Covering the Work Bench

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
What thickness of steel are you guys covering you bench with? I was thinking about 16 gage...

James what did you use?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Shawn said:
What thickness of steel are you guys covering you bench with? I was thinking about 16 gage...

James what did you use?

I used 14 guage.

it is great and easy to clean. just don't do any major hammering.

I can tack weld stuff to it when I am mocking something up, and then just grind the tacks off.

I plan on making a table/portable welding cart with a 1/4 to 3/8 thick top on it, but I haven't decided yet.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
James K said:
brand new stuff cut to fit from wasatch. it wasn't bad maybe 100.00 with all the cutting and material.
Ya, a 4x8 sheet of 16 gage was $65.00....I didn't ask about the bends and cuts.
My fist bench is 12'x30".... could get costly with 3 more to go.... :eek:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Shawn said:

yeah, I forgot steel has gone up alot this year. I did mine last october.

I only had them cut it. I then welded the lip on myself, kinda time consuming though but, I didn't want to burn the underlayment to bad.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
Just buy the 4x8 sheet and get that plasma you have been drooling over. I think Wasatch charges like $15 per cut. James didn't bend his over.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
Just buy the 4x8 sheet and get that plasma you have been drooling over. I think Wasatch charges like $15 per cut. James didn't bend his over.
The plasma is getting close... ;) If the bending and cutting is to $$ I will do it myself.

Anyone have any sheets laying arround? :D

harkinoff

something to do...
We just cut a table out for a friend out at work, 1" plate 5'x 7', should be a killer work bench when done, just a little heavy to move around, built it on steel casters so its can move around......

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
harkinoff said:
We just cut a table out for a friend out at work, 1" plate 5'x 7', should be a killer work bench when done, just a little heavy to move around, built it on steel casters so its can move around......
:eek:
Oh My....

Can you stick a piece of that under your arm and drop it by??....hehehe :rofl:

harkinoff

something to do...
Shawn said:
:eek:
Oh My....

Can you stick a piece of that under your arm and drop it by??....hehehe :rofl:

I wish, well with a little help with a forklift :p This piece was going to the scrap yard, So we cut off the junk and made it a nice looking piece of metal.. Sad to think how much steel out there just gets loaded up and hauled off, they are in clean up mode I guess now....