because they deem it goes against official talking points of COVID-19... Essentially, they (YoutTube) labelled it as 'fake news'.

POR

I really feel this is a blame tool for the impending failing us economy, also I think at the end of this, the gap between middle class and wealthy will be so far separate that financial wealth will be almost unattainable for the common man. All i keep hearing is things will be different after all this. In my state most have remained working except minimum wage -ish jobs and they banned all forms of recreation. That makes no sense to me. I can work but can't go to the woods or go fishing on a boat in a lake.... I can stand in line at home depot, but Frank's little hardware store had to shut down.. we are loosing our freedoms with scare tactics from our government.. makes me sick to see all the rich people on social media bragging about their government money paying for their business to run.. meanwhile non rich people are selling their possessions to survive.. it's like Mr rich man why don't you sell your fancy race car or boat to survive and keep your business afloat.. it really is a terrible time in history to be an American.. our nation is going to hell in a handbasket and soon will be back under the queen of England's control.. lol that's my rant hahaha

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
That is not a small number! In roughly 6 weeks the number of deaths is approaching the total for the worst flu season in recent years and equal to about 18 months of auto fatalities.

More fun numbers from the CDC

In 2017 there were 19,510 homicides in the US
Over 38,000 people die annually from car accidents
1 person dies every 37 seconds from heart disease.
Over 48,000 people commit suicide annually. Think that number may be higher this year?
51,000 from kidney disease
Good old school flu over 59,000
Almost 85,000 people a year from diabetes? Shouldn't we close down all the fast food restaurants and outlaw Twinkies?
122,000 from Alzheimer's
Do we need to continue?

Also not small numbers, why don't we all just stay inside all the time?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
makes me sick to see all the rich people on social media bragging about their government money paying for their business to run.. meanwhile non rich people are selling their possessions to survive..

As a poor person who's businesses are currently running off of government money, I think the small guys had just as much access to that money as anyone else. If you aren't proactive and able to get your applications finished and into a banker like your business/livelihood depends on it, then what do you want? The government to do it for you? I don't feel super bad for businesses that drug their feet and got left out. Adapt to survive.

As for home depot vs mom and pop hardware store... I mean it's the same uphill battle they were fighting before. But a business like home depot that employs tens of thousands of employees stands to kill a lot of jobs if they shut down. Maybe the government favors them disproportionately, but I don't think I'd assume it is in some vile and evil power play. They simply need large business to keep large numbers of people employed gainfully wherever possible.

As much as I don't like it, I don't expect the government to make well prepared and well managed companies burn up all of that savings while their lesser prepared competitors get the handouts. If the strong companies come out of this weak, and the weak companies come out stronger, that's likely going to create more problems down the road.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think the small guys had just as much access to that money as anyone else. If you aren't proactive and able to get your applications finished and into a banker like your business/livelihood depends on it, then what do you want? The government to do it for you? I don't feel super bad for businesses that drug their feet and got left out. Adapt to survive.

Agreed. I work for a bank and last I heard we've booked something like $2B in SBA loans since they were announced. Most of our clientele are VC's, tech start-up's, healthcare sciences and wine. The point is the programs are definitely out there...

POR

As a poor person who's businesses are currently running off of government money, I think the small guys had just as much access to that money as anyone else. If you aren't proactive and able to get your applications finished and into a banker like your business/livelihood depends on it, then what do you want? The government to do it for you? I don't feel super bad for businesses that drug their feet and got left out. Adapt to survive.

As for home depot vs mom and pop hardware store... I mean it's the same uphill battle they were fighting before. But a business like home depot that employs tens of thousands of employees stands to kill a lot of jobs if they shut down. Maybe the government favors them disproportionately, but I don't think I'd assume it is in some vile and evil power play. They simply need large business to keep large numbers of people employed gainfully wherever possible.

As much as I don't like it, I don't expect the government to make well prepared and well managed companies burn up all of that savings while their lesser prepared competitors get the handouts. If the strong companies come out of this weak, and the weak companies come out stronger, that's likely going to create more problems down the road.

Maybe i wasn't clear on my thoughts.. and I'm sure my states problems are different from others.. when those loans were rolled out our banks shut the programs down after a couple days and weren't allowing any more applicants. Our system was severely overloaded and still is so I'm sure that contributed. Of people I know that are small business owners didn't qualify, or got denied for various reasons.. I'm seeing larger small company's getting their loans now and now their backpaying laid off workers that they weren't supposed to lay off to meet the loan requirements. I dont think that's right either.. My opinion is based on what I'm seeing and hearing personally so take that with a grain of salt. I understand that home depot employs a bunch of workers but i dont have a home depot or Lowes within an 1 1/2 hrs of my town and our hardware store was deemed nonessential So was forced to shut down (I see a problem with that) my thoughts are and sorry if this rubs you the wrong way but this is welfare for upper middle class regardless if its only a short time. Taxes that will pay for all these loans will be spread across the board to people who didn't take any loans just lime they tax us for poor people welfare.. I feel if you run a healthy company and live within your means you should survive and not need government money..

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was funded with in 36 hours of the first PPP cycle for my brewery. My banker at First Utah was literally corresponding with me at almost midnight saturday and sunday night. I'm small potatoes, so no favoritism.

I applied the same time for my other business, and we did it through zions where our accounts are held. It took 2 weeks and we barely snuck in. So...I mean...I guess you could be with a shitty bank that didn't have their act together. I have some compassion for that.

Last edited: