Couple new moab pics

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Got back from Moab. Only have a couple of pics, I was leading the trail so I didn't get much camera time.

On Metal Masher, I gave Rock Chucker a whirl--couldn't quite get up that damn second ledge.
standard.jpg

Also on MM, broke my frameside front tracbar bolt (big grade 8 bitch) on Widow maker. I did make it to the top before I figured out what the bang was. All 5 grands made it un-aided, but the 3 built SWB rigs TJ, YJ, CJ-7 all had to be winched. :D

Cody

Last edited:

Belly Dragger

Man I want that obstacle. I first tried it at Crawloween. This is as far as I could make it without the help of the Isuzu Tug Team. Going up is hard and only 4 out of 75 Jeeps can make the obstacle during EJS. Going down on the other hand has some good pucker factor.

I've done some mods and stretched the wheelbase to a little over 100" . Rock Chucker is mine this year.

MVC-700F.jpg

Dsc00158.jpg

And going down...

MVC-713F.jpg

MVC-714F.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
good pics. If and when I get a locker, I'll make it. I just didn't want to force it.

Thats crazy you came back down. There is a way around you know (a little challenging, but not as crazy as coming down the way you go up).

Cody

Caleb

Belly Dragger, We all know you haven't done any mods and are just good a photochooping those coilovers:D:D:D I want to see some pics of your rig in action now

Belly Dragger

Originally posted by supergper
Belly Dragger, We all know you haven't done any mods and are just good a photochooping those coilovers:D:D:D I want to see some pics of your rig in action now
Umm, well umm, it's like this you see, umm....

It's supposed to be done next week. (finally!) Believe me when it hits the trail I will show off the pictures like a proud papa. :D

Belly Dragger

Originally posted by GroceryGetter
Also on MM, broke my frameside front tracbar bolt (big grade 8 bitch) on Widow maker. I did make it to the top before I figured out what the bang was. All 5 grands made it un-aided, but the 3 built SWB rigs TJ, YJ, CJ-7 all had to be winched. :D
How bad has Widowmaker gotten. Last time I was there it was severly undercut. There was a 3'+ dugout right in front making momentum approaches somewhat difficult.

The only vehicles I've seen make Widowmaker was with some serious stomping on the silly pedal. I've been winched up once and been the wincher much more times by taking the end-around to get on top.

Yeah I know about the way around to not have to go down Rock Chucker. Maybe this year I'll make it and just go around.

Metal Masher and Behind the Rocks are two of my more favorite trails in Moab. I like the little play place at Mother-In-Law hill.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Widow maker isn't bad. I guess it's still undercut, as you'd be suicidal to get a run at it. As long as you stay to the right and have a good spotter getting you over the second ledge. If you start to hop to the right it gets a little scary as teh far right is a vertical wall and you wouldn't want to back down that. It's a little more intimidating than it is difficult---that is if you have the wheelbase for it. 108" helps out.

Cody

Box Rocket

bored
Metal Masher is a cool trail. I think Rock Chucker and Widow Maker are both a different story when you've got wheelbase. The short wheelbases seem to have more trouble on both, especially Widowmaker. Last time I saw widowmaker it was looking very eroded at the base, the ledge just gets bigger every year. Several people have told me they think its more difficult than the Dump Bump. The people that I've seen make Widowmaker used some judicious use of the "silly pedal." Last year at Cruise Moab a 4Runner in our group was the only one to make it on his own and he had the RPMs pegged.

This was my truck on widow maker a couple of years ago before bodywork and drivetrain swap. Just a bit of pucker.:)

wdwmkr2.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think for SWB, the stupid pedal is necessary. All the grands in our group went up it nice and slow and none of the SWB's made it. On another note, both the grands that tried Rock Chucker couldn't do it, and both the CJ and YJ made it. Lockers may have had something to do with that. ;)