General Tech Cory's single seat selfish buggy

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Running out of parts fast now. Looking to pick up a front chev or good dodge kingpin 60 this weekend. anyone?????

progress tonight. 1.75" dom, 3' wide, 5' 4" to top, and 21" under belly.
sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures. my shop is tiny and has several low lights.Photo350.jpgPhoto351.jpgPhoto352.jpgPhoto353.jpgPhoto354.jpg

Last edited:

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Your moving so fast, This build will be ready in no time, good work!

Thanks a lot. The fabbing part I really enjoy and is relatively easy for me. Its the small tedious thinks I hate and slow me down. I will be waiting on parts real soon.

The first goal of mine is to get into a roller first so can manipulate it around my tiny shop and get a good side view from outside.

crosbike

looks good. you should wait a couple weeks so we can turn down all the hubs at the same time....my build will be farther along soon...

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
looks good. you should wait a couple weeks so we can turn down all the hubs at the same time....my build will be farther along soon...

My buddie jake needs his done this weekend and im unsure if im getting that drw 60. Ima shop around the yards before i drive to SL,UT.

P.S. Wheres your thread so i can talk shit:greg:

LT.

Running out of parts fast now. Looking to pick up a front chev or good dodge kingpin 60 this weekend. anyone?????

If you have the choice use a chevy 60 instead of a dodge 60. The internals are all the same and so are the knuckles but, the dodge frames are wider. This makes the perches further out board. What this means is the diff casting is moved further out board thus, making the short side axle tube even shorter. Making link suspensions takes room and you run out of it real fast on the shorter dodge front axle. I hope this makes sense and helps.

LT.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If you have the choice use a chevy 60 instead of a dodge 60. The internals are all the same and so are the knuckles but, the dodge frames are wider. This makes the perches further out board. What this means is the diff casting is moved further out board thus, making the short side axle tube even shorter. Making link suspensions takes room and you run out of it real fast on the shorter dodge front axle. I hope this makes sense and helps.

LT.

It does make it harder to mount links but it also gets the differential closer to the tire wich is worth the headache in my opinion, Less likely to get hung up on it

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor

LT.

I was thinking since it would be flipped to a high pinion(rear engine)I would be able to sling the links where I wanted them easier.

looks like im picking up a drw chevy one locally for a good deal.

Thanks for the input.

LT.

It does make it harder to mount links but it also gets the differential closer to the tire wich is worth the headache in my opinion, Less likely to get hung up on it

I was thinking since it would be flipped to a high pinion(rear engine)I would be able to sling the links where I wanted them easier.

looks like im picking up a drw chevy one locally for a good deal.

Thanks for the input.

I had never thought about trying to get the diff closer to the tire. Hmmm, something new to think about. Thank you for the idea.

When I built and then had built the front four link on my beater it was so frustrating trying to get all the link tabs mounted on the short side dodge 60. The links are solid now but, the first few tries it was a house of cards. Link tab upon link tab. Not sturdy the way I had it. After I paid someone else to fix my disaster it is much better now.

LT.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I ended up picking up a chev drw 60 from the local junk yard for a great deal today. We got it all stripped and am cutting the brackets and C's now.
I will post more pics when I have something to show.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Feels like a productive day. Found a 60 locally and cheap, tore it down and chromed it up, got the long side c off for shorting it, welded up the diff cover, and beat every one at pool at the bar. :greg:

pics.Photo368.jpgPhoto379.jpgPhoto380.jpgPhoto381.jpgPhoto383.jpgPhoto385.jpgPhoto386.jpgPhoto389.jpg

Last edited:

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Today the front 60 beat me.. .

I honed out the C I removed yesterday so I can beat it on and off with a mallet. worked great.

Since I'm not shorting the other side it meant I had to save the tube and rather than trying to twist it we figured it would be easier to remove it, hone, and slide it back on where I wanted it. I torched the weld off the c, then torched it again, heated and beat, then pressed it, torched the weld again, pressed and heated it some more, and it still would not come off. I'm sure the weld Is cut all the way thru.

Any one ever pressed these off before? was it a pita?:confused:

When I did the other side I cut a slit in the tube to relieve the press fit but cant do this on this side.

Thinking of turning the hubs at work tomorrow so I might take it and throw it in our 100TON press.

My home made press just has a 20T harbor freight bottle jack (for now).

P.S. glad I made a huge press.:cool:Photo391.jpg20140308_203044.jpgPhoto392.jpg

Last edited:

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
After letting the 60 beat me I started working on getting the top of the chassis braced. I had to get tricky with the handy man jack during fit up to get some tight nodes. I will add a few more bent tube gussets when I get some more 1" tube.20140308_221353.jpg20140308_221259.jpeg20140308_214607.jpeg20140308_213503.jpg20140308_213447.jpeg20140308_213424.jpeg20140308_213415.jpeg20140308_200634.jpgPhoto398.jpgPhoto396.jpg

Last edited:

UFAB

Cold forming/cutting definately has its advantages.

If ya need some axle tube press time, let me know.

Looking good

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Sunday I went to my work and cleaned the 60s hubs, bearings, and spindles. The 60 would not fit in my works 100ton press so we squeezed it into the smaller worn out 40 ton. We heated the piss out of it with a rose bud and ran water down the tube before the c would slide off. What a pita!! I also ruff cut the roof and mounted it that day.

Since I picked up a drw 60 I will be converting it to srw. last night I plazed off the old wm flange and plazed and turned some new flanges out of 1/4" that I will weld to rotor flange so my wheel has something flat to pinch to.Photo403.jpgPhoto404.jpgPhoto405.jpgPhoto413.jpgPhoto414.jpgPhoto415.jpgPhoto416.jpg

Last edited:

UFAB

Ya. The lathe cleans those hubs up nicely. Great work at it with what ya got. Ambition for sure.

My 80 ton makes one hell of a noise pushing tube out of used inner Cs. Just cut behind weld on band saw and press.

Years back I had to use a sawzall to cut slits in the tube to weaken it and plaz gouges out to get it seperate from inner C. From a labor perspective.. Buy new..

LOL

Sweat equity axles have character and respect.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2