Crawler Hauler

Bart

As some of you know I towed doubles for a couple of years because I hate spending money on hotel rooms. That worked okay, but there was always an extra element of concern and attention required to deal with the combination, and it was a pain to hook up and load.
doubles.jpg

I sold the 5th wheel last spring and started to weigh options of what I could do. A motor home would be easiest solution, but my wife doesn't like to camp in a MH, and that added an extra vehicle to license, insure and maintain. A larger truck with a flat bed was considered, but I drive my truck around occasionally, so that didn't work. The final option was a gooseneck with a camper and enough deck to load the Jeep behind. I went back and forth on this until Marc Bryson posted his trailer for sale and I couldn't resist going down the rabbit hole.

F93909A0-6294-4F75-B1BE-7213C1768A62.jpeg

I started looking for campers and almost bought one from Carl (ILean), and then almost pulled the trigger on a newer Arctic Fox with a slide out. I decided I wanted one with a generator, AC, microwave and bathroom with a shower for those longer stays, i.e. Sand Hollow, KOH. I found this 2002 Fleetwood Elkhorn and bought it on Wednesday.

c2.jpg
c4.jpg

Bart

Hahahahaha, that's too funny. I actually picked the trailer up from Marc and dropped it at my son-in-laws house, because they have more room than I do. The camper gets delivered to my house tomorrow, because I don't have a full sized truck to haul it. Once it's here I'll bring the gooseneck home and start the process. I do have plans for the cradle that will be made from 2x2 .120 wall steel.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
This was my exact plan and almost bought Marc's trailer. That was at the same time that we decided to go the buggy route so I made the difficult decision to not spend the money. Glad to see your doing exactly what I was planning on doing. I have that same camper in a lance set up. Solar, generator, separate shower ect. Love it.

Bart

This was put on hold for a bit because of some issues, but is now back on track. After deliberating I decided to go with a wood stand over metal, because of the weight savings and cost. Because the jacks will also help support the camper on the trailer it was a no brainer and I needed to kick this back into gear. The 4x4s and bottom 2x4s are pressure treated lumber, and the rest is redwood. It will all get painted black in the spring.

The next project was getting the camper jack extensions built so that I can back the gooseneck under the camper. Luckily I know this cool guy with a plaz table and he cut these plates from 1/4" steel. Thanks Carl. They are 7" wide and will give me almost 5" of extension on each side once attached to the jack plates. I used a 2x2 section of angle iron to build the attachment for the rear and had to hand drill the holes, and then weld the angle and extensions together. I got those finished and painted over the weekend, and finally went and picked the trailer up from storage yesterday.

This is the first time both the camper and trailer have been in the same location and actually the first time I've had the trailer at my house. I need to buy 14 bolts today and then extend 12 wires on the electric jacks to finally get to the install. I plan to have everything ready to load this up next weekend.

stand.jpgextf.jpgextr.jpgt&c.jpg

Asbjorn

I’m following what you do on this closely. I have half of the equipment this far, just waiting for a camper to come up for sale like you picked up (e.g. with a slide, dry bath, etc).
5716E4E3-80F9-4A7E-A3EF-F6E29859C109.jpeg

Bart

I actually went with a camper with no slide or dry bath, in an effort to cut weight. My requirements were a built in generator, ac, microwave, and bathroom/shower with holding tanks. BTW, loving the low boy trailer.

Last edited:

Bart

Finished installing the jack extensions and stretching the electrical on Saturday and then the moment of truth had arrived. Luckily my SIL, Jared was able to come over and help, and I'm glad he was there. Loading the camper on the trailer was an experience, to say the least. I was able to get it high enough to put the camper on the back of the trailer and then move it forward in the carport. The jacks were very squirrely at that height so I knew I needed another 12ish inches or so to under the jacks to get it high enough to get over the stand. Let's just say that OSHA would not have been impressed. After an hour of watching the camper sway, centering the trailer, and basically second guessing the whole project, we got it loaded. Took it for it's first ride this morning to go and get some repairs done. It rode pretty well down the road.

Attachments

• Hover.jpg
    Hover.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Loaded2.jpg
    Loaded2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Loaded.jpg
    Loaded.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 59

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
look-at-all-the-room-for-activities.jpg

TONS of storage options on the sides of the camper, as well as under the cabover part. :cool:

Bart

The jacks were never on the ice, but one time the truck was backing over a small section and raised the front of the trailer up a bit, which again, swayed the camper. Fun times.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That looks like about enough for your nerves to handle for the day lol

I too saw the storage possibilities and was excited. Looks like a win!

Asbjorn

Looks good on the trailer!

I’ll echo what the rest have said - loading the two campers I’ve owned has always been a sketchy experience. I anticipate that getting a camper on my trailer will be no different.

Bart

Looks good on the trailer!

I’ll echo what the rest have said - loading the two campers I’ve owned has always been a sketchy experience. I anticipate that getting a camper on my trailer will be no different.
I have loaded and unloaded many different types and styles of campers,, from pop ups to large campers with slide outs, and have to admit this was a whole different experience based on the height needed to clear the deck and platform. It was nice not having to deal with inner fenders and bed sides. I do like your lowboy trailer, for that reason and for less wind resistance. If I could find the right deal on one I'd think about making the switch and going that direction. The one drawback is my JK is so wide that I have to drive over fenders.