Crew cab hot rod

NYCEGUY01

Car needs a loose converter in the worst way. It's only stalling to 1600ish and it leaves the line soooooooo slow...

Still pulls good once it gets rolling though.

A converter and a cam and this thing will be a beast...lol

The guy in the other lane was surprised a bit I think... he saw my car and wanted to run me. I think he thought he would be faster than he was and I would be an easy target...
Nope....

20230929_165820.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Well, finally made it home.
2k miles on the motorhome and except for 2 trailer tires everything went smooth.

Ran a bunch more passes on sat and figured out how to flash the converter to like 1800 on the launch and it ran 3 passes at 12.3x.

Unfortunately I red-lit in the semi final when it slid forward while I was leaning on the converter...

The guy I was racing looked quick so I was pushing it for a better launch and blew it... and then he ran a 13.9 and had I not screwed the pooch I would have easily covered him.

The winner in the NA class ran a 11.9 so I most likely wouldnt have won even if I made the final round.

At some point before April for ls fest it will get a new 3500 stall converter.
Possibly a cam for a little more power as well. I do like the idea of 11's on a stock motor and Im pretty sure I can get an 11 second pass with a decent launch and better 60'

slips.jpg

Last edited:

NYCEGUY01

12.5 doesn't suck at all. As you mention, I bet there is a lot more in there? (I should have dragged Buick down with you? Seems like a cool event?)
It a good time for sure.
Lots of cool stuff there and hanging out at a big bonfire every night till 12 or 1 with eveeryone else, Including Dave, Lucky, Derek, and even Dave Chapelle who drove his mustang there like 1200 miles this year...
Every single Motortrend host is just a cool guy to BS with and have a beer.

Its all for fun and there is no pressure like I remember at drag races in the old days..
Lots of thrashing in the pits all weekend on the beaters as well..lol

NYCEGUY01

David's commentary on your Rambler is awesome, sounds like you surprised him with your run!

I might need something for next years Zip Tie Drags... Bonneville on 35's with a lot of motor??
Last year the rusty stepside on 35's was pretty fun....

I already ordered a torque converter and a cam Kit for the Rambler...LOL
Ill be making the drive again next year for sure...
It will at least be in the 11's no matter what, Im 99% sure it will run a 11.something with just a converter.

I may even borrow a bigger trailer that will haul 2 rigs and take the stepside on 37's just for the burnout/donut box...

NYCEGUY01

Well, Unwrapped the Rambler and took it for a drive this morning. I forgot how much fun it is to drive...lol

As usual I have 4 projects going but Im gonna get it pulled in the garage in the next couple weekends for a cam swap and a converter..

LS Fest aint gonna happen but at a minimum Ill get it back to Duct Tape drags again and run some 11's with it.
I really want do add little turbo or centrifugal blower like I have on my C10...... Its only $$ right...lol

I do have a LSA setup still on order from Boost district for my other Silverado hot rod. Hmmm...... Do I really need a hood ?

Mike, I may need to drop of the 8.8 for some gears too..lol

NYCEGUY01

Using my 5' pry bar I was able to "adjust" the firewall up a bit and get that bolt out.
I may even put it back in..lol

Then it all came out, converter swapped, and it's all back together. The rest was pretty uneventful.

Now, I have a few cams from various projects here and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to use one of those or order something a little more rowdy given this isn't exactly a daily driver..lol

I'm torn because the useable range on everything I want to put in it ( purely for the chop of course..lol) is higher than I'll spin it due to the 4l60 that's in it...

I know exactly the smart thing I should do here. But will I ? Lol

Because racecar....

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Hey JJ, the wife and I passed by your place Saturday early evening. Honked as we drove by, you were just getting in your white shortbed. I wasn't really paying attention then the wife said "hey isn't that your buddy that lives out here"? Sure enough.

NYCEGUY01

Hey JJ, the wife and I passed by your place Saturday early evening. Honked as we drove by, you were just getting in your white shortbed. I wasn't really paying attention then the wife said "hey isn't that your buddy that lives out here"? Sure enough.
By the time I looked up after you honked I wasnt sure that was your truck...lol

Decided on a cam and it will be here in a day or two. Ill get back out there Sat morning and be making chop chop sounds by late afternoon Im sure... Ended up ordering a BTR LS2 stage 3 cam. Should be fairly aggresive without going too far... Ive always ben a "bottom of the page" cam guy anyway..LOL

Its 231/244 @ .050 on a 112.5 and has .631 /.615 lift. Not exactly small but nothing crazy...

Before I started in on the converter I did finish up another project that needed done as well. Last year I put a pair of Summit poly racing seats in it because the ones I wanted were in backorder. I finally got the seats in it I had in mind from the start... I did spend 3 hrs making new munts and getting them all bolted in but it was SOOOOO worth the effort. These are a Ton better...

seats.jpg

NYCEGUY01

Well, had the day off work so the new cam is all installed and valve springs are swapped. Had to order pushrods to get the right length so I'm waiting on parts again.

Gonne redo the exhaust tomorrow, decided to get bigger pipes under it. The muffler shop bent 2.5 is really 2" in all the bends at best. 3" mandrel pipes with an x under the rear of the transmission incoming..

Lastly, gonna change out the flange on the rear axle, it's leaking and I need to do a pinion seal anyway, for a real yoke and order a new driveshaft, that tiny 1310 front ujoint scares me with the sticky tires and ls power. Gonna do 1350's on both ends and not worry about it anymore..

Rather than disassemble the entire front of the car for the cam swap, and any future cam swaps.
The car also now has a custom 3" cam escape tunnel.

Because racecar..lol

Probably wont be any cool chop chop sounds until next weekend unfortunately. I'll get the motor and exhaust all buttoned up tomorrow and be able to just throw in the pushrods when they arrive and start tweaking the tuning next weekend if the weather is decent...

Messenger_creation_c789bbc5-686e-4169-b154-c5862bf1ea4f.jpg