Cracked RCI Fuel Cell

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Yesterday we went out and screwed around at Mini Moab for a few yours. Probably would have been a lot longer but it was freezing ass cold and we all had young kids with us. This was probably the 5th time my buggy has been out since completing the build last fall. It does not get rallied or beat on. Every trip has had at least one of my kids in the back seat (4 and 5 years old) and I am pretty cautious with them in the car, slow crawling in Moab and one tame Sand Hallow trip. After getting home last night I unloaded the buggy, parked the buggy in the garage and went inside. After probably 20 minutes or so I went out in the garage to grab something and noticed a huge puddle of fuel on the floor. From there I proceeded to siphon the fuel from the tank and had the tank empty and removed from the buggy in less than an hour and a half.

Now, what do I do?

I have heard RCI will fix or replace the cell for free, you just pay shipping. I have yet to call them to see if this is true or not. Since this cell already cracked with such little driving time and mild driving at that I am not sure how I feel about throwing another one in (this is an option though). I've had three RCI cells in different cars and all of them lasted a long time with no problems but the cracking issues are well documented all over the internet. So, I know the chances are good I get another bad one.

I would love to find a steel one with a bladder that is the same size as my 2162A fuel cell. I have done some searching (not a ton) and haven't found one the same size. I really don't want to re-do the mount as Casey Beach made a super slick one. Is there a company out there that makes custom steel cells that isn't going to cost me $1000 or more? Maybe that's my problem, I just bought cheap?

Any input you guys have is welcome. I was planning on tearing down the buggy this winter anyway to paint a bunch of little things that didn't get painted when I did the chassis. So I have some time to figure this one out.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I'm can't remember how big your cell is, but this is what I would consider for a fuel cell.

https://goatbuilt.com/ibex-fuel-tank/

I love this. I can just ratchet strap that puppy down and go on with my life! (kidding)

In all seriousness it wouldn't take a ton or work to make this fit in the back of my buggy. It is probably my #1 option at this point. If customers would stop trying to buy stuff from me I could actually sit down and research this a little. Works been hectic today which is a nice change :cool:.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I would recommend having a good welder just reweld your tank. RCI aluminum tanks are notorious for cracking at the welds. I’ve personally seen 5. Each one was fine with a real weld put on it

If you send it back to rci you are getting the same thing back.

Asbjorn

I just bought this because I didn’t want to take a chance on their crack-prone aluminum cell. https://www.rciracing.com/rockcrawler.html

I haven’t actually filled it and run it yet, so I can’t speak for the longevity. I will say that I was less than impressed with the finish work around the holes in the steel top and the powder coat, but for what I paid, I can live with it.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I would recommend having a good welder just reweld your tank. RCI aluminum tanks are notorious for cracking at the welds. I’ve personally seen 5. Each one was fine with a real weld put on it

I am pretty I saw you live up in Davis/Weber county somewhere. Is there a local shop up here that you recommend to fix it?

Jesser04

I wonder if jakes radiator in bountiful would want to mess with it. I’ve had them fix cooling coils on a machine at work a couple years back.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I spoke with someone at RCI today and in case anyone runs across this thread for future reference here is what they will do.

Two options;
1. They will fix your cell for $50. You pay the freight back, it is about $30 from here, they will re-weld it and send it back to you.

2. They will replace your aluminum cell with the rock crawler cell linked in post #7 on this thread. You will need to supply a picture of the crack and they will sell you the rock crawler cell for $200. I believe it retails for about $340.

I chose to go with option #2. I loved the Goat Built cell that @RockChucker references above but for the price of what RCI sold me a new one for I couldn't pass it up. To have a plastic bladder, steel housing and not worry about my cell ever cracking again is a great piece of mind. Now to start taking apart the pickups in my existing cell and start modifying everything to fit...

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Ohhh, and I wanted to give RCI a shout out for having awesome customer service! They were awesome to work with and took care of right away. If I am ever in the market for another fuel cell and/or some safety equipment I am definitely calling them again. Great people and a good company!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Crap, I replaced mine earlier this year and I would have jumped on that deal for the other cell. I guess that’s what I get for not calling haha