could anyone build a xover steering kit for a toyota?

2BACJ

SS
Hey, my sister wants to sell her 87 4runner. I was thinkin of sellin my 90, buying hers, and using the remaining money to do a SAS and a couple of other doodads. I need to find someone that can build me a crossover steering kit though if I do do this. Thanks

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Iv'e done it. It's kind a pain. I recomend buying parts here and there. get a x-over arm, or.......wiat!!! :D here is a shot of my home built rockstomper system...

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Originally posted by 2BACJ
Hey, my sister wants to sell her 87 4runner. I was thinkin of sellin my 90, buying hers, and using the remaining money to do a SAS and a couple of other doodads. I need to find someone that can build me a crossover steering kit though if I do do this. Thanks

There are several local shops that can do this type of work. JR at Ms. Conception Motorsports can do it and he's very reasonable on price (You can have a head start by buying Sky's buddies stuff and taking the parts to JR for install and finish work). You can reach JR at 972-9232 or by email at ehley@wasatch.com

You could also take it to Matt at Rocky Mountain High (RMH) 4x4. He's great at all kinds of fabricating and stuff as well. He's located in Orem and his number is 224-2266

I get nothing out of this. I'm just referring you to shops I know will give you a fair deal and will take care of you. They do good work and there are many, many people out there who are very happy with them.

Scott

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Oh yeah - forgot......
Rockstomper is a good shop as well. They specialize in Toyota's and can help you out a lot too. They're not really local but are located in Colorado (I think). They have a website you can go to for their contact info:

http://www.rockstomper.com

I think that's it. If not just go to a search engine (google) and type in Rockstomper. You should be able to find it no problem.

Scott

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I also do run scotts (rockstomper) rock rods. If you are bent to go local then advance 4wd does x-over too. they use thin (stock0 tube to do the x-over and does not use beefier components. All-pro or rock stomper does. I ran heims and hardened R&Lhand rods in my .25 tube. The x-over arm is the really hard part in the setup. Pun intended. I literally caught a drill press on fire (meltdown due to heat) and went through two grinding wheels to cut the arm off to fab up the flip. If you bought the pass side arm the rest is relatively easy.

2BACJ

SS
Hey, thanks a ton. I just found a kit out my way that a guy is selling. I'm checkin it out today. Hey Skye, I'd like your opinion, you being a toyotaholic and all. What would you do, keep the 90 4runner, V6 and 5speed, which is a nice vehicle and a good platform for a project. Or, sell it, buy my sisters 87 4runner, which is a 4cyl and an automatic, and have a thousand dollars left over to do whatever I want to it. Maybe that is a very stupid question, but I'd like your opinion. Thanks again, and later.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
toy auto is a bad ju ju thing. just not worth it to me. I think also that it is harder to get a marlin on an auto but can't remember. the 87 the top removes and is easier to find cheeper parts. the 90 is cioled rear and so you must cut that out and convert, also IFS must be cut out and converted. i'd guess 4k for both to be done profesionally or about 2k if you do it. The 90 is a cooshier ride on the inside but it hurts more to damage it wheelin. I really don't like the body lines on the newer runners, but thats me. It really is a personal opinion. You also need to look into what it will take to get either one ready to play the right way.
Did that help :D

Box Rocket

bored
I'm getting in way late on this and hopefully no one will mind but I thought I'd drop my $.02 into the bucket on this.

My truck was an '85 so I didn't have to worry about the SAS end of things but I have to say that it was worth EVERY penny to get the hysteer ket that I got from Marlin. You'll get the steering arms that are beefy and it will also come with his Marlink tire rod and drag link that are much beefier than stock. I chose to use the FJ80 rod ends versus the heims but you have either option. The other good thing is that with either truck, you've already got the IFS box etc that you don't have to deal with like I did with mine.

My vote for the steering is to go Hysteer and I loved the service I got from Marlin. There are cheaper ways to do it, but like I said it was worth every penny.

On a side note...IMNSHO stay away from Advanced 4WD here in town. I took my FJ40 to them a couple of times years ago and both times it came back with some scary problems and I've seen too much of that on other trucks since then too. I just don't trust 'em.

Here's the Marlin Hysteer on my truck.
hysteer.jpg

Here's the IFS box that I swapped to.
IFSbox.jpg

And here's a shot of the whole truck.
minitruck.jpg

Hope that helps.:)

Box Rocket

bored
That's how my plates came from the DMV. :rolleyes:

I did sell the truck, but I thought the information applied anyway. The guy that bought it from me, is probably selling it and I think I'm gonna buy it back.