Cracked Oil Pan

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I was doing an f-body oil pan swap on my 5.3 tonight. I was almost done and torquing down the last bolt to spec when I heard a POP!

Upon closer inspection I noticed that I cracked the oil pan at the back. The crack runs right along the very outer corner of the pan diagonal right next the bolt hole behind the oil filter. it doesn't look like oil will leak from anywhere around that spot.

Is it completely ruined, should I buy a new one? Or, should I wait until it is all ready to go, start it and see if it leaks? <----- I know that may seem ghetto but this damn thing is brand spanking new and I don't really want to buy another one.

Sooooo NOT happy right now.
IMG_4809.JPG

Last edited:

S-10Dave

Also, unlike a traditional stamped steel pan, you can't just snug them all then final torque each one. You gotta work up in steps. For these bolts, increments of 10 ft- pounds is pushing your luck.

S-10Dave

I fabricated my own mild steel oilpan for my 4.8L LSx, the bottom of it is 1/4" thick, the sides are 1/8", no chance of hurting it on any rocks, but the thing ended up costing me nearly as much as just buying a new cast aluminum pan, so my only advantage is the one i built will fit anywhere an 80s SBC car pan would fit.
Id sell it for the right price.

D

Deleted member 12904

I fabricated my own mild steel oilpan for my 4.8L LSx, the bottom of it is 1/4" thick, the sides are 1/8", no chance of hurting it on any rocks, but the thing ended up costing me nearly as much as just buying a new cast aluminum pan, so my only advantage is the one i built will fit anywhere an 80s SBC car pan would fit.
Id sell it for the right price.

You should post a pic I am curious to see how you built it.