Coronavirus

xjtony

I've got to go get my first shot Friday. Since I had a positive infection at the end of May they wouldn't give me the vaccine until now (3 months). I've lived and traveled all over the world and been in the military so I'm already pumped full of everything they can think of, so it doesn't really bother me. My wife on the other hand flips out if someone even mentions a vaccine.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
"Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that 99.999% of fully vaccinated Americans did not experience a breakthrough COVID-19 case that led to hospitalization or death, as I wrote for the Deseret News."
I'm looking for a similar data statement referencing hospitalization or death from second time covid patients who are unvaccinated. Is it less than "99.999%"? If that percentage is true for vaccinated covid patients then it is remarkable.

So as far as corporate responses go, I like Delta's approach to encourage employee vaccination. Instead of mandating it, they will begin charging unvaccinated employees $200 more per month in health insurance. Their statement is that the hospitalization of unvaccinated employees over the last several months has averaged 50k each.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So as far as corporate responses go, I like Delta's approach to encourage employee vaccination. Instead of mandating it, they will begin charging unvaccinated employees $200 more per month in health insurance. Their statement is that the hospitalization of unvaccinated employees over the last several months has averaged 50k each.

This seems like a good response to me. Cut and dried (I'm sure someone will figure out a way to make it "fuzzy")

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I saw that on the news but this may go against what is written in the cares act about charging people more based on health risks. I cannot remember the specific wording used in the news report and I am sure it will end up in court if they go down this road.

I saw that on the news but this may go against what is written in the cares act about charging people more based on health risks. I cannot remember the specific wording used in the news report and I am sure it will end up in court if they go down this road.
It will be interesting if they can apply the "health risks" clause to elective choices going against generally accepted health care recommendations. I guess they could just restructure it and charge everyone $200 more and then offer a $200 credit to those who take the recommended choice, saving the company money - similar to how my company rewards me with credits to my HSA for doing other healthy things. Either way, allows us all to navigate the new normal and the anti-vaxxers to put their money where their mouth is.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I struggle with stuff like this, I'd probably pay the $200 while I looked for another job. I just don't trust the vaccines yet. My fully vaccinated boss had covid last week. I've had 2 co-workers that have been vaccinated wind up in the hospital with heart problems. My confidence in the vaccine is lacking. I've heard the propaganda, It makes the covid not as bad, people on their death beds wishing they had got the shots, drama, drama, all the cool kids are doing it. I'll pay my $200 and start looking.

Let's just say I go in and get the vaccines, I think all 3 manufacturers are talking boosters, some as frequently as every 6 months. Is HR going to become the vaccination club where their entire job is going to become making sure everyone has had their boosters? What about family members that haven't been vaccinated? What about employees that get insurance through a spouse? Did Delta require knowledge about any vaccination status prior to this change? Medical exemption? I'd document everything, wait a few years for some science to actually find the light and decide then with a lawyer what my options are.

Corban_White

I'm totally OK with this kind of approach.... As long as it can also be applied to other high risk factors like smoking, not wearing the "proper" safety gear while participating in __________ activity, simply participating in higher risk activities like skydiving etc, speeding, owning guns, eating fast food, not exercising enough, and on and on and on.

It's clearly not about the money from claims or it would have been applied to smoking years ago.

Trate D

It will be interesting if they can apply the "health risks" clause to elective choices going against generally accepted health care recommendations. I guess they could just restructure it and charge everyone $200 more and then offer a $200 credit to those who take the recommended choice, saving the company money - similar to how my company rewards me with credits to my HSA for doing other healthy things. Either way, allows us all to navigate the new normal and the anti-vaxxers to put their money where their mouth is.
The term new normal is the worst. It’s admitting that you are ready and willing to give up freedoms for a small sense of security. I can’t wrap my head why anyone on either side of the fence would be ok with a mandated shot from a 99% survival rate sickness. I am 100% ok with someone wanting it, and 100% ok with another person not wanting it. That’s the way it should be.

I will absolutely quit my job if it becomes an issue! One of my sisters in-laws just gave up an extremely well paying job with Hasbro toys over it. It seems to be that everywhere has issues hiring decent help these days. Company’s alienate the workforce then try to hire to fill those gaps seems like a bad move.

Also the let the “anti-vaxxers putting their money where their mouth is.” comment is interesting to me. I guess I am lumped into this category (Although I feel I shouldn’t be. I am not anti-vaxx, I am pro freedom of choice.) I have never once wished financial stress or medical issues to a person who has chosen to be vaxxed.I honestly hope it’s what they say it is and everyone will be fine. But on the other hand it seems to be normal to hear it being said to people who have chosen not to be....

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This sums up my feelings about this approach:

IMG_6882.jpeg

Pike2350

The term new normal is the worst. It’s admitting that you are ready and willing to give up freedoms for a small sense of security. I can’t wrap my head why anyone on either side of the fence would be ok with a mandated shot from a 99% survival rate sickness. I am 100% ok with someone wanting it, and 100% ok with another person not wanting it. That’s the way it should be.

I will absolutely quit my job if it becomes an issue! One of my sisters in-laws just gave up an extremely well paying job with Hasbro toys over it. It seems to be that everywhere has issues hiring decent help these days. Company’s alienate the workforce then try to hire to fill those gaps seems like a bad move.

Also the let the “anti-vaxxers putting their money where their mouth is.” comment is interesting to me. I guess I am lumped into this category (Although I feel I shouldn’t be. I am not anti-vaxx, I am pro freedom of choice.) I have never once wished financial stress or medical issues to a person who has chosen to be vaxxed.I honestly hope it’s what they say it is and everyone will be fine. But on the other hand it seems to be normal to hear it being said to people who have chosen not to be....
I agree with it being a choice to get vax'd....I also agree with incentivising getting it through cheaper insurance(increase in less healthy behaviors).

HOWEVER. I am kind of getting sick of people who choose not to get the vaccine bringing up the survival rate. A vaccine isn't just about survival. It is very much about minimizing the sickness on an individual (with the hope if eradicating the disease eventually) the hospital utilization rate for this disease is higher then many. It is also highly contagious. Think about all of the ICU beds are now being taken by people that could have very likely prevented being hospitalized by getting a vaccine. While it wouldn't keep all of the people out of the hospital, it certainly would help ease the high demand on hospitals that may very well mean that hospital may not be available for other purposes.

I believe everyone has the choice..but stop focusing on the survivability rate. With the new variant I have noticed much higher frequency of people under 65 being listed in the daily deaths....but also the rate at which the hospitals are now dealing with people that could have very well not been there in the first place is starting to get maddening.

If we didn't have a highly contagious disease that caused hospitalizations on such a high(ish) percent going around it may be different...but ignoring the risk posed not only to you, but to others(that may not have a hospital bed to be treated) it isn't only about hospitalizations.

In writing this I now feel that maybe insurance shouldn't be higher for unvax'd people....however maybe they shouldn't cover your full hospital visit if you aren't. Maybe that's a better "put your money where your mouth is" scenario

I knew this topic would bring a storm of opinions, and honestly, that is good to the extent that it can be reasonably discussed without personal attacks. On the discomfort with the term new normal, I think it is a bit Pollyanna to think that somehow the world is going to go back to the way is was after the events of the last 2 years. I'm not saying that anyone's core principles or beliefs should change, but there are some fundamental things about our society, especially the worldwide society, that will likely never be the same.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I knew this topic would bring a storm of opinions, and honestly, that is good to the extent that it can be reasonably discussed without personal attacks. On the discomfort with the term new normal, I think it is a bit Pollyanna to think that somehow the world is going to go back to the way is was after the events of the last 2 years. I'm not saying that anyone's core principles or beliefs should change, but there are some fundamental things about our society, especially the worldwide society, that will likely never be the same.
I hope you didn't think I was attacking you by any means. I just want to point out the blatant double standards being thrown around.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I agree with it being a choice to get vax'd....I also agree with incentivising getting it through cheaper insurance(increase in less healthy behaviors).

HOWEVER. I am kind of getting sick of people who choose not to get the vaccine bringing up the survival rate. A vaccine isn't just about survival. It is very much about minimizing the sickness on an individual (with the hope if eradicating the disease eventually) the hospital utilization rate for this disease is higher then many. It is also highly contagious. Think about all of the ICU beds are now being taken by people that could have very likely prevented being hospitalized by getting a vaccine. While it wouldn't keep all of the people out of the hospital, it certainly would help ease the high demand on hospitals that may very well mean that hospital may not be available for other purposes.

I believe everyone has the choice..but stop focusing on the survivability rate. With the new variant I have noticed much higher frequency of people under 65 being listed in the daily deaths....but also the rate at which the hospitals are now dealing with people that could have very well not been there in the first place is starting to get maddening.

If we didn't have a highly contagious disease that caused hospitalizations on such a high(ish) percent going around it may be different...but ignoring the risk posed not only to you, but to others(that may not have a hospital bed to be treated) it isn't only about hospitalizations.

In writing this I now feel that maybe insurance shouldn't be higher for unvax'd people....however maybe they shouldn't cover your full hospital visit if you aren't. Maybe that's a better "put your money where your mouth is" scenario
So people who wheel should pay for their hospital stay? There is no reason for anyone to be in an er because of a wheeling accident. It's totally preventable. This is a slippery slope.
I think we all group pay into many things willingly to allow others freedom but reduce our personal liability.