Cummins R2.8 Repower Crate Engine

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
From their Website:
The R2.8 Turbo Diesel is a powerful 2.8-liter 4-cylinder engine targeted as a cleaner and more efficient alternative to many older original gasoline and diesel engines used in iconic small pickups, SUV's, and 4x4's that are beyond their useful life*. The combination of low end torque, low fuel consumption, low engine operating temperatures, modern high-pressure common rail fuel injection, and compact packaging makes the R2.8 Turbo Diesel the ideal engine to power your project wherever your adventure may take you.Our team of Enthusiasts have put together a package that provides you everything you need to start your engine with the exception of a battery, cooling package, and of course, diesel fuel to get your new Cummins running as quickly as possible.

Im sure this will be a popular swap in the coming years since it looks like the idea has a LOT of support behind it and Cummins did their research. The idea of a brand new, 2.8L turbocharged 4cyl diesel gets everyones mind racing over what to swap it in. A 500lb motor putting out 161hp/267ftlb doesnt sound all that impressive for a pig like a JKU but in something like an older landcruiser its an overland guys dream at 30mpg. The kits are available for order from Cummins at $8999 and they are CARB Certified for 2000 model year and older vehicles. There is also a fun calculator on the Cummins repower page to figure out final drive RPM at speed. https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Right now there are 2 companies that I know of making motor/transmission adapters for it:
Advance Adapters claims to have a GM Automatic(4L60e) and Jeep Manual (AX15/NV3550) kit coming out.
Axis Industries is coming out with a GM Automatic(4l60e/4L80e/6L80e/6L90e), Manual T56, Jeep Manual(Ax15/NV3550/NSG370) and Chrysler Automatic(8HP70 - Yes, an 8 speed auto)

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've got two somebody can have! My neighbor got the snip 10 years ago and just found out his wife is pregnant! First thing she said to him was, "before you say anything, it's yours". :rofl:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've got two somebody can have! My neighbor got the snip 10 years ago and just found out his wife is pregnant! First thing she said to him was, "before you say anything, it's yours". :rofl:

I thought for a second you meant you had two of these crate motors. We were going to have a talk.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Yea I'd be interested in the crate motor. All ready got the man nuggets.

Dirt every day put one in a TJ ( the Cummings not the testicle). Seem like a great crawler motor

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
They had a booth here at SEMA. Realistically, after looking at it in person, I think it would be a great option for a swap. If I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate to throw one in a project.